The Student Room Group

Will I go study at the college I was allocated to?

(edited 2 months ago)
There is a small possibility that another college may make an offer, if for example your allocated college interviews 7 excellent candidates but only have six places. They can recommend the seventh candidate to another college.
btw what is it about your allocated college that you don't like?
Also for some subjects you get interviews at different colleges
Original post by TornadoDragon
Hello guys! :smile:
I've applied to study Geography at Oxford, and I made the little mistake of making an open application, and now I was allocated to a college that I don't like at all...
Does this allocation thing mean that I will certainly be taken by that college only, or can I get an interview and an offer from a different college than the one I was allocated to, and study there instead?
(Or will the allocated college only get to interview me and take me? (if that'll happen)). Is there any chance for me to be taken by another college?
Please help and hope you have a great day! :smile:

You can end up at a different college altogether - this may be a result of getting an open offer or due to second college interviews. BetaVersion2.9 explained post-interview reallocation very well.

I applied to Magdalen (for Chemistry), was interviewed by them and Somerville, given an open offer by Queen’s and after A level results day, I ended up at St John’s, where I am very happy.
You will most likely only be interviewed by the college they have allocated you to unfortunately, unless another college decides to interview you as well. I made the same mistake as you and am at a college I'm not that keen on and it's honestly not that bad, you will get used to it and learn to love things about your college. Also I'm not at Hilda's but I have tutorials there this term and it is beautiful and right on the river, I believe Hilda's students have exclusive access to punting whenever they want, also it is extremely close to Cowley where all the best restaurants and pubs are, if you end up in Hilda's you mind find yourself liking it. :smile:
Hello guys! :smile:
I've applied to study Geography at Oxford, and I made the little mistake of making an open application, and now I was allocated to a college that I don't like at all...
Does this allocation thing mean that I will certainly be taken by that college only, or can I get an interview and an offer from a different college than the one I was allocated to, and study there instead?
(Or will the allocated college only get to interview me and take me? (if that'll happen)). Is there any chance for me to be taken by another college?
Please help and hope you have a great day! :smile:

Why did you make an open application if there are certain colleges that you really don’t like?
Thanks
I see, I'll be stuck with that college forever unfortunately...
I don't think I'd get to like it, because it's very far from my department, I don't like punting and pubs at all so those don't interest me, I've heard the rooms are old and not very well-kept (again, I've only heard this, idk of it's true), and it's not very good academically. But hey I can always accept the other uni offers I have so yeah 😂😂

WHAT? It’s an Oxford college - how could it possibly be “not very good academically”?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending