The Student Room Group

am i going to regret my university degree?

so im studying international development with economics and a year in placement, i dont hear much about this course as i got it as an alternative offer on results day from my uni (im attending university of bath) i only really. accepted the offer because bath is quite a good uni and was my firm choice, im not sure if im going to be able to be as successful with this degree compared to what i was planning to study before which was just economics... anyways so now im just second guessing my choices..
It really depends on what you plan to do after the degree.
Stay put. As you say Bath is a highly-rated uni so getting a degree from that institution will put you in good stead. International development with economics is a good degree. Sure, you will struggle to get a job with an investment bank without a pure economics degree but you will still be able to get a great job at the end of your degree in government or with and NGO.
Original post by sylvaticia
so im studying international development with economics and a year in placement, i dont hear much about this course as i got it as an alternative offer on results day from my uni (im attending university of bath) i only really. accepted the offer because bath is quite a good uni and was my firm choice, im not sure if im going to be able to be as successful with this degree compared to what i was planning to study before which was just economics... anyways so now im just second guessing my choices..

Hi @sylvaticia,

Congratulations on starting your course.

People do different jobs with their courses for example I know History and Art students who are now teaching, people who did economics who are financial advisors as well as people who did Psychology are now working on trains (not sure of their exact job title). I hope this provides some reassurance that your course does not determine your career and you can change your mind about career as you go on. International development with economics opens doors in politics, economics and more that I am not aware of!

Employers like to see work experience alongside academic achievements so its great that you have your placement year in your degree. It will help make you competitive so I would say to really make the most of that year with regards to networking, attending events and starting projects.

Which career did you have in mind?

If you are still concerned, I would recommend speaking to a supervisor/academic support/careers support that is available to you through University sooner rather than later.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 4
Original post by University of Kent
Hi @sylvaticia,

Congratulations on starting your course.

People do different jobs with their courses for example I know History and Art students who are now teaching, people who did economics who are financial advisors as well as people who did Psychology are now working on trains (not sure of their exact job title). I hope this provides some reassurance that your course does not determine your career and you can change your mind about career as you go on. International development with economics opens doors in politics, economics and more that I am not aware of!

Employers like to see work experience alongside academic achievements so its great that you have your placement year in your degree. It will help make you competitive so I would say to really make the most of that year with regards to networking, attending events and starting projects.

Which career did you have in mind?

If you are still concerned, I would recommend speaking to a supervisor/academic support/careers support that is available to you through University sooner rather than later.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

Hi thank you for the reply!
I was thinking of working in finance after graduating since I wanted to study pure economics initially. But I’m honestly open to any industry that pays well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending