The Student Room Group

Nigerian army slaughters women and children in devastating attack

PLEASE SIGN THIS ON CHANGE.ORG:
https://www.change.org/p/united-nations-human-rights-commission-president-of-nigeria-muhammadu-buhari-500-nigerian-shia-muslims-have-been-massacred-by-the-nigerian-army-why-are-the-media-president-u-n-silent?recruiter=29014111&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

Nigerian military forces have killed several Shia Muslims who had gathered to attend a religious ceremony north of the country. The attack follows yesterday afternoon's violence in which soldiers opened fire at mourners attending a funeral in Zaria at Hussainiyyah Baqiyatullah.

The funeral was for Muslims killed yesterday in violence attributed to Boko Haram, but which many in the area claim has connections with elements of the military. Local media said on Saturday that at least 30 people were killed and injured after clashes erupted between the Nigerian army and unarmed Shia Muslims trying to protect Sheikh Zakzaky with their bodies in the city of Zaria, Kaduna State. Reports said soldiers opened fire on the people in Hussainiyyah Baqeeyatullah, a religious center belonging to the Shiite Islamic Movement of Nigeria.

The Shias had reportedly stopped the convoy of the Nigeria’s Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Yusuf Buratai as the leader of the Shia movement in Nigeria, Sheikh Ibrahim Zakzaky, was planning a speech in the religious center. According to the eyewitnesses, the area was cordoned off with security forces reported to have a heavy presence there. Soldiers besieging the home of the leader of a Shiite movement accused of trying to assassinate Nigeria's army chief have shot and killed at least 12 people, the Islamic group said early Sunday, AP reported.

About 30 people have been wounded in the ongoing attack that began late Saturday in the city of Zaria in northern Nigeria and continued into early Sunday, Zeenah Ibrahim, the wife of the group's leader, told The Associated Press in a phone call interrupted by the sounds of gunfire. According to the eyewitnesses when some members of the movement met the soldiers to understand their mission of the soldiers was, they took position and opened fire indiscriminately, killed many and took away seven the casualty to an unknown location.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
[video="youtube;5Ae1AJE5akc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ae1AJE5akc[/video]
inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajioon :frown:

500 hundred is devasting, im signing the petition
i didn't know there was this level of secterian violence in Nigeria, wheres the media outrage over this, if the there was a military element then how do the Shi'as expect to keep safe in Nigeria, it's not like there is a Nigerian Shi'a resistance??? May Allah protect our brothers and sisters in Nigeria!!
(edited 8 years ago)
There are Shia Muslims in Nigeria? I never heard of that. Why would Nigerian army kill them for no reason?
Original post by iamthetruth
There are Shia Muslims in Nigeria? I never heard of that. Why would Nigerian army kill them for no reason?

Nigeria has one of the highest population of Shias in Africa I believe.
Original post by dniy-10
Nigeria has one of the highest population of Shias in Africa I believe.

They most probably give poor Africans food and ask them to convert to their religion
They most probably give poor Africans food and ask them to convert to their religion

I doubt this is how it happen, all I can find is wikipedia

''Shia Islam was "almost unknown" in Nigeria until the 1980s, when Ibraheem Zakzaky introduced Shia Islam. Zakzaky's gained a following among those disenchanted with the political and religious establishment''
Reply 7
A brutal brutal massacre.
Original post by Tawheed
A brutal brutal massacre.

Looking around this isn't even the first time it's happened in Nigeria, seems like an incident also happen with the army in 2014.
Reply 9

Politics. They don't want free thinking independent minds. And corruption is rife- any religious and democratic movement threatens corrupt establishments.
Reply 10
Original post by dniy-10
inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajioon :frown:

500 hundred is devasting, im signing the petition
i didn't know there was this level of secterian violence in Nigeria, wheres the media outrage over this, if the there was a military element then how do the Shi'as expect to keep safe in Nigeria, it's not like there is a Nigerian Shi'a resistance??? May Allah protect our brothers and sisters in Nigeria!!

Unfortunately, this was not done by sunni-vs shia, but by government soldiers. It's horrific.
Original post by Tawheed
Unfortunately, this was not done by sunni-vs shia, but by government soldiers. It's horrific.

why did they kill them for no reason??? may allah bring peace to our brothers and sisters in nigeria
Original post by dniy-10
why did they kill them for no reason??? may allah bring peace to our brothers and sisters in nigeria

From the Army's statement they said that the Shias were mounting an assault against their General.

There needs to be proper investigation into what really happened.
Typical Nigeria.
Seven people were killed on Saturday, during a firefight between the Nigerian Army and members of the Shi’a Muslim sect, in Zaria, Kaduna.The official Twitter account of the Nigerian Army says members of Ibrahim Zakzaky’s Shi’a Muslim group attempted to assassinate the Chief of Army Staff, Major General Tukur Buratai.Ibrahim El-Zakzaky is the leader of the Shi’a Islamic Movement center.The members of the sect and soldiers were said to have clashed following an attack on the convoy of the Army Chief.Meanwhile, the Shi’a members claim that the Nigerian Army stormed the Shi’a Islamic Movement center headquarters- Hussainia Baqeeyatullah- in the PZ area of Zaria and opened fire on many Muslim faithfuls.

Investigations looking into what really happened are still ongoing.
It's not fair to point fingers of blame without knowing what really happened. The army can't just start killing innocent civilians without there being severe consequences for whoever was in charge.
And some of these death tolls are over exaggerated.
Original post by Tawheed
Politics. They don't want free thinking independent minds. And corruption is rife- any religious and democratic movement threatens corrupt establishments.

Nigeria has no state religion.
This wasn't politically motivated at all. The president is Muslim himself. Why would he order for his own brethren to be killed by the military?
The federal government has nothing against Shia Muslims. Most Nigerians didn't even know there were Shias in the country
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by thunder_chunky
Typical Nigeria.

Wish I could say this isn't true :frown:
This kind of violence only happens in the (Muslim) north of the country.
Says a lot about the religion of Islam.

The south is relatively peaceful. Hopefully the country will split up. The north is just a dead weight dragging the country behind in terms of development.
Oh great here comes another wave of asylum seekers
Reply 19
Original post by Tawheed

This is severely untrue. Though there is corruption, there is no discrimination against religion in Nigeria. There is no state religion and in fact religion is encouraged. This has nothing to do with politics. However I do agree more investigation has to be done to find out what really happened. It is a terrible incident
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending