The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Your experiences at Owens Park

I'm looking into Owens Park as I really want to make sure I'm somewhere that's really lively and sociable; I basically just want to make the most of my first year and ensure I have the best time possible.
I'm still unsure, however, as I know it has featured in a couple of newspapers (regarding the tower drinking game/ majority of fines issued to Owens Park residents) Just how extreme is it there? I don't want to end up somewhere that is so crazy I don't know what to do with myself! It seems everyone has an opinion on these halls so if anyone can share their experiences of Owens (including things such as how easy it is to make meal times/how easy it is to get sleep) I would be really grateful :smile: Feel free to also give any benefits of Oak House aswell.. the only thing I'm not sure I could survive about is those tiny little rooms!
Reply 1
I've heard (from past students) that owens park is very rowdy. Depends on whether that is a good or bad thing for you.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
full of rahs there who suddenly think they're cool cos theyre in a 'rougher' looking building.
if your looking for fallowfield stick to richmond and woolton, trust!
Reply 3
Yeah I kinda gathered Owens is pretty rowdy. I do want some student craziness as it will be my first year but I'm not sure just how crazy it gets :/
Ohh well that's surprising, I've generally found most people say the other halls you've mentioned are full of rahs. I have viewed both those on a tour and Richmond didn't seem that special.. I remember Woolton was extremely nice, looked really pretty and it had pretty big rooms if I am remembering correctly :smile: but it was so much smaller I don't know how much the social side will be affected, I still want lots of things to do (including parties)
OP is great; I live in tower. Yes there are rahs, but you can ignore them, besides you'll only have a problem with rahs if you get tower cos I swearrrrrr tower must bring out the rah side in people, I never really notice too many in the other courts. However saying that, I would thoroughly recommend tower! Yeah it's social, a bit crazy but NOT as bad as what people say. When I first got here I was actually shocked at how quiet it was, the girls on my corridor don't like going out much (they're really nice though.) Anyway I'd say the good thing about OP is that even if you don't like the people on your floor/corridor that much for whatever reason it's really easy to make other friends, whereas in self-catered accom you can feel like you're stuck with your flat at times.

Also, with regards to the whole crazy thing again, if you want to get a good nights sleep tower is good for that since you're so high up you don't really hear drunk people on the streets, in the courtyard etc. I dunno about the other courts though.

I'd say the worst thing about OP is the food, but that's manly cos I'm quite keen on good food and cuisine etc (sorry to sound like a saddo), most people think it's nice; it's alright. It's kinda like school dinners, but a bit nicer. A lot of people I'm friends with actually applied to self-catered and were annoyed they got catered, but now all of them are happy to be in catered. It is good coming home from uni and having a big meal all ready to eat plus they usually do something nice on a Friday. Breakfast finishes at 9.30 though which means it can be a bit of a mission getting to it.

Sorry for the essay! If you have any more questions just ask haha.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Ah thanks so much, that was really helpful :smile: I guess it just seems like one of those places people either love or hate but I expect with so many people in one place you're going to find some people you'll actually enjoy hanging out with even with the so called rahs. I expect I'll put it down as one of my choices, even if its not my 1st (I assume there's a good chance I'll be put there if its any of my choices anyway as its so undersubscribed)
Reply 6
When I was applying to accommodation at Manchester University, all I found about Owens Park online was scathing reviews. I ended up going with my gut instinct and applying there, and it was one of the best decisions of my life. While it may look old and dated, there isn't a better place that you could be if you're a student at Manchester. It is the social hub of the Fallowfield campus, packed with students. The layout of the halls (excluding Tower which is a little different) sees you share as a block of 30 (three floors of 10), with each floor designated to a gender. Each floor shares two toilets, two showers and a small kitchen for cooking at weekends. In my opinion, this is far better than being in a flat of 8 (e.g. Oak House) and potentially not liking any of those 7 people. With 30 to a block, you're bound to find at least a couple of people you really get on with! The food is better than what i would be cooking alternatively. Everyone gets the bus from here to uni (its far worse being at a campus nearer to the uni buildings - you'll have no social life with any flatmates there). The social opportunities are endless and you will meet amazing amazing friends. It was the best year of my life. Thankfully I wasn't put off by the people slating it. I had so much fun and managed to balance that with a demanding course too. The people I know who lived in Victoria Park campus or City campus had no friends in halls as everyone was apparently terribly antisocial. Maybe the sort of people writing those reviews are the type who want to complete their course without leaving the library or having an iota of fun? I could not recommend Owens Park enough.
Original post by yjs022
When I was applying to accommodation at Manchester University, all I found about Owens Park online was scathing reviews. I ended up going with my gut instinct and applying there, and it was one of the best decisions of my life. While it may look old and dated, there isn't a better place that you could be if you're a student at Manchester. It is the social hub of the Fallowfield campus, packed with students. The layout of the halls (excluding Tower which is a little different) sees you share as a block of 30 (three floors of 10), with each floor designated to a gender. Each floor shares two toilets, two showers and a small kitchen for cooking at weekends. In my opinion, this is far better than being in a flat of 8 (e.g. Oak House) and potentially not liking any of those 7 people. With 30 to a block, you're bound to find at least a couple of people you really get on with! The food is better than what i would be cooking alternatively. Everyone gets the bus from here to uni (its far worse being at a campus nearer to the uni buildings - you'll have no social life with any flatmates there). The social opportunities are endless and you will meet amazing amazing friends. It was the best year of my life. Thankfully I wasn't put off by the people slating it. I had so much fun and managed to balance that with a demanding course too. The people I know who lived in Victoria Park campus or City campus had no friends in halls as everyone was apparently terribly antisocial. Maybe the sort of people writing those reviews are the type who want to complete their course without leaving the library or having an iota of fun? I could not recommend Owens Park enough.

This thread is more than four years old, it's a bit late to be giving advice now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending