The Student Room Group

how will my gcse results affect my university choices

hello, i received my gcse results today and was very disappointed, while i achieved the necessary grades needed to get the a level courses which i needed my results were not outstanding so i was thinking of resitting my english gcses ;those were the most humiliating(grade 6). i plan to apply to russell group universities and am aware that gcse grades are taken into account. what do you suppose i should do ?
Reply 1
I would suggest taking a look at the university websites for the degree you want to do. Often times they say whether they put importance on GCSE grades or not. Most of the time they take A Level grades into greater consideration. However, GCSE grades do go on the personal statement so it is not a bad option. If you're still confused ask a guidance counsellor if possible or retake them if you feel you can handle the work load alongside your A Levels.
Best of luck!!!
the only time I've know GCSE's to be very influential in university decisions is for oxford applicants (supposedly cambridge weighs GCSEs a lot less [?]); my rejection feedback after my interview said a part of why i was rejected was down to my 'below average' GCSE scores (all 7-9). outside of that universities seem more concerned with predicted a-levels, personal statement and any admissions tests; e.g. uni of bristol supposedly weighs candidates 40/40/20 on these things, leading to the assumption that GCSEs for bristol arent a point of consideration. may not be the case of all russell groups but if you've gotten into your desired courses and sixth form/college, i wouldnt worry too much
Original post by fraiere
hello, i received my gcse results today and was very disappointed, while i achieved the necessary grades needed to get the a level courses which i needed my results were not outstanding so i was thinking of resitting my english gcses ;those were the most humiliating(grade 6). i plan to apply to russell group universities and am aware that gcse grades are taken into account. what do you suppose i should do ?

oh hello i think i replied to one of your other forums :biggrin:! but trust me, like i said earlier and like somebody has already said, unless you are planning to apply to oxbridge unis - most of the other ones do not take your GCSEs into account! (for example, i want to study linguistics at york which is a RG uni but i got a 6 in english lit and a 7 in english lang which isnt exactly oxbridge standard). but i guess it depends on the course and how competitive it can be. what unis and courses are you thinking of applying to? i know it's still early days...
Reply 4
Original post by bjones02520
the only time I've know GCSE's to be very influential in university decisions is for oxford applicants (supposedly cambridge weighs GCSEs a lot less [?]); my rejection feedback after my interview said a part of why i was rejected was down to my 'below average' GCSE scores (all 7-9). outside of that universities seem more concerned with predicted a-levels, personal statement and any admissions tests; e.g. uni of bristol supposedly weighs candidates 40/40/20 on these things, leading to the assumption that GCSEs for bristol arent a point of consideration. may not be the case of all russell groups but if you've gotten into your desired courses and sixth form/college, i wouldnt worry too much
thanks a lot for this information it was very helpful!!
Reply 5
literally do not worry. i got mostly sixes and i'm in a russel group university. i also failed one. they don't care!!!! Its the A levels that actually matter
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by s140805
literally do not worry. i got mostly sixes and i'm in a russel group university. i also failed one. they don't care!!!!

yes seee! you can achieve your dreams <3
Reply 7
Original post by emm4nuella
oh hello i think i replied to one of your other forums :biggrin:! but trust me, like i said earlier and like somebody has already said, unless you are planning to apply to oxbridge unis - most of the other ones do not take your GCSEs into account! (for example, i want to study linguistics at york which is a RG uni but i got a 6 in english lit and a 7 in english lang which isnt exactly oxbridge standard). but i guess it depends on the course and how competitive it can be. what unis and courses are you thinking of applying to? i know it's still early days...
thanks a lot this was so reassuring<3
Reply 8
Original post by s140805
literally do not worry. i got mostly sixes and i'm in a russel group university. i also failed one. they don't care!!!! Its the A levels that actually matter

oh wow!! which one if you do not mind me asking?
Reply 9
Original post by fraiere
oh wow!! which one if you do not mind me asking?

the university of manchester!
Reply 10
Original post by s140805
the university of manchester!

that is great i am hoping it can be the same for me!! what were your alevel results if you do not mind me asking?
Reply 11
Original post by fraiere
that is great i am hoping it can be the same for me!! what were your alevel results if you do not mind me asking?

i got AAB in english lit, biology and geography :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest