The Student Room Group

Would a somewhat average set of GCSE results impact on entrance into Cambridge?

All in all my GCSE results were somewhat average in many senses of the word due to complicated circumstances I only received 1 A, 11B's and a merit. These grades make me worried on any chances of gaining entrance to Cambridge so would if theoretically I did outstanding in my A-levels and of course others activities to prove my worth would my GCSE grades hurt my chances that badly? If so is there anything I can do- obviously my new school thinks I can achieve this by allowing me to take 5 A-Levels.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by realistpessimist
All in all my GCSE results were somewhat average in many senses of the word due to complicated circumstances I only received 1 A, 11B's and a merit. These grades make me worried on any chances of gaining entrance to Cambridge so would if theoretically I did outstanding in my A-levels and of course others activities to prove my worth would my GCSE grades hurt my chances that badly? If so is there anything I can do- obviously my new school thinks I can achieve this by allowing me to take 5 A-Levels.

Im not a successful cambridge applicant as of now. But i have applied once to cambridge last year wuth gcse of 3a*3b. And git an ibterview. Its great that you are aining for cambridge but would you be able to coop with 5 a levels. Wiyldnt it be better if yiu ficused on 4 and did exceedungly well in them. And whuch course are you appkyin ?

GCSEs are typically less important for Cambridge than for Oxford but there's no saying whether they'll become slightly more important in future because of the A Level reforms. However, the current protocol, as far as I've been able to gather from the Admissions Tutors AMA threads is that applicants are typically classed as either 'continuous high achiever' or 'upward academic trajectory' -- you could fall under the latter category if you do well in your A Levels. Has your school retained the AS qualification? If so, you may have a chance to prove yourself by doing really well at AS both in grade and UMS terms.

About the bold part: Cambridge doesn't care about extracurricular activities unless they pertain to the subject you're applying for. It's all about academics and aptitude for your subject with Cambridge. :wink:

Original post by Duke Glacia
Im not a successful cambridge applicant as of now. But i have applied once to cambridge last year wuth gcse of 3a*3b. And git an ibterview. Its great that you are aining for cambridge but would you be able to coop with 5 a levels. Wiyldnt it be better if yiu ficused on 4 and did exceedungly well in them. And whuch course are you appkyin ?

I'm not sure whether you're trying to troll the OP with that forced-looking bad spelling but Cambridge interviews the majority of applicants (~80 percent) so to make it to interview stage isn't that huge a deal provided you've done reasonably well at AS (I knew somebody who got a Natural Sciences interview with less than 90 percent UMS average across his three best science subjects). It's Oxford where the majority of applicants are excluded before interview, meaning that you've already survived the first big axe if you get an interview there.

To the OP: I second this poster's point that it's better to do four A Levels, especially since most people will have done no more than four and, with Cambridge, it's likely that they'll actually include all five of your subjects in the offer if you take them at A Level as well as AS. That's really not worth doing especially since, to get an interview, only your best three or most relevant three subjects will count, depending on the subject. Seriously, no point taking more than four. It's better to do well in three/four A Levels than do averagely in five. :tongue:
Original post by Duke Glacia

Well at the moment I feel like doing 5 A-levels is actually benefiting me very well, it makes me strive to constantly do the best. I was hoping to take the law course at Cambridge.
Original post by Hydeman
Has your school retained the AS qualification? If so, you may have a chance to prove yourself by doing really well at AS both in grade and UMS terms.

To an extent they have yes as currently I am taking 2 as subjects alongside the 3 a-level subjects, but the school stresses that you do no drop the as and continue on to a-level.
To an extent they have yes as currently I am taking 2 as subjects alongside the 3 a-level subjects, but the school stresses that you do no drop the as and continue on to a-level.

You'll need to keep an eye out for Cambridge's announcements on how it's modifying its selection process to suit the new A Levels. Chances are that the AS won't be as mandatory as before since not everybody is doing it but, if you're going to do AS Levels, I advise you do three and not two and reduce your total A Levels to four. There's little point doing only two AS Levels in order to take five A Levels total, when most offers are likely to be conditional on three, except with Cambridge, who have a reputation for giving four or even five A Level offers. I feel sorry for those people who get those offers. :tongue:
Original post by Hydeman
GCSEs are typically less important for Cambridge than for Oxford but there's no saying whether they'll become slightly more important in future because of the A Level reforms. However, the current protocol, as far as I've been able to gather from the Admissions Tutors AMA threads is that applicants are typically classed as either 'continuous high achiever' or 'upward academic trajectory' -- you could fall under the latter category if you do well in your A Levels. Has your school retained the AS qualification? If so, you may have a chance to prove yourself by doing really well at AS both in grade and UMS terms.

About the bold part: Cambridge doesn't care about extracurricular activities unless they pertain to the subject you're applying for. It's all about academics and aptitude for your subject with Cambridge. :wink:

I'm not sure whether you're trying to troll the OP with that forced-looking bad spelling but Cambridge interviews the majority of applicants (~80 percent) so to make it to interview stage isn't that huge a deal provided you've done reasonably well at AS (I knew somebody who got a Natural Sciences interview with less than 90 percent UMS average across his three best science subjects). It's Oxford where the majority of applicants are excluded before interview, meaning that you've already survived the first big axe if you get an interview there.

To the OP: I second this poster's point that it's better to do four A Levels, especially since most people will have done no more than four and, with Cambridge, it's likely that they'll actually include all five of your subjects in the offer if you take them at A Level as well as AS. That's really not worth doing especially since, to get an interview, only your best three or most relevant three subjects will count, depending on the subject. Seriously, no point taking more than four. It's better to do well in three/four A Levels than do averagely in five. :tongue:

Seriously does that look like a troll. I m actually a reapplicant and i know its not at all a big deal to get an interview. I wouldnt say i did bad in as levels. And sorry for the spelling im using the web version of tsr on mobile so prediction isnt workin.
Original post by Hydeman

I advise you do three and not two and reduce your total A Levels to four.

Im sorry I don't really get what you are saying hear, if I am taking 2 as-subjects at the moment and three a-levels then how could I take up another AS and then get 4 A-levels in total? i would then just be taking an extra AS.
Im sorry I don't really get what you are saying hear, if I am taking 2 as-subjects at the moment and three a-levels then how could I take up another AS and then get 4 A-levels in total? i would then just be taking an extra AS.

The AS is a standalone qualification now that does not contribute to the full A Level as it has in the past. When you say you're taking three A Levels, those are totally independent of the corresponding AS. You don't need to take an AS in a particular subject to do the full A Level at the end of the two years anymore (correct me if I'm wrong on this) so you wouldn't be taking an extra AS.

What I'm suggesting you do is take three AS Levels and then pursue those subjects, in addition to a fourth A Level, if you really want to (three is really fine, but you seem to want to do more) in year 13. The third AS would be in one of the subjects you do the full A Level in, hence you end up with four A Levels and three AS Levels.

i'm in the same position as you because i got the exact same results and wish to get into Cambridge :O
Original post by Hydeman
The AS is a standalone qualification now that does not contribute to the full A Level as it has in the past. When you say you're taking three A Levels, those are totally independent of the corresponding AS. You don't need to take an AS in a particular subject to do the full A Level at the end of the two years anymore (correct me if I'm wrong on this) so you wouldn't be taking an extra AS.

What I'm suggesting you do is take three AS Levels and then pursue those subjects, in addition to a fourth A Level, if you really want to (three is really fine, but you seem to want to do more) in year 13. The third AS would be in one of the subjects you do the full A Level in, hence you end up with four A Levels and three AS Levels.

That's not exactly true because what you are talking about only applies to the high demand subjects e.g. biology, where the As doesn't count because the final (after 2 years of sixth form exam) has both content from the As and the A2 courses thus making it possible not to sit the As and just continue to A2. For now schools still do As as a way of measuring if students are capable of meeting course requirements after GCSE.In other subjects the AS still counts e.g. philosophy and ethics, psychology and sociology. I know this because im taking the subjects.
Original post by longking
i'm in the same position as you because i got the exact same results and wish to get into Cambridge :O

What do you wish to study.

you might as well just take 4 and drop one after As and then pick another at A2 making you have 3 A-levels and 2 AS but with less pressure
What do you wish to study.

I want to study law or maybe philosophy or theology im indecisive.

What about you?
Original post by Hydeman

Yes I see what you are trying to get at but that is not how the system works anymore, I am taking 3 A-levels in the new system, and two AS in the old system they are then taken up as an A-level upon passing that AS meaning I will have 5 A-levels in 2 years. for me to have 4 A-levels i would need to drop one as now.
I want to study law or maybe philosophy or theology im indecisive.

What about you?

I also am passionate about studying law, i would suggest that over the other tow you stated as they don't really have open career aspects for you to go into and if you are to go into them oxford would be a better option as they focus more so in the teaching of subjects due to passion.
-source, oxford delegate at a university conference.
That's not exactly true because what you are talking about only applies to the high demand subjects e.g. biology, where the As doesn't count because the final (after 2 years of sixth form exam) has both content from the As and the A2 courses thus making it possible not to sit the As and just continue to A2. For now schools still do As as a way of measuring if students are capable of meeting course requirements after GCSE.In other subjects the AS still counts e.g. philosophy and ethics, psychology and sociology. I know this because im taking the subjects.

Hmm. I'll let you take over because my knowledge on the new A Levels is quite limited, it seems. :smile:
I also am passionate about studying law, i would suggest that over the other tow you stated as they don't really have open career aspects for you to go into and if you are to go into them oxford would be a better option as they focus more so in the teaching of subjects due to passion.
-source, oxford delegate at a university conference.

Okay, What As Levels are you taking?
Okay, What As Levels are you taking?

I'm taking a mix of AS and A-levels the same as you probably due to the new system. I am currently taking: sociology, politics, economics, history and classical civilisations. What about you?
I'm taking a mix of AS and A-levels the same as you probably due to the new system. I am currently taking: sociology, politics, economics, history and classical civilisations. What about you?

I'M taking philosophy and ethics, sociology psychology and biology

are we allowed to PM on this site ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending