The Student Room Group

Somerville Applicants for 2016/Oxford

Anyone applied to Somerville 2016 entry?

Scroll to see replies

I was just about to make a thread for this, hahaha. I'm applying to read English at Somerville. Wbu? :smile: Also where are you applying from?
Reply 2
Original post by Kaddy_Dee
I was just about to make a thread for this, hahaha. I'm applying to read English at Somerville. Wbu? :smile: Also where are you applying from?

USA ! applied to somerville for PPE :smile: hoping for the best
Original post by Nikki2317
USA ! applied to somerville for PPE :smile: hoping for the best

That's pretty cool. I really, really hope you get an interview. We should be hearing back by the end of next month so :crossedf:

Did you have a specific reason for choosing Somerville? I've heard it's the most liberal college.
Reply 4
Applied for history 😊 got my HAT test next week 😥
Reply 5
Original post by MHI
Applied for history 😊 got my HAT test next week 😥

same :/ TSA on Wedneday :/ good luck! i almost applied for history and politics
Reply 6
Original post by Nikki2317
same :/ TSA on Wedneday :/ good luck! i almost applied for history and politics

Thanks, good luck to you too. How are you preparing for your TSA?
Reply 7
Original post by MHI
Thanks, good luck to you too. How are you preparing for your TSA?

skimming past papers and getting familiar with the format. Some of the questions are practically just IQ related so there isn't much to do prior to the exam
Reply 8
Hey! I'm applying to Somerville from the US as well to study French and English! Has anybody been? I'd love to hear how it is from someone who's visited the school

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by SGrice
Hey! I'm applying to Somerville from the US as well to study French and English! Has anybody been? I'd love to hear how it is from someone who's visited the school

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's really nice, its a bit of a walk from the train but you can walk on the grass and everyone was really nice when I visited there
Original post by SGrice

Posted from TSR Mobile

Somerville is pretty in a way that's not in your face like the older colleges. It's modern but not too modern. It's nice, quiet and away from the centre where the other colleges are clustered. And it's far away from tourists which is great because there are herds of them everywhere (yikes!). Only problem is that it's a fair walking distance from the train station.
Reply 11
Reply 12
Hey - I'm a first year doing Philosophy & Spanish at Somerville if any of you guys have questions!

I would say (of course) that Somerville is a really nice college, the architecture is a bit of a pick'n'mix of different styles, so it's quite unassuming. We're a little way out from the centre (it's only a 10-20 minute walk, though!) and so we don't get tourists. The library is one of the best in any Oxford college, open 24/7 of course, and the dining hall is pretty great. Plus, we have a decent bar and a really nice atmosphere I think. ALSO GUYS YOU CAN WALK ON THE GRASS. Enough said.
Original post by Oxvlog
Hey - I'm a first year doing Philosophy & Spanish at Somerville if any of you guys have questions!

I would say (of course) that Somerville is a really nice college, the architecture is a bit of a pick'n'mix of different styles, so it's quite unassuming. We're a little way out from the centre (it's only a 10-20 minute walk, though!) and so we don't get tourists. The library is one of the best in any Oxford college, open 24/7 of course, and the dining hall is pretty great. Plus, we have a decent bar and a really nice atmosphere I think. ALSO GUYS YOU CAN WALK ON THE GRASS. Enough said.

Sounds perfect! Hahaha.

Is it a small college? How many first years are there? And what is the state school to private school ratio? :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Kaddy_Dee
Sounds perfect! Hahaha.

Is it a small college? How many first years are there? And what is the state school to private school ratio? :smile:

It's not that small really! There are around 400 undergrads in total! Not sure how many first years, though. The state school/private school is pretty average for Oxford with around 55-60/40-45% respectively, however Somerville does have a disproportionate amount of international students (25% of Undergrad, and 70% of postgrad I think).
Reply 15
Hi. I applied for Biological Sciences. Do you know when the interview invitation will be given out from Somerville? I found on the college website that it will be on early December but, for my course, the timetable for interview is 9th-11th Dec! The arrangment to get there and interview preparation will be a nightmare...
Original post by Oxvlog
It's not that small really! There are around 400 undergrads in total! Not sure how many first years, though. The state school/private school is pretty average for Oxford with around 55-60/40-45% respectively, however Somerville does have a disproportionate amount of international students (25% of Undergrad, and 70% of postgrad I think).

I loved Somerville when I visited on the open day!
Do you know if international students are required to move out their stuff from their rooms during the holidays? Do you have an en suite or are you sharing a bathroom?

I'm applying for English by the way :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by ziggyystardust
I loved Somerville when I visited on the open day!
Do you know if international students are required to move out their stuff from their rooms during the holidays? Do you have an en suite or are you sharing a bathroom?

I'm applying for English by the way :smile:

International students still have to move their things but you can get storage boxes in college for free so you can keep them on site! Haha and none of us have en suites :P
Reply 18
Anyone been asked to interview yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Apply for Biochemistry in Somerville :smile:
Anyone hear anything about interview yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending