The Student Room Group

University Accommodations

Hi!
I am in year 12 right now and am thinking of doing a Physics degree at one of the following Unis.
-Leicester
-Exeter
-Warwick
-Cardiff
-UCL
I have been to some open days but just would like to see what the students going there think about the accommodations! So if you are studying at these Unis or have studied before, could you please post your opinions on the accommodations and any tips you might have for me?
Original post by AsgardianDemigod
Hi!
I am in year 12 right now and am thinking of doing a Physics degree at one of the following Unis.
-Leicester
-Exeter
-Warwick
-Cardiff
-UCL
I have been to some open days but just would like to see what the students going there think about the accommodations! So if you are studying at these Unis or have studied before, could you please post your opinions on the accommodations and any tips you might have for me?

Hi there,

That's very exciting! Fun fact - the physics building on Streatham Campus in Exeter is the highest point in Exeter, and there's really cool telescopes on its roof. Going to Open Days is a great way to get a feel for the University and accommodations but as you say it's also a good idea to hear opinions of people who have stayed there.

Despite most accommodations being on campus, my first year accommodation was off campus in James Owen Court. I really liked the fact it was a good central point from both the town centre and campus, so I didn't have to walk far to go shopping and it was only a 15-minute walk to campus. We had a spacious kitchen, a courtyard and the rooms were nice in my opinion (I have no complaints personally). I knew lots of people who stayed elsewhere. Holland Hall is on the pricier end but it's catered so meals are included and there's a lovely view from it's sun terrace. East Park is the newest accommodation (it wasn't even built in my first year), and i've heard it's lovely.

There's lots of options - on campus or off campus, catered or self-catered, single room or ensuite or studio. Different accommodations offer different things, so I'd recommend having a look on the accommodation website. You can go on virtual tours, see what's included, the types of rooms available and their prices, and distances from places of interest etc. This should give you an initial idea of which ones you like and which ones you don't so much.

My tips (which is useful for any university) would be to figure out whether you would prefer:

1. Off campus or on campus - most accommodations here are on campus but if you really want off campus there are a few like James Owen Court and The Printworks.

2. Catered or self-catered - with catered, meals are included so you don't have to worry about cooking but with self-catered you have a communal kitchen where you can cook. I personally knew I wanted the freedom to cook what I wanted when I wanted, so opted for self-catered.

3. A single room with shared bathrooms, an ensuite or a studio - these vary in price but I knew I definitely wanted my own bathroom so opted for ensuite, and wanted the social perks that might be harder to get with a studio.

I hope this helps! There's lots to choose from but ultimately I'd say most people end up enjoying their first year accommodation:smile:. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Bethan
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by AsgardianDemigod
Hi!
-Leicester
-Exeter
-Warwick
-Cardiff
-UCL

Hiya!

Student from Cardiff University here! Thats so cool, I hope you end up chosing a uni you like!

There's such a massive range of accommodations at Cardiff, depending on your budget and preferences. The great thing about Cardiff is that it is one of the most cheapest cities to live in :smile:

I stayed in Talybont North and Cartwright Court in the first semester. Any of the accommodations in the Talybont complex are really popular choices since its known as the most sociable accomodation in Cardiff! Plus, there is a common room, and its where all the sports facilities are if you're into your sports. It's right next to a big Tescos and Aldi, which I've found really convenient for shopping.

Cartwright Court is almost the opposite of Talybont, its very nice and quiet and its good for people who do healthcare subjects (as its closer to the Heath Campus).

There is accomodation a lot more closer to the Cathays campus though - for example - Senghennydd Court/Hall. Its right next to the Student Union so super convenient for those who want to sleep in for lectures!

I think one of the coolest parts about Cardiff is that we have Resident Life Assistants living in every accomodation. Most evenings, they hold fun events where you can meet new people and just get up to new activities. My favourites from last year were probably the art competition and the valentine's themed candle-making! On the regular, they make free tea/coffee and offer biscuits, which I've found is really convenient for revision haha.

I hope that helped, let me know if you wanted to know anything else :smile:

- Fatiha, Cardiff Uni Student Rep
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by ExeterStudentRep
Hi there,

That's very exciting! Fun fact - the physics building on Streatham Campus in Exeter is the highest point in Exeter, and there's really cool telescopes on its roof. Going to Open Days is a great way to get a feel for the University and accommodations but as you say it's also a good idea to hear opinions of people who have stayed there.

Despite most accommodations being on campus, my first year accommodation was off campus in James Owen Court. I really liked the fact it was a good central point from both the town centre and campus, so I didn't have to walk far to go shopping and it was only a 15-minute walk to campus. We had a spacious kitchen, a courtyard and the rooms were nice in my opinion (I have no complaints personally). I knew lots of people who stayed elsewhere. Holland Hall is on the pricier end but it's catered so meals are included and there's a lovely view from it's sun terrace. East Park is the newest accommodation (it wasn't even built in my first year), and i've heard it's lovely.

There's lots of options - on campus or off campus, catered or self-catered, single room or ensuite or studio. Different accommodations offer different things, so I'd recommend having a look on the accommodation website. You can go on virtual tours, see what's included, the types of rooms available and their prices, and distances from places of interest etc. This should give you an initial idea of which ones you like and which ones you don't so much.

My tips (which is useful for any university) would be to figure out whether you would prefer:

1. Off campus or on campus - most accommodations here are on campus but if you really want off campus there are a few like James Owen Court and The Printworks.

2. Catered or self-catered - with catered, meals are included so you don't have to worry about cooking but with self-catered you have a communal kitchen where you can cook. I personally knew I wanted the freedom to cook what I wanted when I wanted, so opted for self-catered.

3. A single room with shared bathrooms, an ensuite or a studio - these vary in price but I knew I definitely wanted my own bathroom so opted for ensuite, and wanted the social perks that might be harder to get with a studio.

I hope this helps! There's lots to choose from but ultimately I'd say most people end up enjoying their first year accommodation:smile:. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Bethan
University of Exeter Student Ambassador

Thank you soo much!! That kinda answered most of my questions :smile:
Original post by CardiffUni Rep 2
Hiya!

Student from Cardiff University here! Thats so cool, I hope you end up chosing a uni you like!

There's such a massive range of accommodations at Cardiff, depending on your budget and preferences. The great thing about Cardiff is that it is one of the most cheapest cities to live in :smile:

I stayed in Talybont North and Cartwright Court in the first semester. Any of the accommodations in the Talybont complex are really popular choices since its known as the most sociable accomodation in Cardiff! Plus, there is a common room, and its where all the sports facilities are if you're into your sports. It's right next to a big Tescos and Aldi, which I've found really convenient for shopping.

Cartwright Court is almost the opposite of Talybont, its very nice and quiet and its good for people who do healthcare subjects (as its closer to the Heath Campus).

There is accomodation a lot more closer to the Cathays campus though - for example - Senghennydd Court/Hall. Its right next to the Student Union so super convenient for those who want to sleep in for lectures!

I think one of the coolest parts about Cardiff is that we have Resident Life Assistants living in every accomodation. Most evenings, they hold fun events where you can meet new people and just get up to new activities. My favourites from last year were probably the art competition and the valentine's themed candle-making! On the regular, they make free tea/coffee and offer biscuits, which I've found is really convenient for revision haha.

I hope that helped, let me know if you wanted to know anything else :smile:

- Fatiha, Cardiff Uni Student Rep

That sounds fun!! Thanks so much, it definitely helped a lot :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending