The Student Room Group

The Oxford TSA thread - 2015 applicants - 5th Nov 2014

Scroll to see replies

I've seen a steady increase with practise, I've scored 72, 74, 78 and 84 having done the 08/09/10/11 papers respectively. I'm hoping that it's enough because my AS results weren't spectacular! :smile:
Original post by Jeeeeeeeves
I've seen a steady increase with practise, I've scored 72, 74, 78 and 84 having done the 08/09/10/11 papers respectively. I'm hoping that it's enough because my AS results weren't spectacular! :smile:

As you went through those papers what did you do for the questions which you got wrong? - is see you have improved. By the way this who score top in the TSA are very likely to get a place.
I'm really hoping it's enough to get me through! I've learned the types of questions which I get wrong, which are mainly the visualising shapes ones or the ones about drawing a conclusion. See which statements in the paragraph stand out and don't be afraid to spend time on a question you're only 70% sure about in order to make sure you think it's correct. I also sometimes make mistakes in the first 20 questions because I didn't read the answers properly! Hope this helps.
I'm really hoping it's enough to get me through! I've learned the types of questions which I get wrong, which are mainly the visualising shapes ones or the ones about drawing a conclusion. See which statements in the paragraph stand out and don't be afraid to spend time on a question you're only 70% sure about in order to make sure you think it's correct. I also sometimes make mistakes in the first 20 questions because I didn't read the answers properly! Hope this helps.

How do you find timing. I can get about 73 taking about 2 hours - but I am tired and second one only. Do you find that you can do the questions well in the time?
Original post by bobbybob12
How do you find timing. I can get about 73 taking about 2 hours - but I am tired and second one only. Do you find that you can do the questions well in the time?

That's good! I seem to manage to have 10 minutes left over - try and identify the main point of the question as soon as possible
Im getting around 62-65 each time.. need more practise.. guys do you think I should practise on cambridge tsa's as well? I ran out of Oxford's..
hi Guys, does anyone know how the TSA exam is marked?
Hi guys! I know you guys have probably been asked this question loads of times, but I'm really concerned about my TSA score--is it likely to be shortlisted for interview if your score is slightly below average? :frown: Its next week!!! :frown:
Original post by mockingjay123
Hi guys! I know you guys have probably been asked this question loads of times, but I'm really concerned about my TSA score--is it likely to be shortlisted for interview if your score is slightly below average? :frown: Its next week!!! :frown:

Hello :smile: well take a look at the average scores from the past year. The average was ABOUT 60 give or take 2 points. so thats about 58-62. Now thats what you should be getting. Now lets put it this way, people say that your scores in these tests are based on your level of intelligence, and i can tell you for a fact that that's bullcrap.
It is based on intelligence TO A CERTAIN EXTENT. But for the most part its just beating on your craft (and thats a fact). What I'm doing is solving the tests on the tsa website from past years in the conditions of the real test. so sort of a simulator. yesterday i scored at around 62-65 today i did 70-72. I ran out of tests so I'm considering this: https://www.jobtestprep.co.uk/tsa
Idk if its good or not no one is willing to answer me on this thread.
Hope I helped... Dont worry, be confident and just practise.
Original post by nhabib3
Hello :smile: well take a look at the average scores from the past year. The average was ABOUT 60 give or take 2 points. so thats about 58-62. Now thats what you should be getting. Now lets put it this way, people say that your scores in these tests are based on your level of intelligence, and i can tell you for a fact that that's bullcrap.
It is based on intelligence TO A CERTAIN EXTENT. But for the most part its just beating on your craft (and thats a fact). What I'm doing is solving the tests on the tsa website from past years in the conditions of the real test. so sort of a simulator. yesterday i scored at around 62-65 today i did 70-72. I ran out of tests so I'm considering this: https://www.jobtestprep.co.uk/tsa
Idk if its good or not no one is willing to answer me on this thread.
Hope I helped... Dont worry, be confident and just practise.

Hey--alright! I'll just try to do more past papers and fingers crossed my score will go up xx :smile: :smile: Do you ever have to guess any answers? I find that towards the end I will usually guess Q48-50 because I ran out of time... Thanks! x
Original post by mockingjay123
Hey--alright! I'll just try to do more past papers and fingers crossed my score will go up xx :smile: :smile: Do you ever have to guess any answers? I find that towards the end I will usually guess Q48-50 because I ran out of time... Thanks! x

You know what? it happens... but keep in mind that the difficulty rises as you progress through the questions and they take the difficulty of the question into account when they check the tests. I dont know how they grade them though.
Original post by nhabib3
You know what? it happens... but keep in mind that the difficulty rises as you progress through the questions and they take the difficulty of the question into account when they check the tests. I dont know how they grade them though.

Okay--Thank you!!! :smile:
SOOOOOO... how did u do?? I f'ed up on my essay
Original post by nhabib3
SOOOOOO... how did u do?? I f'ed up on my essay

Oh no, what essay did you do? I thought it was one of the harder papers for sure, just ran out of time so I had to guess for the stupid stamp and the container ship questions. Think I didn't fall for some of their tricks but it was a hard one for sure. Most people seem to think it was evil so I'm in good company though :smile: I did the essay on the whistleblowers, mentioned ed snowden, vw and collusion in oligopolies so I think that went okay, I didn't realise it could only be two pages though!! How about you?
Oh no, what essay did you do? I thought it was one of the harder papers for sure, just ran out of time so I had to guess for the stupid stamp and the container ship questions. Think I didn't fall for some of their tricks but it was a hard one for sure. Most people seem to think it was evil so I'm in good company though :smile: I did the essay on the whistleblowers, mentioned ed snowden, vw and collusion in oligopolies so I think that went okay, I didn't realise it could only be two pages though!! How about you?

Yeah i have 10 mistakes for sure... The rest is ok (i think) i did the immigration question. Mentioned germany and how it needs its workers for the future. But i ran out of time
What container question?!!?!?! :O
Original post by nhabib3
Yeah i have 10 mistakes for sure... The rest is ok (i think) i did the immigration question. Mentioned germany and how it needs its workers for the future. But i ran out of time

I think the bounds will be low this year. I didn't get what the immigration question was on about so I avoided it!
[QUOTE=nononononononono;60395085]What container question?!!?!?! :O

The silly one where it said about how many containers someone needed in each quarter, in like april, june, oct etc
The silly one where it said about how many containers someone needed in each quarter, in like april, june, oct etc

i didnt even get to that question
Reply 1139
Do they have different sets of essays per geographic region? I live in the U.S. so I sat the TSA here in New York - and we had different essay prompts than the ones you are talking about...

Shame too, because I would have liked to answer that immigration one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending