The Student Room Group

My personal statement is messy but good, are my chances ruined for Computer Science

Recently, I have been seeing online that most people applying for the computer science courses at UCL, King's and Bath have 5 A*'s and amazing personal statements. I really want to know if I should substitute these for other universities, and if so which ones should I substitute and for what?

I have 2 A*'s (Math and CS) and A (economics). I am an international student which I have heard is a factor as well.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by ChildshDXB
Recently, I have been seeing online that most people applying for the computer science courses at UCL, King's and Bath have 5 A*'s and amazing personal statements. I really want to know if I should substitute these for other universities, and if so which ones should I substitute and for what?

I have 2 A*'s (Math and CS) and A (economics). I am an international student which I have heard is a factor as well.

Don't believe everything you read on-line; seek-out facts.

For example, according to the Uni Guide (which uses data from HESA, the Higher Education Statistics Agency), the "Most popular A-Levels studied (and grade achieved)" for Computer Science at those three unis are:

UCL: "Mathematics A* | Physics A | Further Mathematics A" (source)
King's: "Mathematics A | Physics A | Computer Science A" (source)
Bath: "Mathematics A | Further Mathematics A | Computer Science A" (source)

If you want to apply to those three, then by all means do so. However, they are competitive, so you should ensure that your last two options are less so.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Don't believe everything you read on-line; seek-out facts.

For example, according to the Uni Guide (which uses data from HESA, the Higher Education Statistics Agency), the "Most popular A-Levels studied (and grade achieved)" for Computer Science at those three unis are:

UCL: "Mathematics A* | Physics A | Further Mathematics A" (source)
King's: "Mathematics A | Physics A | Computer Science A" (source)
Bath: "Mathematics A | Further Mathematics A | Computer Science A" (source)

If you want to apply to those three, then by all means do so. However, they are competitive, so you should ensure that your last two options are less so.

That's a relief. I really now wish that I did Further Maths though, it really seems like they love students that do it.
If you want an alternative then Southampton is better than all 3 of those for computer science but is generally less competitive because people don’t know where it is (or look at the overall university reputation instead of the details for CS)
Reply 4
Original post by ChildshDXB

When did you apply?You only have 14 days to change your mind.
Reply 5
Original post by Scotney
When did you apply?You only have 14 days to change your mind.

January 5th
Reply 6
How is it messy?
Reply 7
One of the paragraphs I list things instead of go into detail about it. Also, I don't know if this is bad, but in the conclusion I talk abt CS and business and how I beieve the course will excel me in both fields, forgetting to mention that I want to take a masters in finance and such

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending