The Student Room Group

Do I need GCSEs for these subjects?

Hey there.

I'm finally planning to take up some A-Levels at my local college, but have no GCSEs apart from a B in English, and a GCSE Maths that I'm currently studying (got a D the last time). I've come up with a list of subjects I'm interested in taking and that I want to narrow down to 2 eventually.

Two questions.

1. Does anyone know of a college accepting people for A-Levels in my sort of situation? I know my chances are low, but is it possible?

2. Will I need the equivalent GCSEs or a GCSE-level grasp of maths to study any of the following subjects? Do they contain a lot of maths? I'm confident I can get an A* in GCSE Maths this year for what it's worth, I'm just not sure whether I'll have that knowledge in time.

Biology
Chemistry
Physics
History
Psychology
Sociology
Electronics

I really don't have the time to take another year or two out for GCSEs, so I really want to do the A-Levels asap. Thanks in advance.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hashim123
Hey there.

I'm finally planning to take up some A-Levels at my local college, but have no GCSEs apart from a B in English, and a GCSE Maths that I'm currently studying (got a D the last time). I've come up with a list of subjects I'm interested in taking and that I want to narrow down to 2 eventually.

Two questions.

1. Does anyone know of a college accepting people for A-Levels in my sort of situation? I know my chances are low, but is it possible?

2. Will I need the equivalent GCSEs or a GCSE-level grasp of maths to study any of the following subjects? Do they contain a lot of maths? I'm confident I can get an A* in GCSE Maths this year for what it's worth, I'm just not sure whether I'll have that knowledge in time.

Biology
Chemistry
Physics
History
Psychology
Sociology
Electronics

I really don't have the time to take another year or two out for GCSEs, so I really want to do the A-Levels asap. Thanks in advance.

You can probably do History, Psychology, Sociology and Electronics, as they probably dont require any prior knowledge.

Technically you can enter as a private candidate for any of these A levels, but science A levels probably need a good foundation of GCSE knowledge. Plus if you are going to enter as a private candidate it will be really hard to find a centre who will allow you to do the 'practical endorsement' for the new curriculum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Ben4
You can probably do History, Psychology, Sociology and Electronics, as they probably dont require any prior knowledge.

Technically you can enter as a private candidate for any of these A levels, but science A levels probably need a good foundation of GCSE knowledge. Plus if you are going to enter as a private candidate it will be really hard to find a centre who will allow you to do the 'practical endorsement' for the new curriculum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not wanting to enter as a private candidate, gonna ring up the college to see if they'll still let me on the course, once I've decided which subjects I want to study. You don't think it'll be possible to study the science A-levels without the necessary GCSEs?
Not wanting to enter as a private candidate, gonna ring up the college to see if they'll still let me on the course, once I've decided which subjects I want to study. You don't think it'll be possible to study the science A-levels without the necessary GCSEs?

Highly unlikely, but if you dont ask you will never know. Best of luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
[QUOTE="Hashim123;59907001"]Hey there.

Two questions.

Biology
Chemistry
Physics
History
Psychology
Sociology
Electronics

I really don't have the time to take another year or two out for GCSEs, so I really want to do the A-Levels asap. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE

Most colleges expect 5 GCSE's A* to C including English and maths. Then most expect a GCSE in national curriculum subjects like Biology, Chemistry, Physics and History.
Reply 5
Original post by LauraJ12
Most colleges expect 5 GCSE's A* to C including English and maths. Then most expect a GCSE in national curriculum subjects like Biology, Chemistry, Physics and History.

I'm aware of what most do, as well as what my local is expecting, hence why I asked two very distinct questions to be answered.
I'm aware of what most do, as well as what my local is expecting, hence why I asked two very distinct questions to be answered.

No one can really answer your questions, its up to the colleges you apply to if they will let you on their courses or not. Best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest