The Student Room Group

Finance/Econ Suggestion

I'm on A*AB for my predicted, A* In Economics, A In Mathematics and the B in History. My current choices are:

1) St Andrews: Financial Econ - AAA-ABB
2) Bath: A&F w/ Placement - AAB
3) Durham: A&F w/ Placement - AAB-ABB
4) City: A&F Foundation Yr - BBB
5) Surrey: Econ/Finance w/ Placement: CCC

But I've been considering scrapping St Andrews due to an apparent geographical disadvantage for finance careers relative to England based but idk what to replace it with. Any suggestions? Can be on the one university or my overall choices.
Reply 1
Forget Surrey and City - Surrey has no reputation for anything and it'll cost you a fortune to live in / near London.
And you dont need to go as low as CCC.

Sussex - Accounting, Banking and Finance, undergraduate courses : University of Sussex
Reading - Accounting UG degree courses (reading.ac.uk)
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
Forget Surrey and City - Surrey has no reputation for anything and it'll cost you a fortune to live in / near London.

Sussex - Accounting, Banking and Finance, undergraduate courses : University of Sussex

Appreciate the reply. Surrey's more or less my worst worst case and it seems like it's pretty decent, ranked 13th overall as of rn and significantly higher than Sussex and Reading in both A&F and Economics.
Reply 3
Surrey has had a good name for a lot of years for accounting and has a good year in industry set up.
Original post by McGinger

You have no clue about what you’re saying. You tell them not to apply to Surrey or City Uni then tell them to apply to Sussex or Reading. Surrey has much more industry connections than both Reading and Sussex. It has also more students going towards investment banking than both Reading and Sussex. Bayes Business School (part of City Uni) is also one of the best business schools in the UK and it would be foolish to say Sussex or Reading is a better option than Bayes Business School.

Also it’s actually AAB to apply to Surrey. I think OP may be applying for a foundation year to study economics and finance at Surrey (no idea why).
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by ChanBlinkOnce
You have no clue about what you’re saying. You tell them not to apply to Surrey or City Uni then tell them to apply to Sussex or Reading. Surrey has much more industry connections than both Reading and Sussex. It has also more students going towards investment banking than both Reading and Sussex. Bayes Business School (part of City Uni) is also one of the best business schools in the UK and it would be foolish to say Sussex or Reading is a better option than Bayes Business School.

Also it’s actually AAB to apply to Surrey. I think OP may be applying for a foundation year to study economics and finance at Surrey (no idea why).

It was initially gonna be my worst case if I get no offers but in my final choices I swapped it with UCL as an aspirational choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending