The Student Room Group

oxbridge grades

are these gcse grades good enough for oxbridge ? Interested in maybe law/english lit :smile:
maths - 6
english lit - 9
english lang - 9
physics - 6
chemistry - 7
biology - 8
drama - 6
textiles - 6
RE and Philosophy - 9
History - 9
Original post by daisy_._
are these gcse grades good enough for oxbridge ? Interested in maybe law/english lit :smile:
maths - 6
english lit - 9
english lang - 9
physics - 6
chemistry - 7
biology - 8
drama - 6
textiles - 6
RE and Philosophy - 9
History - 9

In the context of what type of school and the results its pupils achieve?
maths - 6
english lit - 9
english lang - 9
physics - 6
chemistry - 7
biology - 8
drama - 6
textiles - 6
RE and Philosophy - 9
History - 9

I guess it largely comes down to contextual factors, i.e where you studied and how well your cohort at that school did on average.

Obviously if you don’t apply at all, you have no chance of getting in - irrespective of how strong Oxford or Cambridge would perceive your GCSE grades to be in light of your context.

Rather than worrying about your GCSE grades, I would imagine that you would mostly need to work on ensuring your A level predictions are solid, ensuring you have a few extracurriculars you can talk about in depth in your UCAS application and (nearer to the time) having practice with both your entrance exams and interview technique.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
In the context of what type of school and the results its pupils achieve?

i went to a grammar school (it was a state school, not private) and as it was a grammar most people did quite well
Reply 4
i went to a grammar school (it was a state school, not private) and as it was a grammar most people did quite well

I think you have too few top grades.

Well, being honest, that's not going to help you. I'm guessing quite a few people in your cohort did significantly better? Cambridge generally place less importance on GCSEs that Oxford, but explicitly state that they look at the context in which they are achieved.

Quick Reply

Latest