The Student Room Group

Missed 6 weeks worth of school, should I take up Eng. Lang/Eng. Lit for AS level?

Hi, so recently I moved countries and unfortunately have missed about 6 weeks worth of school. I'll be starting this Sunday and am taking Maths, Chemistry and Biology for my AS levels but am pretty sure I'd like to take a fourth subject too.

Firstly, I can't choose between English Language and English Literature (I have only done English Language B in my Edexcel IGCSE's (A*) but am a passionate reader of books). Secondly, my school does not offer teaching English at AS level (but I can still give my exams through them), so I will have to rely on self-studying and look for a private tutor.

Would it be wise to pick a fourth AS level under this situation? About 99% of my classmates are taking 4 AS subjects, but they have a head-start on me and I have to work overtime to catch up to them (only managed half of C1 in maths, 'formulae, equations and amounts of substance' and 'energetics and enthalpy changes' in chem, and about 40 pages of the biology AS textbook - so basically, not all that much :s).

I'm particularly more inclined to take English at AS level also because I will most likely major in English at uni, however studying English at A-level isn't a requirement. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by shadyhades
Hi, so recently I moved countries and unfortunately have missed about 6 weeks worth of school. I'll be starting this Sunday and am taking Maths, Chemistry and Biology for my AS levels but am pretty sure I'd like to take a fourth subject too.

Firstly, I can't choose between English Language and English Literature (I have only done English Language B in my Edexcel IGCSE's (A*) but am a passionate reader of books). Secondly, my school does not offer teaching English at AS level (but I can still give my exams through them), so I will have to rely on self-studying and look for a private tutor.

Would it be wise to pick a fourth AS level under this situation? About 99% of my classmates are taking 4 AS subjects, but they have a head-start on me and I have to work overtime to catch up to them (only managed half of C1 in maths, formulae, 'equations and amounts of substance' and 'energetics and enthalpy changes' in chem, and about 40 pages of the biology AS textbook - so basically, not all that much :s).

I'm particularly more inclined to take English at AS level also because I will most likely major in English at uni, however studying English at A-level isn't a requirement. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

You caught a tough break moving at such a critical time, I don't envy you that. Just out of interest, have you considered History? I did Chemistry, Biology and History at A2 and found that it worked quite well.
Reply 2
Original post by Jonathan Crane
You caught a tough break moving at such a critical time, I don't envy you that. Just out of interest, have you considered History? I did Chemistry, Biology and History at A2 and found that it worked quite well.

You can say that again. No, the last time I studied History at school was in eighth grade so without any IGCSE experience, I'm not really considering it. My plan's to continue with Maths, Biology and English Lang/Lit for A2, but if I don't take English now, then I'll have to stick with Maths, Chemistry and Biology for A2.
I did english language CIE at AS and I found it pretty easy tbh, got an A in the end despite focusing more on my other subjects (maths, chemistry, physics). So I suggest you do it but get someone to correct your work so you don't get complacent (I was expecting 90+ in fact but I ended up with 86; my teachers had a tendency to overscore so)

Quick Reply

Latest