The Student Room Group

Do the subjects you take for GCSE matter for when you grow up?

Hello! So I've just moved here to the UK from abroad, so if this is a dumb question/common knowledge type thing here I'm really sorry lmao
Basically I've noticed that some of the schools in my area offer LOTS of different GCSES/A level subjects- things like food and nutrition technology, sociology, child development, health and social care, etc, (and lots of other subjects too ofc- these are just the ones that piqued my interest lol) which is super interesting to me since I didn't have these subjects back home. I was thinking that I could take these subjects if I got into those schools since I'm interested in going to the medical field when I'm an adult.
However, there's another school that DOESN'T offer these types of subjects (I think bc it's a newer school or something) and it's much closer to our house, so my parents prefer sending me there, but idk I guess I'm kinda worried on missing out on those subjects or something lol. My understanding is that to apply to medical school or any college really you just need to do good on the sciences and ela and maths which the school offers ofc, but I feel that these kinda career specific subjects seem really useful ykwim? I don't want to regret not going to the farther away schools and miss out studying subjects if it impacts my future- unless it's really not as deep as I thought it was LMAO
Ig my question is does the subjects you take for GCSEs matter for when you grow up? Do these types of subjects help you at all in terms of college applications or are they just more to help you get a feel for the jobs that you might be interested in (bc if the latter is the case I could prob just join programs/clubs or smth related to medicine instead). Is it worth it to go to a school that's kinda far away in order to study certain subjects? If I don't go to that school or take those subjects does that impact my future?
Tysm!! Sorry if this was too long or didn't make any sense lol, I appreciate you reading this :smile:))
Original post by JellyNeedsHelp
Hello! So I've just moved here to the UK from abroad, so if this is a dumb question/common knowledge type thing here I'm really sorry lmao
Basically I've noticed that some of the schools in my area offer LOTS of different GCSES/A level subjects- things like food and nutrition technology, sociology, child development, health and social care, etc, (and lots of other subjects too ofc- these are just the ones that piqued my interest lol) which is super interesting to me since I didn't have these subjects back home. I was thinking that I could take these subjects if I got into those schools since I'm interested in going to the medical field when I'm an adult.
However, there's another school that DOESN'T offer these types of subjects (I think bc it's a newer school or something) and it's much closer to our house, so my parents prefer sending me there, but idk I guess I'm kinda worried on missing out on those subjects or something lol. My understanding is that to apply to medical school or any college really you just need to do good on the sciences and ela and maths which the school offers ofc, but I feel that these kinda career specific subjects seem really useful ykwim? I don't want to regret not going to the farther away schools and miss out studying subjects if it impacts my future- unless it's really not as deep as I thought it was LMAO
Ig my question is does the subjects you take for GCSEs matter for when you grow up? Do these types of subjects help you at all in terms of college applications or are they just more to help you get a feel for the jobs that you might be interested in (bc if the latter is the case I could prob just join programs/clubs or smth related to medicine instead). Is it worth it to go to a school that's kinda far away in order to study certain subjects? If I don't go to that school or take those subjects does that impact my future?
Tysm!! Sorry if this was too long or didn't make any sense lol, I appreciate you reading this :smile:))

They are optional gcse’s - the subject doesnt really matter that much, unless you intend to do the A Level version of that course
For example, gcse computer science in order to do A Level computer science.( although some sixth forms only require a minimum grade in gcse maths).

However, for like A Level economics/law, you do not need to have studied gcse law/economics, just need grades in english and maths.

Those subjects don't impact your future - the only thing for optional gcse’s are getting a good grade in them. For example, food and nutrition technology is good for the real world knowledge and is a less academic subject (so less revision)

As doing maths, and the sciences are quite academic focused, it is nice to less stressful to pick less academic focussed optional gcse’s

It is more for the feel and the experience
The mandatory english, maths, sciences grades are the more important ones
(edited 7 months ago)
Ahhh okay!! Tysm! That was super helpful :smile:
One other question (sorry if this is annoying lol) how do you know which A Level subjects require you to do the GCSE version of it first?
Thanks again! Have a great day <3

Original post by BankaiGintoki
They are optional gcse’s - the subject doesnt really matter that much, unless you intend to do the A Level version of that course
For example, gcse computer science in order to do A Level computer science.( although some sixth forms only require a minimum grade in gcse maths).

However, for like A Level economics/law, you do not need to have studied gcse law/economics, just need grades in english and maths.

Those subjects don't impact your future - the only thing for optional gcse’s are getting a good grade in them. For example, food and nutrition technology is good for the real world knowledge and is a less academic subject (so less revision)

As doing maths, and the sciences are quite academic focused, it is nice to less stressful to pick less academic focussed optional gcse’s

It is more for the feel and the experience
The mandatory english, maths, sciences grades are the more important ones
Original post by JellyNeedsHelp
Ahhh okay!! Tysm! That was super helpful :smile:
One other question (sorry if this is annoying lol) how do you know which A Level subjects require you to do the GCSE version of it first?
Thanks again! Have a great day <3

I just looked at a sixth form, and saw their entry requirements for that subject. Different sixth forms do have different grade requirements
See: https://www.scg.ac.uk/our-courses/entry-requirements#:~:text=To%20study%20A%20Levels%20you,which%20are%20set%20out%20below.
https://www.woodhouse.ac.uk/applications-a-level-subject-requirements-916-mi.aspx
https://landau-forte.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/9/2020/10/lfcd-curriculum-sixth-form-course-requirements-october-2020.pdf
https://sixthform.london/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/NCS-Entry-Requirements-2022-2023.pdf
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest