The Student Room Group

CBAs and University

Hello! Sorry to bother you, and I hope that this forum makes… some sense? Probably not, sorry! And that I’m doing this somewhat vaguely correctly, which is also unlikely sorry! Sorry.

I’m a Second Year (fourteen years old, year before the Junior Cert like the GCSEs, but less important, I think) in Ireland, but am a British citizen. I desperately want to apply to Oxford or Cambridge, and whilst I know my chances are very slender, until about… an hour and thirty-five minutes ago, I thought I had a good chance of being strong enough in academics. However, I just got in line with expectations in my Business CBA

For more context, CBAs are… a strange Irish thing. The marks are exceptional, above expectations, in line with expectations and yet to meet expectations, although these are a bit funny; the assumption is that almost everyone will get in line, a few above or yet to meet, and perhaps a couple exceptional. They’re sort of like a fancy project in content, and whilst they don’t exactly affect the Junior Cert until the Third Year ones, one gets a slip of paper with one’s results at the same time as one’s Junior Cert results, and they are a legal, state thing, connected to the Junior Cert.

I got in line with expectations for my CBA, which was drastically lower than I was expecting. It is not a terrible grade almost everyone in the class got it and it was a group project for which everyone got the same grade, so the fault was not entirely mine. However, knowing how competitive Oxbridge is and I think that GCSEs, at least, have some impact? I was wondering if any-one had any ideas on if it would affect my chances? I don’t intend to apply for anything even vaguely related to Business, if that matters; probably English, maybe History or Classics.

Sorry, I know this is ridiculously far in advance, but I am… very worried, to say the least. Thank you in advance, and I’m very sorry for… everything that’s probably wrong with this! Sorry.
(edited 12 months ago)
Original post by EthicalPony
Hello! Sorry to bother you, and I hope that this forum makes… some sense? Probably not, sorry! And that I’m doing this somewhat vaguely correctly, which is also unlikely sorry! Sorry.

I’m a Second Year (fourteen years old, year before the Junior Cert like the GCSEs, but less important, I think) in Ireland, but am a British citizen. I desperately want to apply to Oxford or Cambridge, and whilst I know my chances are very slender, until about… an hour and thirty-five minutes ago, I thought I had a good chance of being strong enough in academics. However, I just got in line with expectations in my Business CBA

For more context, CBAs are… a strange Irish thing. The marks are exceptional, above expectations, in line with expectations and yet to meet expectations, although these are a bit funny; the assumption is that almost everyone will get in line, a few above or yet to meet, and perhaps a couple exceptional. They’re sort of like a fancy project in content, and whilst they don’t exactly affect the Junior Cert until the Third Year ones, one gets a slip of paper with one’s results at the same time as one’s Junior Cert results, and they are a legal, state thing, connected to the Junior Cert.

I got in line with expectations for my CBA, which was drastically lower than I was expecting. It is not a terrible grade almost everyone in the class got it and it was a group project for which everyone got the same grade, so the fault was not entirely mine. However, knowing how competitive Oxbridge is and I think that GCSEs, at least, have some impact? I was wondering if any-one had any ideas on if it would affect my chances? I don’t intend to apply for anything even vaguely related to Business, if that matters; probably English, maybe History or Classics.

Sorry, I know this is ridiculously far in advance, but I am… very worried, to say the least. Thank you in advance, and I’m very sorry for… everything that’s probably wrong with this! Sorry.
For Cambridge, they will be looking at your Irish Leaving Cert:
"Offers are based on achievement in Higher Level subjects, with H1 in subjects most relevant to the course.

Courses with a typical A Level offer of A*AA generally require H1, H1, H1, H2, H2, H2; and for courses with a typical A Level offer of A*A*A, Leaving Certificate offers are usually H1, H1, H1, H1, H2, H2."
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements

For Oxford:
"Irish Leaving Certificate:

For courses with an A-level entrance requirement of AAA: H2H2H2H2H2H2 at Higher level.

For courses with an A-level entrance requirement of A*AA: H1H1H2H2H2H2 at Higher level.

For courses with an A-level entrance requirement of A*A*A: H1H1H1H1H2H2 at Higher level."
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/for-international-students/international-qualifications#:~:text=An%20average%20of%2085%25%20or,further%20information%20about%20specified%20subjects.

Nothing in their entry requirements suggests they even look at the Junior Cert / CBA

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending