The Student Room Group

Revision Motivation

It's half term and I have barely revised, I have lost all my motivation and I still have 5 more a levels, I keep feeling guilty for taking time away. I really have lost my mojo and I'm worrying that I'm going to fall behind. Is there any tips on how I can get my motivation back?
Reply 1
Original post by georgia2005
It's half term and I have barely revised, I have lost all my motivation and I still have 5 more a levels, I keep feeling guilty for taking time away. I really have lost my mojo and I'm worrying that I'm going to fall behind. Is there any tips on how I can get my motivation back?

It's completely normal to feel this way, but it's important to remember that your hard work and dedication will pay off in the end.
Think about the long-term benefits of doing well on your exams. It could lead to getting into a better college or landing your dream job. Remember that every small step you take towards studying counts, so don't get discouraged if you don't see results right away.Reward yourself for your hard work and set achievable goals for each study session. Take breaks when you need to and don't forget to get enough sleep and exercise. Surround yourself with positive influences and study with friends to make the process more enjoyable.
Believe in yourself and your abilities. With determination and effort, you can conquer any exam that comes your way. Keep pushing forward and remember that the only way to succeed is to try your best and never give up.

Hi there :smile:

I'm sorry to hear your motivation is down, but try not to worry - I'm sure it will return! Motivation comes and goes, and is a natural part of long term study. Have you tried looking into some study techniques? I used the Pomodoro technique during my A-Levels, for example. It really helped me to focus and encourage myself to take breaks - another really important part of motivation. Studying with friends can be motivating too!

We have a video from a student over on our Student Space website sharing some advice and tips for motivation if you would like to take a look: https://studentspace.org.uk/wellbeing/independent-study-during-the-pandemic

Ultimately, motivation is unique to each person so keep going and find what works best for you. Try not to feel guilty about taking some time away, as this is a key part of balancing your studies.

I hope this helps, and good luck with your exams!

- Dan
Reply 3
Thank you, I just haven't revised in days and feel burnt out. Every time I think about revising it just drains me and I don't want to fall off being so close to the end

Hi @georgia2005,

I'm sorry you have lost your motivation to revise at the moment. Hopefully these tips will help!

1. Try and think of all the fun you will be able to get up to over the summer (holidays, seeing friends, the exams will be over! starting university or your next steps) - I would remind myself of this whenever I felt I was in a rut and it would remind me that after these few months I will have a great summer and will no longer have to think about it
2. Try and not be too hard on yourself - exams are a stressful time and sometimes we can become burnt out after doing so much prior
3. Try and start revising in small bursts of time - this is seen to help with the ability to retain the information which then might also boost your motivation
4. Make sure you have breaks and do things that relax you and that you enjoy - reading? watching tv? gaming? seeing friends?
5. Another option would be to try and revise with friends as they can sometimes hold you accountable and could also help with motivation if it was something like twice a week you meet for a couple of hours revise and just have a chit chat as well.
6. If any of this does work and brings your motivation back then I would advise you to make a revision timetable and breakdown what work needs to be done when and at what points you are having breaks - this can make sure you are still revising and may be motivation of seeing that you have only one more week for example of revision - however if sometimes you don't stick to this don't get stressed some days are better than others at revising.

Hope all that helped, let me know if you have any other questions!:smile:

Rebecca
2nd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student
Hi,
I totally get you, when the thought of revising is too much it can be really tough mentally as you're not enjoying your breaks without feeling guilty. For me, doing even 30 minutes to an hour in the morning made me feel better, as then I feel I've started my day in a good way. I think the best thing to do is make sure your breaks are clearly defined, so when you're studying you're really focussed (no phone, timer of 30 minutes or so on) and when you're having a break you're really relaxed and letting yourself chill! Time is really useful for this, so either divide it up into 'I'm going to spend the morning revising and the afternoon with my friends' or say 'I'm going to do half an hour of work, then watch 1 episode of a show for half an hour or go for a walk for 20 mins'. Also, remember you don't have to do anything alone! Study with friends, or a classmate! If you're struggling to find the motivation from within yourself, do it with someone else. You got this, best of luck with everything!
Reply 6
Original post by Yipiyap_Brooke
Hi,
I totally get you, when the thought of revising is too much it can be really tough mentally as you're not enjoying your breaks without feeling guilty. For me, doing even 30 minutes to an hour in the morning made me feel better, as then I feel I've started my day in a good way. I think the best thing to do is make sure your breaks are clearly defined, so when you're studying you're really focussed (no phone, timer of 30 minutes or so on) and when you're having a break you're really relaxed and letting yourself chill! Time is really useful for this, so either divide it up into 'I'm going to spend the morning revising and the afternoon with my friends' or say 'I'm going to do half an hour of work, then watch 1 episode of a show for half an hour or go for a walk for 20 mins'. Also, remember you don't have to do anything alone! Study with friends, or a classmate! If you're struggling to find the motivation from within yourself, do it with someone else. You got this, best of luck with everything!

Hi, thanks for replying, I completely forgot about this thread haha. I have completed my A levels now I found that using the app Flora and competing with friends on time was a good idea. I hope that you do well if you are studying at the moment!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending