The Student Room Group

What were your GCSE results?

Scroll to see replies

7 As, 1 A* and one C (curse you, music)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by CoolCavy
huh? :frown: i wasn't saying anything like that.

Ahhh sorry mate, I accidently sent the message to you I was meant to send it to the kid bragging about how he failed his GCSE's and still managed to 'rock n roll' without knowing his times tables
Reply 22
Original post by alexcboar
When I did my GCSE's I didn't revise or care about them. I spent all my free time learning how to program, I ended up with DDDDDEEFF. I remember people making fun of me. But i learnt lots of programming skills and within the first month of everyone going to Sixth Form I landed a SE job contracting 370 quid a day. The reply I got when I posted my first paycheck on facebook, lol it went something along the lines of "LIAR" "YOU ARE A RETARD" "YOU FAILED GCSE YOU FAILED LIFE" and everyone thought I lied until I bought my first car, a 35G Scirocco so I mean grades don't mean shi*

Don't follow the sheep people. Pythagoras theorem is not going to get you a job.

Your a very lucky individual then but don't propagate being lazy with academics like you where because the vast majority of people that followed your route of failing the grades and still not caring are licking windows and scrubbing plates.

Life isn't about money soon like everyone else you will end up in the same sized grave as the men that clean the bins no matter how much money or how good your car is, id rather leave a legacy of being an intelligent academic that became a surgeon and saved peoples lives then a lucky kid that was too stupid to pass his GCSE's
Original post by Mosaab
Ahhh sorry mate, I accidently sent the message to you I was meant to send it to the kid bragging about how he failed his GCSE's and still managed to 'rock n roll' without knowing his times tables

Oh ok thanks, don't worry about it :smile: I agree with what you posted about alexcboar
I did my GCSE's last year and got:
Maths: A*
Chem: A*
Bio: A*
Physics: A*
English lit: A*
English lang: A*
French: A*
History: A
Short course RS: A
Drama: C lel

BTEC IT: D*
AS Creative Writing: A

I did chem, bio, maths and English lit for AS and about to start A2 with chem, maths and bio :biggrin:!
11a*
Original post by chumaniward
11a*

That is amazing! well done :biggrin:
I see people with like 10 A* grades and s***. I could never get those results....:frown:
english language- a*
english literature- a*
maths- a*
french- a*
german- a*
core science- a*
additional science-a*
religion- a*
statistics- a
economics- a <---(dont hate but im gutted about this as its what i want to do with my life)
Original post by Mosaab
Your a very lucky individual then but don't propagate being lazy with academics like you where because the vast majority of people that followed your route of failing the grades and still not caring are licking windows and scrubbing plates.

Life isn't about money soon like everyone else you will end up in the same sized grave as the men that clean the bins no matter how much money or how good your car is, id rather leave a legacy of being an intelligent academic that became a surgeon and saved peoples lives then a lucky kid that was too stupid to pass his GCSE's

Okay 'smart ass'. I am smarter than you, and I always will be. If you become a surgeon the software that you use and applications that you will use to save peoples lives, yeah those?? Guess what type of people make them? People like me make them. I have worked on Military Systems, I have worked on Windows, I have worked for Nvidia. Do you know how many millions of peoples system run my code? No matter how many lives you save I will make more of a difference. I put more effort into my programming skills than anyone has put into their GCSE's. Without software engineers surgeons would save lot less people, we would be more at risk by threats such as ISIS. Software engineers are the reason you are on this forum right now, they are the reason we run advanced systems that orbit the earth. So before you think you are intelligent trying to call me dumb just remember people like me are the reason that 99% of modern technology fuc*ing works.

Also when you are 30 and have to support a family and pay off a mortgage and finance your car then say money doesn't matter.

Just because you scored a few A*'s you think you are so clever. My software knowledge is greater than a PHD so say what you want you have not even started your life yet, kid.
(edited 8 years ago)
9A*, 2A. Hoping to do medicine, possibly apply to Oxbridge but not certain yet
Original post by FrogSpawn
9A*, 2A. Hoping to do medicine, possibly apply to Oxbridge but not certain yet

Do a degree in Software Engineering it is really one of the funnest jobs out there, you always get new projects to work on and you will also have the knowledge to create anything you can imagine. Every year or two you will change contracts and get a new project with new people, you are very valued in the workplace. You get to see how many people use your applications it is honestly very thrilling. There is no limit to what you can create.
Original post by Mosaab

What did you learn in GCSE computing may I ask, I see you got an A in it. By the time I left school I was fluent in Java/C++/Python, how does it compare to that?
Okay you were happy with your results but are you really unique, just think about how many pieces of paper were handed out in the same format with the same quantity of those letters on. A, B, C, D, E, F, G, U? Does it even matter what you get? How would it hold you back? Would it even hold you back? I know people that got straight A*/A's and some of them work at Tesco full time. Employers want something unique and if you can be that something that is unique there is no more 'euphoric' feeling in the world than that, and that is what will bring you happiness; knowing that you are different but in a good way.

An employer wants the best employee and if that means that two people with the exact same CV/ presence apply and one has better grades of course the one with the better grades will get hired. And of course it matters what grades people get. For those who want to have more academic careers university is a must and therefore grades to get into university DO matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay 'smart ass'. I am smarter than you, and I always will be. If you become a surgeon the software that you use and applications that you will use to save peoples lives, yeah those?? Guess what type of people make them? People like me make them. I have worked on Military Systems, I have worked on Windows, I have worked for Nvidia. Do you know how many millions of peoples system run my code? No matter how many lives you save I will make more of a difference. I put more effort into my programming skills than anyone has put into their GCSE's. Without software engineers surgeons would save lot less people, we would be more at risk by threats such as ISIS. Software engineers are the reason you are on this forum right now, they are the reason we run advanced systems that orbit the earth. So before you think you are intelligent trying to call me dumb just remember people like me are the reason that 99% of modern technology fuc*ing works.

Also when you are 30 and have to support a family and pay off a mortgage and finance your car then say money doesn't matter.

Just because you scored a few A*'s you think you are so clever. My software knowledge is greater than a PHD so say what you want you have not even started your life yet, kid.

Yeah but can you go to university?
Original post by WannabeDoctor98
An employer wants the best employee and if that means that two people with the exact same CV/ presence apply and one has better grades of course the one with the better grades will get hired. And of course it matters what grades people get. For those who want to have more academic careers university is a must and therefore grades to get into university DO matter.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you sure, the last three jobs I have done have all paid 100000+ and my highest qualification is D at GCSE. I know for a fact that most other applicants have degrees.

If it came down to it and we could only have doctors or software engineers I would keep the doctors/surgeons..and is there really a need to get so worked up about it? A PHD is a lot of knowledge and I don't think you have the understanding of what it entails to judge that it's lesser knowledge?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lewishier
Yeah but can you go to university?

First of all why would I need to? I make 100000+ a year and every year it increases. And what I work on is most likely more complex than anything at university.

Secondly if I sent oxford all the stuff I have worked on I bet I would be at the front of the queue if I applied.

I can't remember who mentioned being a surgeon but next year I am going to work for a private organization in the US and we are going to create a machine that can perform organ transplants (starting off with liver transplants but I will be working in a team of 100 people that include hardware engineers software engineers and surgeons etc...). The salary is 342000 dollars on a 2 year contract. So look out for that coming in the next 5-10 years.
First of all why would I need to? I make 100000+ a year and every year it increases. And what I work on is most likely more complex than anything at university.

Secondly if I sent oxford all the stuff I have worked on I bet I would be at the front of the queue if I applied.

I can't remember who mentioned being a surgeon but next year I am going to work for a private organization in the US and we are going to create a machine that can perform organ transplants (starting off with liver transplants but I will be working in a team of 100 people that include hardware engineers software engineers and surgeons etc...). The salary is 342000 dollars on a 2 year contract. So look out for that coming in the next 5-10 years.

Lemme correct myself:

Yeah but can you go around life not flashing around how you still have a job even though you failed GCSEs?

Sure, you may have a good job and you probably worked hard at programming to be good at it. But I doubt someone who failed their GCSEs but spending a lot of time learning about anatomy will get a job as a doctor any time soon. Good on you for succeeding but don't make it look like failing GCSEs can still be a success.
Original post by WannabeDoctor98
If it came down to it and we could only have doctors or software engineers I would keep the doctors/surgeons..and is there really a need to get so worked up about it? A PHD is a lot of knowledge and I don't think you have the understanding of what it entails to judge that it's lesser knowledge?

Posted from TSR Mobile

But you are only 16 you don't understand the importance of software. Bill Gates is the richest man on earth because of software. Imagine if windows got deleted from every hospital now? Lots of people would die...

Quick Reply

Latest