The Student Room Group

Gcse mocks

I am partway through my GCSE mock exams and i made the mnistake of hardly revising. I just didn't have enough time because i wanted to focus on all my coursework. Now i feel like i am way below my targets in the mocks, how important are they because im quite worried?? :/
Original post by OliviaJH
I am partway through my GCSE mock exams and i made the mnistake of hardly revising. I just didn't have enough time because i wanted to focus on all my coursework. Now i feel like i am way below my targets in the mocks, how important are they because im quite worried?? :/

Hey. How do you feel they're going? I'm in the same position as you, only my mocks are 4 weeks away. I completely understand what you say about coursework... it just takes up your life. "how important are they" what do you mean by this? How important are the mocks or how important are your targets?
Mocks are not too important. They don't count towards your final grade they just tell you where you need to put your time and effort in. My mocks were really bad but my GCSE grades were practically polar opposites. Also you will do lots of individual tests in between the mocks and the real thing so just try harder in those.
Original post by TheAlphaParticle
Mocks are not too important. They don't count towards your final grade they just tell you where you need to put your time and effort in. My mocks were really bad but my GCSE grades were practically polar opposites. Also you will do lots of individual tests in between the mocks and the real thing so just try harder in those.

Mocks can be important as the results are sent off to sixth forms. But yeah I agree that they tell you "where you need to put your time and effort in" ;]
Original post by Ella_08
Mocks can be important as the results are sent off to sixth forms. But yeah I agree that they tell you "where you need to put your time and effort in" ;]

yes they are important in that sense but they do not have to be amazing unless it is a grammar school or something along that lines
yes they are important in that sense but they do not have to be amazing unless it is a grammar school or something along that lines

Yeah 4 Bs and 3Cs at the minimum should get you into a grammar school at a push
Reply 6
Okay thanks guys I'm new to this website so I don't know if it will end up notifying you that I've replied lol but anyway I was just wondering how important they are in terms of indicating how you will do in the real thing :smile: 4 weeks would have been enough time for me to revise FOR MOCKS and I usually revise for every small test but I just literally haven't had time and my school only just stopped giving us homework
Reply 7
Original post by Ella_08
Hey. How do you feel they're going? I'm in the same position as you, only my mocks are 4 weeks away. I completely understand what you say about coursework... it just takes up your life. "how important are they" what do you mean by this? How important are the mocks or how important are your targets?

Hey! I guess I feel like im just not doing my best because I didn't revise as thoroughly as i normally would and its so annoying! i meant how important are mocks in showing what grades you will get in the summer :smile: Good luck with yours! 4 weeks would have been enough time for me because we only do our mocks on two-thirds of the course, but we got homework and coursework to do right till the start of them :frown:
Reply 8

Thanks! thats very reassuring! - i will definately try alot harder in the ones after mocks
Hey! I guess I feel like im just not doing my best because I didn't revise as thoroughly as i normally would and its so annoying! i meant how important are mocks in showing what grades you will get in the summer :smile: Good luck with yours! 4 weeks would have been enough time for me because we only do our mocks on two-thirds of the course, but we got homework and coursework to do right till the start of them :frown:

How many mocks have you done so far? You still have time. I can relate to that, without revision I usually under achieve but sometimes I come out lucky. You might too, sometimes you shock yourself; if you listened in lessons this will partly make up for some of the revision you couldn't because of coursework/homework. Don't be too hard on yourself though, there is so much information, pressure and work involved with all the subjects at GCSE. Just don't stress! Or panic!
The usual theory is that your mock grades will be one less grade than your actual GCSE grade. So say you got a B in Maths in the mock for example, you would get an A in your real GCSE exam. But this isn't necessarily true - don't work off the mock grades to guess what you'll get in your GCSE exams. Whilst the mocks can be a good indicator of how well you're doing, there are many things that are inaccurate about them. I.e. a hard exam, you have a bad day, not enough time to revise. Just use the mock grades as an effective revision tool to motivate you and not an excuse to not revise hard enough for the GCSE exams.
And thank you :wink: :smile:
Okay thanks guys I'm new to this website so I don't know if it will end up notifying you that I've replied lol but anyway I was just wondering how important they are in terms of indicating how you will do in the real thing :smile: 4 weeks would have been enough time for me to revise FOR MOCKS and I usually revise for every small test but I just literally haven't had time and my school only just stopped giving us homework

Not very important at all. My friend got a D in her physics mock last year and only lost 2 marks in the real exam :biggrin: So don't worry yourself you will do fine, after all mocks are there to tell you where to improve and how. Your teachers will (hopefully) be behind you to guide you how to improve after your mocks :smile: So relax!
Reply 11
Original post by Ella_08
How many mocks have you done so far? You still have time. I can relate to that, without revision I usually under achieve but sometimes I come out lucky. You might too, sometimes you shock yourself; if you listened in lessons this will partly make up for some of the revision you couldn't because of coursework/homework. Don't be too hard on yourself though, there is so much information, pressure and work involved with all the subjects at GCSE. Just don't stress! Or panic!
The usual theory is that your mock grades will be one less grade than your actual GCSE grade. So say you got a B in Maths in the mock for example, you would get an A in your real GCSE exam. But this isn't necessarily true - don't work off the mock grades to guess what you'll get in your GCSE exams. Whilst the mocks can be a good indicator of how well you're doing, there are many things that are inaccurate about them. I.e. a hard exam, you have a bad day, not enough time to revise. Just use the mock grades as an effective revision tool to motivate you and not an excuse to not revise hard enough for the GCSE exams.
And thank you :wink: :smile:

I have done 7 out of 19 so far, I HATE not feeling prepaired for exams its just really not me! and i hate the conversations people have after an exam you felt went badly:/ so it really puts me down but hopefully i can just get through these 2 weeks and yes thankyou! i need to remember that its all a learning process like you say :smile: and YES I am so inconsistent without revision sometimes it will be a C and sometimes an A*! What sorts of grades are you hoping for?
I didn't revise for any of my mocks, which did result in me getting D's, E's and even U's in some cases. I also found that I didn't have time but when it came to my real exams I revised and got all A's and B's
For sixth forms you might need to show your report which will have your predicted grades, your mocks will impact these slightly but not horrible.

Good luck when it comes to the real exams and your course work!
I have done 7 out of 19 so far, I HATE not feeling prepaired for exams its just really not me! and i hate the conversations people have after an exam you felt went badly:/ so it really puts me down but hopefully i can just get through these 2 weeks and yes thankyou! i need to remember that its all a learning process like you say :smile: and YES I am so inconsistent without revision sometimes it will be a C and sometimes an A*! What sorts of grades are you hoping for?

Well that's not even half so maybe just do tons of revision over the weekend so you can ace the other half. I hate feeling unprepared too. I usually don't involve myself in how other people did, there really is no use in it. At the end of the day, it's about you. Only you :wink:
I want to do quite well, I guess. I'm aiming for A*s in geography/english/graphics/biology. And then hopefully As in history/physics/chemistry/maths. & a B in spanish. It's not like I need to get these grades though - there's a difference in what you want and what you need. I wouldn't mind if I didn't get a string of A/A*s.
What about you? ;]
Reply 14
Original post by Ella_08
Well that's not even half so maybe just do tons of revision over the weekend so you can ace the other half. I hate feeling unprepared too. I usually don't involve myself in how other people did, there really is no use in it. At the end of the day, it's about you. Only you :wink:
I want to do quite well, I guess. I'm aiming for A*s in geography/english/graphics/biology. And then hopefully As in history/physics/chemistry/maths. & a B in spanish. It's not like I need to get these grades though - there's a difference in what you want and what you need. I wouldn't mind if I didn't get a string of A/A*s.
What about you? ;]

Yeah i will make sure i make use of the weekend:smile: and mine are quite similar, im hoping to get as many A/A*s as possbile but especially A*s in biology/chemistry/German because im definately taking them for A-level - I am just 100% sure i won't get these in the mocks! I WISH i had started revising when my mocks were 4 weeks away it would have saved me so much pain and stress now :/ Now its a matter of prioritising which subjects i aim to pass at mocks because i only have a weekend loool:oops:

Quick Reply

Latest