The Student Room Group

LASIK and Transferring within the British Armed Forces

Can you have a laser eye surgery when you are serving in the British Army? If so, what job roles that doesn’t allow LASIK?
Can you transfer to another service (From British Army to the Royal Navy)? If so, would there be limited spaces when transferring, long waiting list or anything like that?

Recently, I have been made PMU’d because I failed my eye test when I reached my medical triage call during the Royal Marines application process. I was extremely devastated because I have been driven to join for years and worked extremely hard for it as well such as fitness preparations and improving who I am as a person. I wasn’t sure what I was going to do but now I have found out that you can have laser eye surgery, wait a certain amount of time and reapply at 22 years of age as part of JSP950.

I am currently 17 years old and nearly finished my second year at college. However, I don’t know what I was going to do for 4 years. I knew if I go uni, I wouldn’t know what course to study and if I go in without a clear end goal, I would most likely to drop out. I have always wanted to join the military and be a soldier from young age. So I was thinking to join the British Army as an infantry (or other roles if I decided to change plans), have my eye surgery while serving and transferring over to the Royal Marines commando (I don’t think I will do the AACC course). Even if there’s a tiny chance of getting to start basic training at CTCRM, I will still go for it even it most likely to be unsuccessful. Is this realistic and possible?

I might not consider joining the paratroopers as I don’t fancy jumping out a plane. However I might change my mind. I don’t think I want to do the AACC because I wanted to become a royal marine commando even if I start from the basics all over again. I might keep looking at different uni courses so I don't have go in the military to fulfil those 4 years. If I know i won't ever make it into the Royal Marines, at least i satisfy my personal interests of being a soldier within the forces.

Any advice would be helpful.
Reply 1
I don't know the specific eyesight requirements for the Royal Marines or if any roles restrict the use of LASIK.

However, all the Armed Forces work to the same basic medical standards, so you may not pass to join the Army. If you did get in, would you be happy doing a job you didn't want for several years? And whilst you can have surgery whilst serving, there are various caveats around it and any issues could result in a medical discharge.

Quick Reply

Latest