The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

PhD student annual leave/ holiday at KCL

Hi there, apologies if this is in the wrong place. I wondered if anyone is a current PhD student at KCL (particularly, IoPPN) and had an idea of how much annual leave/ holiday is allowed per year? I also wondered whether it is expected that leave is taken mainly during university holiday times (i.e around Christmas, Easter, summer), or whether it is treated more like a regular 'job', where leave can be taken at any time if approved. I know there are different protocols on this at different unis, but haven't found much info for KCL. Many thanks for your help!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
I can't speak for the whole uni (I'm in NMS), but I've seen minimum 4 weeks up to 8 weeks (inclusive of public holidays).Also, supervisors shouldn't be "approving" holiday. They're your supervisors, not your managers. That's a red flag, since they have no right to be approving of when or where you work. Sometimes they need reminding of this.
(edited 4 years ago)
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by CoHoUK
I can't speak for the whole uni (I'm in NMS), but I've seen minimum 4 weeks up to 8 weeks (inclusive of public holidays).Also, supervisors shouldn't be "approving" holiday. They're your supervisors, not your managers. That's a red flag, since they have no right to be approving of when or where you work. Sometimes they need reminding of this.

Can you please ellaborate a bit, what means by inclusive of public holidays
Original post by Osama Mustafa
what means by inclusive of public holidays

Includes bank holidays - so you don't need to spend leave to take a bank holiday off usually, or if you wouldn't automatically be not working on a bank holiday, you get that day as part of your leave allowance. Generally speaking that is, can't comment specifically on how it works with PhDs.

Quick Reply

Latest