The Student Room Group

Bath Economics w/ Placement Year

So I'm really considering going to Bath to study econ, but the deal breaker for me would be how attractive the investment banking prospects are.

Given that the placements are a year long and (according to their website) are at firms such as Goldman and JPM, how much of a chance will I have at securing a job in IB following graduation??

Also how do the prospects compare with the likes of Durham and Bristol?

Cheers
Original post by alex_david97
So I'm really considering going to Bath to study econ, but the deal breaker for me would be how attractive the investment banking prospects are.

Given that the placements are a year long and (according to their website) are at firms such as Goldman and JPM, how much of a chance will I have at securing a job in IB following graduation??

Cheers

Hey there, I'm a Maths student applying for placements this year at Bath.

Bath is described as a 'semi-target' uni for IB. so there are better places but it's not impossible to get in after studying at Bath.

You can apply to anywhere that is recruiting (or send out speculative applications but that's something else), so you can apply for banking placements if you wish. Also apply for spring week programs to boost your chances. I'm not sure if it's 'guaranteed' that you'll get a job there after doing those two things but if you're a strong candidate then I don't see why not.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by alex_david97

Cheers

No, they aren't specifically at anywhere. You need to apply to these schemes yourself, and get in. Just note that you can't do a placement year in IBD, but quite a few banks will have one in the S&T department, the caveat being most people who do these years end up in operations due to few numbers of FO schemes.

Durham is slightly better (not enough to make a decision on tbh), but they are all semi-targets.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
No, they aren't specifically at anywhere. You need to apply to these schemes yourself, and get in. Just note that you can't do a placement year in IBD, but quite a few banks will have one in the S&T department, the caveat being most people who do these years end up in operations due to few numbers of FO schemes.

Durham is slightly better (not enough to make a decision on tbh), but they are all semi-targets.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I debating whether to apply to bath orr durham but the bath economics sandwich course with placement
I was wondering how much of an advantage does the year long placement put u at for jobs and do most ofnth3 firms give u a job afterwards?
Also do u have to mention in ur ops about wanting to do a placement and is it worth doing and is it harder to get onto
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by youreanutter
I debating whether to apply to bath orr durham but the bath economics sandwich course with placement
I was wondering how much of an advantage does the year long placement put u at for jobs and do most ofnth3 firms give u a job afterwards?
Also do u have to mention in ur ops about wanting to do a placement and is it worth doing and is it harder to get onto

For banking, not much. standard path is spring > summer > grad. The extra year is nice just for the sake of getting more experience, but it's not a do or die thing. Realistically a good summer internship program with a return offer mechanism is just as good as a placement year with the same thing.

Don't think you need to explicitly mention the placement year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd recommend that you got o somewhere like Oxbridge or Imperial/LSE or one of the other too universities to get into banking.
If it's IBD you want, I wouldn't recommend the placement year option to be honest. Only bank which does a placement year in IBD is UBS (Lazard used to do it but they haven't offered it for a few years now so not expecting them to be offering it any time soon).

Investment Banks like Goldman etc do placement years but they're mostly in Operations or Investment Management. HSBC do fantastic placement opportunities JUST for Bath students within Equity/Fixed Income/FX Research Departments, and Goldman do Equity Research placements.

Morgan Stanley do Industrial Placements in S&T (another area of IBD) and I think maybe Citi do too? Not sure on them. *

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending