The Student Room Group

Can someone get into sixth-form with low grades

I got a grade 2 in my biology exam, a 3 in history and a 3 on health&social care but my dream sixth-form only accepts 5s in science to do health&social care and needs basically a grade 5 in all subjects. Can I still go
Reply 1
Original post by Annonomus_2
I got a grade 2 in my biology exam, a 3 in history and a 3 on health&social care but my dream sixth-form only accepts 5s in science to do health&social care and needs basically a grade 5 in all subjects. Can I still go

What year are you in?Also why the poor results?
It is unlikely, however depending on how full the sixthform is will also depend. A levels are hard work, so they generally don't accept students who do not make the entry requirements which is fair enough. To put it plain, if you have not coped well / got the needed grades at GCSES you will not cope at A level. A level is a hell of a lot harder.

I got 5s within all of my GCSES (i just met the entry requirements to study what i wanted to), i struggled throughout the whole of sixthform, i found it very difficult. I was getting Es and Us throughout all my mocks, my teachers basically gave up on me! At the end of my A levels i took home AAB which I worked extremely hard for.

It sounds like you are particularly interested in studying health and social care, you can also study this at college so if you are not allowed to join sixthform you have another option.

If you really want to go to sixthform i suggest speaking to your teachers. Your GCSE results dont define you, but to get some good A level results will take some effort and determination. Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by Scotney
What year are you in?Also why the poor results?

In year 10. Poor results due to over revising and then anxiety kicked in during exams and I forgot what I revised
Reply 4
In year 10. Poor results due to over revising and then anxiety kicked in during exams and I forgot what I revised

How were you doing during the year?
Reply 5
Original post by Scotney
How were you doing during the year?

Education or mental health
Reply 6
Education or mental health

Both?Like was it just the exams or were you struggling all year?
Reply 7
Original post by jellycat2004
It is unlikely, however depending on how full the sixthform is will also depend. A levels are hard work, so they generally don't accept students who do not make the entry requirements which is fair enough. To put it plain, if you have not coped well / got the needed grades at GCSES you will not cope at A level. A level is a hell of a lot harder.

I got 5s within all of my GCSES (i just met the entry requirements to study what i wanted to), i struggled throughout the whole of sixthform, i found it very difficult. I was getting Es and Us throughout all my mocks, my teachers basically gave up on me! At the end of my A levels i took home AAB which I worked extremely hard for.

It sounds like you are particularly interested in studying health and social care, you can also study this at college so if you are not allowed to join sixthform you have another option.

If you really want to go to sixthform i suggest speaking to your teachers. Your GCSE results dont define you, but to get some good A level results will take some effort and determination. Good luck!

Hi, which a level subjects you take?
Reply 8
Original post by Scotney
Both?Like was it just the exams or were you struggling all year?

The whole year, I've never been great with learning, especially when it's academic related but the school put pressure on everyone to do this and do that which then makes me struggle and stress more

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending