The Student Room Group

A level options (For Compsci)

I am currently a student in yr11 and soon I will be needing to pick my A-level options. I want to pursue a degree in computer science but which A-levels should i take? I am definitely taking maths/physics. However I am stuck between chemistry and computer science.

I want to aim for a Russel Group, where they value the more ‘academic’ subjects such as chemistry. However at the same time, jobs in computer science and programming hire the more skilled individuals; is it better to do computer science at A-level instead? So I can get a head start for university.
Original post by fallxcy
I am currently a student in yr11 and soon I will be needing to pick my A-level options. I want to pursue a degree in computer science but which A-levels should i take? I am definitely taking maths/physics. However I am stuck between chemistry and computer science.

I want to aim for a Russel Group, where they value the more ‘academic’ subjects such as chemistry. However at the same time, jobs in computer science and programming hire the more skilled individuals; is it better to do computer science at A-level instead? So I can get a head start for university.

Computer science is considered academic. In fact, unis like Nottingham (Russell Group) don't necessarily require A Level Maths, but consider Physics or Computer Science as suitable substitutes for Maths.

Maths + any 2 other subjects would pretty much open you to any computer science degree in the country. If you only had physics or computer science + 2 other subjects, you can do about 1/2 - 1/3 of the unis that offer computer science out there.
If you have all 3, you won't have issues with subject requirements for any computer science degree.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 2
Many of the ‘higher ranking’ Russel group unis would prefer you have maths and Further maths. However if you’re weaker in maths or dislike it don’t take it. Computer science is still academic, Chemistry would open you up for more pathways in case you decided not to do computing. But overall your third can be whatever you want which you’ll enjoy and fo well in
Reply 3
Yep I agree, definitely FM, Maths and Physics are valuable to top unis. Computer Science if you feel like it as a fourth but not really necessary - maths is more important to them at this stage
Reply 4
I'm taking Maths, Computer Science, and Film Studies and I have offers from Russel Group universities.

If I wanted to apply to Oxbridge I wouldn't be taking Film Studies and would've picked a more respected subject. You'll be fine either way.
Original post by fallxcy

Hi!

For a lot of universities a maths A-level is really the main requirement. However, if you want to make your application more competitive for those top top universities further maths is a great additional although it is extremely hard - I personally didn't take it as trying to get through the maths A-level was enough stress for me. I'd recommend taking computer science if you have space for it as it fun and a good break from other A-levels and it also gives you a little head start when you get to university.

You can definitely do a Computer Science degree without taking A-level comp sci however I found it really made first year a lot easier for me as we were covering topics that I already knew some things about.

If your still feeling a little unsure I'd recommend just searching up universities and see what they're requirements are. As some people have said above, some unis do require comp sci (or give you lower grades needed from other subjects if you have comp sci - which is very nice) so if you have some universities in mind that you like the look of already it'd be good to check that you'll have the option of applying there.

Good luck with your A-levels! I'm sure it'll all go great 🙂

- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)
Reply 6
Original post by fallxcy

Is your end goal academia or the world of work? If the former, then stay academic. If the later, then it is skills and knowledge that count, not the ability to write a thesis with correct referencing. There is a general obsession with Russel Group universities amongst young people especially those going into tech. They think that prestige is a benefit when applying for jobs but the truth is completely different. Employers don't care where you went, they only care about what you can do and what you know. You are selling your skills, knowledge and time in return for a salary. If a Russel Group uni doesn't deliver that (many don't) then you are effectively unemployable. So focus on skills.

And just for reference the Russel Group was founded when an arbitrary group of university VCs happened to meet up in a bar in Russel Square in London. Ever since, their respective marketing departments have been successfully hoodwinking under grads into thinking that Russel Group means something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending