The Student Room Group

Anyone study English Literature, Maths, Biology and Chemistry?

If you are:
How are you finding it? Do you regret choosing them? Do you find them stressful together? What are you planning to study?

If you're not:
Do you think that combination would just be too much? Why?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kittywitty
If you are:
How are you finding it? Do you regret choosing them? Do you find them stressful together? What are you planning to study?

If you're not:

No point in doing English lit with 3 science subjects.
Reply 2
Original post by ComputerMaths97

Why? If one hopes to study Medicine in the future and some universities prefer a contrasting subject why not?
Reply 3

Subjects can be chosen according to interest, not only according to what uni's want. Those subjects are perfectly fine. I managed to do them fine, and decided to drop english lit the next year.
Why? If one hopes to study Medicine in the future and some universities prefer a contrasting subject why not?

Original post by hn123
Subjects can be chosen according to interest, not only according to what uni's want. Those subjects are perfectly fine. I managed to do them fine, and decided to drop english lit the next year.

If you're hoping to study Medicine in the future. Do Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics or Further Maths. Any other mix will just put you at an automatic disadvantage, so you'd have to achieve higher.

Yeah of course subjects "can" be chosen according to interest. But that's a silly thing to do if you're aiming high. Do the subjects your Uni wants, unless you absolutely despise the subject.

Unless you're going to do really well in English Lit, I wouldn't bother. You'd be better off getting a grade worse in a much more useful/ impressive subject to Uni's.

Depends how high you're aiming tbh.

You can do whatever you want, but if you come onto TSR asking for views, you'll get contrasting ones xD
Reply 5
If you're hoping to study Medicine in the future. Do Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics or Further Maths. Any other mix will just put you at an automatic disadvantage, so you'd have to achieve higher.

Yeah of course subjects "can" be chosen according to interest. But that's a silly thing to do if you're aiming high. Do the subjects your Uni wants, unless you absolutely despise the subject.

Unless you're going to do really well in English Lit, I wouldn't bother. You'd be better off getting a grade worse in a much more useful/ impressive subject to Uni's.

You can do whatever you want, but if you come onto TSR asking for views, you'll get contrasting ones xD

xD
I'm really enjoying it at GCSE so far. My ability in maths is not to the extent of being able to do Further Maths so scratch that, and Physics as well (I'm not interested in it). There is a language I have in mind which I'm finding really easy so far now, should I just study that instead?
Reply 6
Were you really good at Maths?
Original post by hn123
xD
I'm really enjoying it at GCSE so far. My ability in maths is not to the extent of being able to do Further Maths so scratch that, and Physics as well (I'm not interested in it). There is a language I have in mind which I'm finding really easy so far now, should I just study that instead?

If you think you can do really well in any subject, go for it. But continue to remind yourself that your 3 science subjects are your priority, and you'll be okay. You will have to do really well in your main three though. And personally I don't think Uni's see much of a difference between a language and English Lit when you're applying for Medicine. Uni's, for a course as competitive as Medicine, just want studious people, that are really good at Maths and Science. So just do your best to prove that xD
English lit needs a lot of extra reading and stuff... very time consuming, only do it if you're really sure you really like it!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by RedNebula
English lit needs a lot of extra reading and stuff... very time consuming, only do it if you're really sure you really like it!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

So no point doing it with the 3 sciences unless I want to go into an English career? Would I have no time to do extra curricular as well?

.... There is. 3 science subjects is enough to apply to Oxbridge Medicine, and be competetive.

English will develop a whole other skill set, which would otherwise be left at a GCSE level. Also, if OP chooses to change her mind, English will open up and train them for other degrees, be that Law, Politics, Philosophy, English.
So no point doing it with the 3 sciences unless I want to go into an English career? Would I have no time to do extra curricular as well?

I have friends that do English lit + lang and it depends on how good at it you are bc I have a friend that can read really fast so she finishes all her work quickly but then there are people that take weeks to read a chapter and are falling behind...

I would argue that English has nothing to do with medicine so it's pointless but it does show uni's that your interests extend that of the sciences
I do all the sciences + maths and have virtually no spare time when you factor in a part time job, charity committee, young enterprise, and debate club :tongue:
You'd have even less if you did English and not physics like I did haha
I want study medicine at uni but the only reason I'm doing physics is bc I love it. Just choose something you really love :smile:

I think it really depends on stuff like how easy you find the sciences and how much you want to do English lit, if you enjoy it and find them relatively easy you should be okay. Just be warned, they probably will take time :-)
Im doing Bio Chem Maths and Music at A2 looking to do medicine, it's a similar situation I guess, it's manageable if you make sure you stay organised and work hard! But yeah I can still fit extra curricular stuff in too.

Best of luck :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
People are too nice, need to stop pretending to younger people that you can take whatever you want to take... you can't! You have to take into consideration how your subjects link and how they are going to show you as a competitive applicant. Not just do Drama cos you enjoy it, despite applying for Maths. Do useful subjects, that relate to your degree - and if you don't want to do them/ can't do them, then it's the wrong degree for you. This is more general advice than specific but stop being so nice with your advice guys, be more realistic.
Reply 14
Omg I don't know...
The system has changed for A level and apparently the grade boundaries are higher. I want to do work experience, extra curricular and get As for my A levels...
For essays I usually just take 1-4 days or sometimes just 2 days, or even 1.
I can do Spanish AS early...then practise A2 papers and do the A2 exam with the other subjects...whilst studying English Literature with the 3 sciences. Would it really be that intense?

People are too nice, need to stop pretending to younger people that you can take whatever you want to take... you can't! You have to take into consideration how your subjects link and how they are going to show you as a competitive applicant. Not just do Drama cos you enjoy it, despite applying for Maths. Do useful subjects, that relate to your degree - and if you don't want to do them/ can't do them, then it's the wrong degree for you. This is more general advice than specific but stop being so nice with your advice guys, be more realistic.

Actually many unis ask for a subject of your choice/a contrasting A level for the fourth A level. They don't just want to see you booksmart, but also a well rounded person. Someone who has other interests also.
Reply 15

Actually depending on the offer you get it can be worthwhile. Usually only two science subjects are demanded and English Lit is quite easy; so if you mess up the third science subject you can get your third grade in English Lit and everything's fine
Reply 16
Meeeee! :awesome:

I love the combination :redface:
Not at all.
Ermmm, not really, no - they work well together. I found the workload fine.
Biochemistry :h:

I dropped Maths after As, :fyi:

:hand:

tell me any uni other than cambridge that even states a preference for a subject other than bio or chem. you will not be at an automatic disadvantage that's complete bs.
If you are:

If you're not:

I do History instead of English Literature so I think that, judging from my experience with my combination, it'll be as exhausting as it is right now, maybe a bit more cause I'm not as passionate about literature than I am about History.

I think it might be a bit too much because, unlike what most people tell you, essay subjects are difficult and quite stressful. Maybe not in the same way as maths and science but it is as difficult but in a different way... (did that make sense?)

It's mostly cause it's subjective, there's no formula in it. You can approach it in so many ways which makes it hard to manage cause you lose track of time, forcing you to either cram through your other hw or cram through this essay.

It also doesn't help that science and maths exams needs a different approach compared to essay subjects so you need to be able to do both. It is a great combination though, in my opinion, cause it makes you well-rounded and it helps you a lot with communication and stuff

And, if you do like the subject, unlike Science and Maths, you feel more relaxed (as weird as it may sound) when you're doing it because, imo, you won't feel like it's the end of the world if you miss one thing cause there's so many ways to approach a question that you, basically, won't have a question that you can't answer.

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar :frown:
Reply 19
Original post by Neuth
Meeeee! :awesome:

I love the combination :redface:
Not at all.
Ermmm, not really, no - they work well together. I found the workload fine.
Biochemistry :h:

I dropped Maths after As, :fyi:

:hand:

Didn't you have times when it was too much?
What are your grades so far? Are you naturally good at maths?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest