The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

2 weeks off for Christmas, 2 Weeks for Easter why not 2 weeks off for Eid.
I think it could help, who doesn't want a day off work?
No, England is(currently) a Christian country, which means they don't have to offer holidays for other religions.

Spoiler

The girls who follow Islam in my school (a CofE) aren't allowed to take a day off for Eid so have to pretend that they're ill for the day.
Reply 5
Muslims should be given a day off for Eid, but not it should not be made a national holiday............**** You !
Original post by eoe
Muslims should be given a day off for Eid, but not it should not be made a national holiday............**** You !

This is the way it should be.
Yes :awesome:
A day off for Eid sounds great :yep:
(edited 8 years ago)
no way
No. This is a Christian nation. Many of us do not identify as religious at all but it is a Christian nation nonetheless. That is part of our cultural heritage and our national identity. In the interests of preserving that we should not include other religions in public religious observances.

'We must exclude someone from our gathering, or we shall we left with nothing'
In my secondary school i didnt have to go in cause it was Eid
Probs cause the school was 80% Asian/Muslim
Original post by Mayhem™
No, England is(currently) a Christian country, which means they don't have to offer holidays for other religions.

Spoiler

Yes! Dubai is a muslim country, yet every christmas they have christmas lights and christmas tress decorated in very mall. Plus they spent 11 million dollars just on a tree..
Why shouldn't England do the same for other religions
Never taken a day off for Eid, be it school or uni - don't see the need for a public holiday.
Original post by a noble chance
No. This is a Christian nation. Many of us do not identify as religious at all but it is a Christian nation nonetheless. That is part of our cultural heritage and our national identity. In the interests of preserving that we should not include other religions in public religious observances.

'We must exclude someone from our gathering, or we shall we left with nothing'

Original post by Mayhem™

Spoiler

Britain is not a Christian country.
Anything that shifts us one step closer to being a non-British Britain is bad. Sure, we respect your holidays and your culture :smile: but please respect the rules of our society where possible instead of trying to change them; thanks.
People will just be like

"It's great that we're getting an extra day off, but I still think (insert islamophobic comment here)".

As such I don't see how it would combat islamophobia :confused:
Just the idea of this makes me feel sick.
Im Muslim but I respect the fact this is a christian country and well we can't really ask for something such as this....

At my secondary school all the Muslims were allowed to have a day off , surely we should be thankful for this. :smile:
Original post by eoe

I'm gonna change religions multiple times yearly

Gotta have

Christmas off

Easter

Hunnakah

Yom Kippur

Rosh Hashanah

Eid (probs take off all of Ramadan :yy:)

Maybe some of those BS Saints days the Catholics worship

brb never go to work

Obviously I'm being sarcastic, religion should not recognised by the state in any form, take the cross of the flag of this nation, ban all faith schools, kick the Bishops out of the house of Lords, abolish the monarchy and generally get rid of anything which can't justify itself.
A great way to combat Islamophobia is to stop pretending that it's a useful word to describe whatever it is that you're trying to describe.

[video="youtube;lEeauLCOeXQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEeauLCOeXQ[/video]

Latest