The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Parking at city campus - Sheffield Hallam

Hi, I will be starting my teaching degree in September, and I will be commuting. I'm wondering where will be the best place to park around the city campus?

Thank you :smile:
Original post by DanaG17
Hi, I will be starting my teaching degree in September, and I will be commuting. I'm wondering where will be the best place to park around the city campus?

Hey there @DanaG17 !
Your best bet is to try and look at the NCP car parks around the campus. Your closest are Sidney Street and The Moor Car Park. There's also Matilda Street car park but that's a bit more difficult to get into if you have a bigger car. All of these options, you prepay on your phone or pay on your phone when you park. They're all pretty similar in price, I wouldn't say they're cheap but wouldn't say they're expensive either. I don't know the exact prices. If you want CCTV, your best bet is either the Moor car park or Campo Lane NCP. They're both multi-story/underground ones, Matilda Street and Sidney Street are both outdoors with a gate around them.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey there @DanaG17 !
Your best bet is to try and look at the NCP car parks around the campus. Your closest are Sidney Street and The Moor Car Park. There's also Matilda Street car park but that's a bit more difficult to get into if you have a bigger car. All of these options, you prepay on your phone or pay on your phone when you park. They're all pretty similar in price, I wouldn't say they're cheap but wouldn't say they're expensive either. I don't know the exact prices. If you want CCTV, your best bet is either the Moor car park or Campo Lane NCP. They're both multi-story/underground ones, Matilda Street and Sidney Street are both outdoors with a gate around them.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Thank you so much! This is really helpful, I appreciate your reply 😊
Original post by DanaG17

Hi @DanaG17

There is also the APCOA car park on Eyre Street which is a five-minute walk from City Campus. You can park there for £5.00 - just scan your blue chip at Owen Level 5, Charles Street and Cantor Helpdesks at City Campus to claim the discount. Hope this is helpful :smile:

Thanks,
Hina
What is a blue chip?

Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Hi @DanaG17

There is also the APCOA car park on Eyre Street which is a five-minute walk from City Campus. You can park there for £5.00 - just scan your blue chip at Owen Level 5, Charles Street and Cantor Helpdesks at City Campus to claim the discount. Hope this is helpful :smile:

Thanks,
Hina
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
What is a blue chip?

It's the parking payment method you get at the apcoa car park, you can scan it in a number of city buildings and they give you a student discount £5 for all day parking
How do it get it, I really need it
Reply 7
How do it get it, I really need it

You park in the APCOA car park on Eyre Street which is a five-minute walk from City Campus. Then you scan the chip on campus, I use the Charles Street building to scan it. I'm sure if you ask your tutors they will tell you wheres best for you to scan the chip
Reply 8
What is a blue chip?

I'm not familar with the specific car park, but there's one near me that sounds like it uses the same system.

When you drive into the car park you approach a barrier at the entrance. You press a button and the barrier dispenses a plastic disk (I assume this is the 'blue chip' referred to) rather than a paper ticket. You keep hold of the disk/chip, which contains an identifier inside it (it's probably something that can be read by RFID).

When you come to leave, you insert the disk/chip into a machine in/near the car park. The machine reads the data in the chip and can then identify when you entered the car park -- and the machine then tells you how much to pay. Once you've paid, the chip is returned to you. You then insert it into the exit barrier as you drive out of the car park.

The discount process would involve the chip being scanned and that fact recorded. The machine that takes payment will know the chip was scanned, and automatically charge you less.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending