The Student Room Group

Geology & Earth Sciences 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shane Webb
I don't like how their offer varies though. The whole AAA-ABB is a very broad range.

Hmm. My offer was ABB. I'm not sure what they base that on though.
Original post by Plagioclase
Hmm. My offer was ABB. I'm not sure what they base that on though.

Exactly. They don't say. Professor Ian Wood, the admissions tutor that responded to my email told me they based it upon your GCSEs, predicted grades, and AS levels.
I have a suspicion that they may lower offers for people from non-selective state schools. Did you go to one of these?
I actually asked Ian Wood in the email if they did this, and he said no. But still, Durham do it, so it wouldn't surprise me.
If they do I'm disadvantaged because I go to a grammar.
Exactly. They don't say. Professor Ian Wood, the admissions tutor that responded to my email told me they based it upon your GCSEs, predicted grades, and AS levels.
I have a suspicion that they may lower offers for people from non-selective state schools. Did you go to one of these?
I actually asked Ian Wood in the email if they did this, and he said no. But still, Durham do it, so it wouldn't surprise me.
If they do I'm disadvantaged because I go to a grammar.

Professor Wood is a lovely person, I felt absolutely dreadful saying "No" to UCL in the end because of the wonderful staff there. I did go to a non-selective state school but if Prof. Wood said it's not based on what school you go to, then it isn't. There's no reason why he'd lie. I don't understand how it's based on your grades though because I was predicted well beyond their entry requirements yet I got a comparatively easy offer.
Professor Wood is a lovely person, I felt absolutely dreadful saying "No" to UCL in the end because of the wonderful staff there. I did go to a non-selective state school but if Prof. Wood said it's not based on what school you go to, then it isn't. There's no reason why he'd lie. I don't understand how it's based on your grades though because I was predicted well beyond their entry requirements yet I got a comparatively easy offer.

Exactly. Maybe they wanted to entice you to take the offer by making it as low as possible.
Exactly. Maybe they wanted to entice you to take the offer by making it as low as possible.

Honestly not sure if this is the case. If anything, a lot of universities do the complete opposite to give the impression that their course is high quality. If they really wanted to entice people to come, they'd give out unconditionals.
Reply 765
Hey, studying Earth Sciences MSci at UCL! Anyone else?
How competitive is the MSci Palaeontology and Evolution at Bristol?
I've got 9A*/4As at GCSE and AABD at AS, which once I've retaken two papers will be AAAC. I've dropped maths and am likely to be predicted A*AB in Bio, Chem and Physics respectively, with an A in my evolutionary bio EPQ.
What are the odds of getting an offer?

Thank you :redface:
Original post by TardigradeFan
How competitive is the MSci Palaeontology and Evolution at Bristol?
I've got 9A*/4As at GCSE and AABD at AS, which once I've retaken two papers will be AAAC. I've dropped maths and am likely to be predicted A*AB in Bio, Chem and Physics respectively, with an A in my evolutionary bio EPQ.
What are the odds of getting an offer?

Thank you :redface:

Is this for 2016 entry? You might want to join the 2016 applicants thread.

To answer this question though, I'd say you've probably got a very good chance. For your subjects, their standard offer is AAB which you already have at AS so I think an offer is pretty likely, particularly since their geoscience courses don't attract a huge number of applicants (this doesn't mean the course isn't good, it's just because not many people apply for geoscience courses) and you have excellent GCSE results. An A*AA prediction would be great if you could get it but an A*AB prediction will probably be absolutely fine. They'll also be happy to see you doing an EPQ in evolutionary biology, you should definitely consider expanding on that in your personal statement.
(edited 8 years ago)
Is this for 2016 entry? You might want to join the 2016 applicants thread.

To answer this question though, I'd say you've probably got a very good chance. For your subjects, their standard offer is AAB which you already have at AS so I think an offer is pretty likely, particularly since their geoscience courses don't attract a huge number of applicants (this doesn't mean the course isn't good, it's just because not many people apply for geoscience courses) and you have excellent GCSE results. An A*AA prediction would be great if you could get it but an A*AB prediction will probably be absolutely fine. They'll also be happy to see you doing an EPQ in evolutionary biology, you should definitely consider expanding on that in your personal statement.

Thank you so much, that's helped enormously :smile:
Hey i'm just wondering, is it possible to go from a Geology with Physical Geography degree to a masters in Planetary Geology or Exo-planets?
Something i really want to do is work for a space agency and study "space rocks" haha or maybe volcanology. Would this is possible from my current situation as an undergrad doing that degree?
Hi, Oxford Earth scientist here, due to start at Univ at the end of the month. Any other Univites or Ox Earth scientists?
I have submitted my Personal Statement to TSR's PS library. It would be really nice if other 2015 applicants could upload theirs too if you feel comfortable with that because the geology section is a bit lacking at the moment and it would help future applicants out!

You can find instructions on how to add your Personal Statement to the library here. I suggest you add it yourself because otherwise it's just going to spend forever in a queue as there's a massive backlog. At the bottom of your entry, you need to add the categories. Here you can see an example of how to edit this properly - left is old, right is new (and correct).
(edited 8 years ago)
What is the coursework like in Geology and Physical Geography?
if anyone has any idea it would be appreciated.
Original post by Velocity_
What is the coursework like in Geology and Physical Geography?
if anyone has any idea it would be appreciated.

I'm actually considering going for Geology and Physical Geography instead of straight up Geology now.
Can you still become a Geologist with that kind of degree? Birmingham's prospectus says you can, but I thought a straight up Geography degree was useless.
I'm actually considering going for Geology and Physical Geography instead of straight up Geology now.
Can you still become a Geologist with that kind of degree? Birmingham's prospectus says you can, but I thought a straight up Geography degree was useless.

I'd have thought so. There's quite a lot of overlap between the sciencey side of Geography and Geology, particularly if you're interested in environmental issues. To be honest, I'm quite jealous of the stuff Geography students get to do...
I have submitted my Personal Statement to TSR's PS library. It would be really nice if other 2015 applicants could upload theirs too if you feel comfortable with that because the geology section is a bit lacking at the moment and it would help future applicants out!

You can find instructions on how to add your Personal Statement to the library here. I suggest you add it yourself because otherwise it's just going to spend forever in a queue as there's a massive backlog. At the bottom of your entry, you need to add the categories. Here you can see an example of how to edit this properly - left is old, right is new (and correct).

Thanks Plagioclase, that's really helpful. Great A level grades, well done. Have you got any revision technique advice you could share? x
Original post by Lemonpopsicle2
Thanks Plagioclase, that's really helpful. Great A level grades, well done. Have you got any revision technique advice you could share? x

It really does depend on the subject but for the sciences, it really is all about 1) practice and 2) finding the revision style that works for you and sticking with it. The second point is quite important to stress because just because something works for me, doesn't mean it will work for you! I'll go through what I do (and what works for me) because maybe that'll give you ideas but revision is something pretty personal. You need to try different things out and you should eventually work out what's working and what isn't.

What works for me with the sciences is I go immediately into past papers without revising, and I can generally get about 90% doing this (although I noticed that this initial score slipped at A2, particularly with Chemistry where I was frequently getting 60-70% at first). I do all of the past papers, note my score for each paper and write down each and every mistake I make. I then end up with a couple of pages filled purely with everything I don't know. I'll then go through the textbook and write down every fact I don't immediately know to make sure that those pages are fully comprehensive. Once I have these notes, I no longer really need the textbook because I have everything I don't yet know on a few pieces of paper which is a lot less daunting than a big textbook! I then repeat the above - do all the past papers again, check them, hope that I've done better and make a new (hopefully smaller) list with everything I still don't know. For my A2s, I think I did every past paper for Physics and Chemistry at least three times. This is actually very useful because by this point, you know most of the questions that they're going to ask pretty well and you know exactly how best to answer them. There's nothing better than coming across a horrible question in an exam but remembering that you did that precise question in a past paper and knowing the answer pretty much off by heart, because those are a few marks that you and very few other people will get!

For Maths, it is pretty much 99% about practice. Practice as much as humanly possible and put the work in, because you will get there eventually! I found FP3 absolutely horrible, it was the bane of Year 13 and it made me hate Maths! But I worked really hard to improve and (somehow) ended up with full UMS in the exam which I'm really proud of.

As I say though, how specifically you revise will depend on you. The "practice" message will go for everyone but in terms of how you actually memorise and learn stuff, that's something you need to develop yourself. For me, simply reading through my notes and practicing past papers was enough but for example, when I've been doing something that requires a lot of rote learning like learning a language, flashcard tools like Memrise have been really useful for me.

Another thing worth mentioning is it's so, so important to be proactive with your learning. If you don't understand something, don't leave it for revision! Revision is meant to be about revising stuff you already learned, not learning stuff from scratch. If you don't get something, you should ask your teacher immediately. Also, for subjects that do require a lot of memorisation like A2 Chemistry, try to memorise stuff off by heart as soon as possible because whilst it takes a lot of time, time isn't a luxury earlier in the year but it is when you're close to exams. The earlier you do all the memorisation, the more time you have to devote to serious exam prep.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 777
I'd have thought so. There's quite a lot of overlap between the sciencey side of Geography and Geology, particularly if you're interested in environmental issues. To be honest, I'm quite jealous of the stuff Geography students get to do...

Hey plagioclase, whats your take on exeter geology and exeter as a uni?
Original post by SCAR H
Hey plagioclase, whats your take on exeter geology and exeter as a uni?

As a university, Exeter looks very pretty. I know someone who applied there and it looks like a good place to be a student (and it's set in a beautiful area, which you can probably appreciate if you're applying for Geology!). In terms of the course, I briefly looked at it when I was applying but I don't know a massive amount of it. There does however seem to be a big tradition of industrial Geology there though (for your information, Geology is taught by the Camborne School of Mines which is one of the old industrial Geology institutions in the UK along with Imperial's Royal School of Mines). If you look at the modules offered in Geology, for instance, there are a lot of modules connected to (mineral) resources and exploration, so it looks like a very good course if that's what you're interested in.
As a university, Exeter looks very pretty. I know someone who applied there and it looks like a good place to be a student (and it's set in a beautiful area, which you can probably appreciate if you're applying for Geology!). In terms of the course, I briefly looked at it when I was applying but I don't know a massive amount of it. There does however seem to be a big tradition of industrial Geology there though (for your information, Geology is taught by the Camborne School of Mines which is one of the old industrial Geology institutions in the UK along with Imperial's Royal School of Mines). If you look at the modules offered in Geology, for instance, there are a lot of modules connected to (mineral) resources and exploration, so it looks like a very good course if that's what you're interested in.

Just thought I'd add that it's on the Cornwall campus.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending