The Student Room Group

How To Ace Your GCSE's

To anyone who doesn't know, this is a book written by a guy called Anshul Raja who's spent years fine tuning techniques for how to get the best results in your exams. I bought the E-Book last night (it's £9.99 and if it's gonna help me ace my exams then I am happy to spend that), and I've been reading through it today. It's really interesting, and has quite a bit about the psychology of remembering information etc.

I was wondering if anyone has read this book and used the techniques in it? He recommends revising in 'layers' and not taking notes to revise, instead using the 'scribble technique'. Has anyone used these for exams? Do they work? Do you agree with not making notes in lessons or for revision?

So far, I would recommend this book, I haven't actually used the techniques in it yet, but he's very convincing, and he has a long record of past pupils who have done really well in their exams because of his advice.

Buy it on Amazon!:smile:
Original post by kate37
To anyone who doesn't know, this is a book written by a guy called Anshul Raja who's spent years fine tuning techniques for how to get the best results in your exams. I bought the E-Book last night (it's £9.99 and if it's gonna help me ace my exams then I am happy to spend that), and I've been reading through it today. It's really interesting, and has quite a bit about the psychology of remembering information etc.

I was wondering if anyone has read this book and used the techniques in it? He recommends revising in 'layers' and not taking notes to revise, instead using the 'scribble technique'. Has anyone used these for exams? Do they work? Do you agree with not making notes in lessons or for revision?

So far, I would recommend this book, I haven't actually used the techniques in it yet, but he's very convincing, and he has a long record of past pupils who have done really well in their exams because of his advice.

Buy it on Amazon!:smile:

My mum would say it's a waste of money, but I want to buy it. Anyway what's the scribble technique ^-^
Reply 2
Original post by randomperson11
My mum would say it's a waste of money, but I want to buy it. Anyway what's the scribble technique ^-^

It's basically that you read 1 page from the text book (to clarify you're not meant to use revision guides, you just use the textbook that goes along with the syllabus of your exam board), close it, write down anything you can remember from that page, check it, close it again, write anything more you can remember and basically do that until you remember most if not all of the page and then move on to the next one. I'm a bit skeptical about doing this because I'm used to writing down notes from textbooks, but he says it really does work so I suppose it's worth a go.
Original post by kate37
It's basically that you read 1 page from the text book (to clarify you're not meant to use revision guides, you just use the textbook that goes along with the syllabus of your exam board), close it, write down anything you can remember from that page, check it, close it again, write anything more you can remember and basically do that until you remember most if not all of the page and then move on to the next one. I'm a bit skeptical about doing this because I'm used to writing down notes from textbooks, but he says it really does work so I suppose it's worth a go.

Ahh thank you ^-^ Are there any other tips?
I've heard about the book yes, and regarding the scribble technique, It works. I used to use it for exams, problem is, you forget it very easy.
It works like, you read a paragraph, then without referring back to the paragraph, you write what you can remember until you can write it close to the actual paragraph from the textbook. Its effective a day before the exam, but after a couple days you will forget it.
Reply 5
I have read Ahshul Raja's book and very much enjoyed the book. I find the scribble technique very useful and I have had a lot of success with the technique. In order to help me save time and help me remember the information, I use symbols and colours to condense common phrases/ words when I write down the information.

Quick Reply

Latest