The Student Room Group

Advice, A Levels and taking a Gap Year

basically, I am taking a level English Literature, Maths, and Chemistry. I've applied for 2024 university entry for English Literature, however I've realised I do not want to study English Literature, and I want to go into chemistry instead, and am thinking of taking a gap year in order to build up my extracurriculars in chemistry. While I take the gap year I want to do an extra a level in physics in order to support the study of chemistry, which leads me onto my next questions, a). how will I do the practical endorsement and b). when applying through UCAS again, how will I put predicted grades for physics if I am doing it at home, and will universities mind if I don't have a predicted grade in this subject.

So if anyone knows anything about this or has any advice or how this works I'd be so grateful as I haven't found anything about this on other forums.

Thanks !
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
hi, i am in year 11 so unfortunately can't help. however, i was thinking the exact same things as u. im planning to take a similar subject choice (Maths, english lit, chemistry and biology as my fourth) and i also plan to take a gap year as i wont have time during sixth form for extra curriculars, abd might even push myself for a fifth a level for fun lol.

i have a few questions if u dont mind answering:
how was ur sixth form experience doing both sciences and humanities?
is english literature as enjoyable as it seems? (i enjoy reading, writing, and analysing, i enjoy thinking deeply in general which is why i like maths too)
how time consuming was each subject? relative to each other.
Original post by catmiilk3
basically, I am taking a level English Literature, Maths, and Chemistry. I've applied for 2024 university entry for English Literature, however I've realised I do not want to study English Literature, and I want to go into chemistry instead, and am thinking of taking a gap year in order to build up my extracurriculars in chemistry. While I take the gap year I want to do an extra a level in physics in order to support the study of chemistry, which leads me onto my next questions, a). how will I do the practical endorsement and b). when applying through UCAS again, how will I put predicted grades for physics if I am doing it at home, and will universities mind if I don't have a predicted grade in this subject.
So if anyone knows anything about this or has any advice or how this works I'd be so grateful as I haven't found anything about this on other forums.
Thanks !
Hey, so in terms of doing the practical endorsement, it'll depend on where you take the qualification. If you do it at a sixth form/college, it'll be through those classes, but if doing the A level privately, then it'll depend on the exam centre you go for. Some will offer the chance to do the practicals, but it is at a cost.

In terms of predicted grade, I don't think the uni will mind too much if there isn't one, especially if you do well in your other subjects (I'm sure you will :smile: ), but just put the grade as pending.

Hope this helps!
Its worth simply asking if any of your curent Uni choices will consider a course switch to Chemistry.
Just email them and ask.
Reply 5
Original post by Biochem&cake
Hey, so in terms of doing the practical endorsement, it'll depend on where you take the qualification. If you do it at a sixth form/college, it'll be through those classes, but if doing the A level privately, then it'll depend on the exam centre you go for. Some will offer the chance to do the practicals, but it is at a cost.
In terms of predicted grade, I don't think the uni will mind too much if there isn't one, especially if you do well in your other subjects (I'm sure you will :smile: ), but just put the grade as pending.
Hope this helps!

thanks for the help! its much appreciated ! : )
Reply 6
Original post by ismaelishere
hi, i am in year 11 so unfortunately can't help. however, i was thinking the exact same things as u. im planning to take a similar subject choice (Maths, english lit, chemistry and biology as my fourth) and i also plan to take a gap year as i wont have time during sixth form for extra curriculars, abd might even push myself for a fifth a level for fun lol.
i have a few questions if u dont mind answering:
how was ur sixth form experience doing both sciences and humanities?
is english literature as enjoyable as it seems? (i enjoy reading, writing, and analysing, i enjoy thinking deeply in general which is why i like maths too)
how time consuming was each subject? relative to each other.

hey ! i started off year 12 with those exacrt subjects, but i dropped biology as i wanted to switch subjects ut was too late too. English is great ! super enjoyable and not too hard on memorising, theres only one non open book text, the NEA is quite time consuming but your school helps structure when you should write it ! the texts are good too, however subjectivcity in terms of marking i find difficult as i struggle to predict what my grades will be on the actual A-Level, as all teachers mark differently. Most time consuming is definetly maths, and the one i struggle most with, chemistry is difficult at year one (at least thats how my school taught it) as youre relearning all the core concepts at much greater depth, by year 2 it gets fairly easy : ) hope that helps !
science and humantities was a good mix i enjoyed it i think you will too !

Quick Reply

Latest