The Student Room Group

Substitute for Further Maths

School does not offer further maths.
I have contacted other schools which do offer it and asked if it would be possible for me to sit as a private candidate but they all do not accept private candidates.
Is there anything i could do to help the fact that i have no way of doing further maths.
I plan to study either mechanical engineering, electrical engineering or maths of which all are math intensive.
Unis i hope to get into are Imperial, Cambridge or UCL.
Original post by lyamlim97
I have contacted other schools which do offer it and asked if it would be possible for me to sit as a private candidate but they all do not accept private candidates.
Is there anything i could do to help the fact that i have no way of doing further maths.
I plan to study either mechanical engineering, electrical engineering or maths of which all are math intensive.

Can you ask your school (head of maths) if you can sit the exams only?
Reply 2
Original post by gagafacea1
Can you ask your school (head of maths) if you can sit the exams only?

I have asked a teacher from the exam section of my school as she is my physics teacher. She says that it is very unlikely the school would allow me to sit for the exams as they have not taught me the subject.
Reply 3

http://www.furthermaths.org.uk
Reply 4
I have asked a teacher from the exam section of my school as she is my physics teacher. She says that it is very unlikely the school would allow me to sit for the exams as they have not taught me the subject.

Study the stuff on your own, be prepared, and then go tell her to give you a mock exam, you should get a high mark to prove that you can do it on your own. That's what my sister and I did.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by gagafacea1
Study the stuff on your own, be prepared, and then go tell her to give you a mock exam, you should get a high mark to prove that you can do it on your own. That's what my sister and I did.

How long did you and your sister take to do it? I am doing CIE which means that i only sit for 2 papers for my entire A-level Further Maths. There is no AS. If i screw it up and not get an A. What are the chances of me getting into the unis that i want?
How long did you and your sister take to do it? I am doing CIE which means that i only sit for 2 papers for my entire A-level Further Maths. There is no AS. If i screw it up and not get an A. What are the chances of me getting into the unis that i want?

Oh I don't know about that, we do edexcel here, and it's six exams for a full A level. It really depends on you, that's why you should start studying and see how you get on. So don't try to compare yourself to others in these kinds of things.

Quick Reply

Latest