The Student Room Group

Motivation to study URGENT! UKCAT! Tips and Advice

I find that I have no motivation to study-I keep on getting easily distracted. for my as levels i achieved ABAD. I reckon if I had worked it could have been all As but I get so easily distracted by my phone, facebook,twitter,YouTube and now even tsr. I struggle to sit down and work efficiently and end up wasting my time.

I have tried timetables but I can never stick to them

I have my UKCAT exam on thursday after postponing it twice! Although this time I have vowed to myself I will not reschedule it.

Can someone please give me tips and advice on how to study effectively without getting distracted

Thanks
Think of how bad it would feel to fail. I mean really think about it and how it would affect everything. Give yourself 5 minutes thinking time.
Reply 2
I have the same problem! And I also rescheduled it cause I didn't study enough :'(
Reply 3
ahh ikr its really depressing! @chzzzz
Reply 4
I'm in same position eds m except I'm arrogant and think I'll do well so I'm procrastinating about practicing for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay, imagine this scenario:
You go into the test center on Thursday, painfully under-prepared. Imagine starting the first section, VR, and running out of time after answering only 10 questions out of 44 because you failed to practice to improve your speed. Imagine not finding any of the patterns on AR and just guessing all of them. Imagine not being able to translate any of the codes on DA properly and just picking answers you felt fitted best.
Now, imagine the rising panic you feel as you exit the exam room and realise that you've screwed up.
You get your results on a piece of paper and it says:
VR- 420
QR- 560
AR- 400
DA- 390
SJT- Band 4
How do you feel knowing that you averaged 442.5? Knowing that you're instantly going to be rejected from every single medical school you apply to. Knowing that, next summer, when all of your friends are going be going to be going off to festivals and pre-uni parties, you're going to be stuck at home preparing for your second go at the UKCAT.

^^ Sounds depressing doesn't it? Here's what you're going to do:
(a) Get an internet blocker. I have one called 'StayFocused'. You add certain websites to it such as youtube, facebook, TSR etc and it gives you a limited amount of time on it everyday (for example, mine gives me half an hour). After your time is up, you can use all other websites other than the ones on your blocked list. And it's almost impossible to disable- to disable it you have to type out this massive paragraph which tells you about the dangers of procrastination. And if you make even one typo, you start all over again. Try it, it's effective :h:
(b) When you're working, turn off your phone and give it to one of your parents to hold on to.

That gets rid of most of your distractions. Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by thechemistress
You go into the test center on Thursday, painfully under-prepared. Imagine starting the first section, VR, and running out of time after answering only 10 questions out of 44 because you failed to practice to improve your speed. Imagine not finding any of the patterns on AR and just guessing all of them. Imagine not being able to translate any of the codes on DA properly and just picking answers you felt fitted best.
Now, imagine the rising panic you feel as you exit the exam room and realise that you've screwed up.
VR- 420
QR- 560
AR- 400
DA- 390
SJT- Band 4
How do you feel knowing that you averaged 442.5? Knowing that you're instantly going to be rejected from every single medical school you apply to. Knowing that, next summer, when all of your friends are going be going to be going off to festivals and pre-uni parties, you're going to be stuck at home preparing for your second go at the UKCAT.

(a) Get an internet blocker. I have one called 'StayFocused'. You add certain websites to it such as youtube, facebook, TSR etc and it gives you a limited amount of time on it everyday (for example, mine gives me half an hour). After your time is up, you can use all other websites other than the ones on your blocked list. And it's almost impossible to disable- to disable it you have to type out this massive paragraph which tells you about the dangers of procrastination. And if you make even one typo, you start all over again. Try it, it's effective :h:
(b) When you're working, turn off your phone and give it to one of your parents to hold on to.

Thank you so much! This was very helpful!
Reply 7
Original post by thechemistress
VR- 420
QR- 560
AR- 400
DA- 390
SJT- Band 4

See, another reason why I admire you. You're such an inspiration.
Original post by Cpj16
Thank you so much! This was very helpful!

No problem :smile: I hope your UKCAT goes well! :biggrin:

Original post by f.loco
See, another reason why I admire you. You're such an inspiration.

Aww, that's so sweet. Thank you, you're way too nice :h:
Reply 9
Aww, that's so sweet. Thank you, you're way too nice :h:

Hehe you're welcome the chemistress. May I ask what health ur PS is in? And do u have PS tips u can kindly share to us or any helpful PS links? <3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much

Latest