The Student Room Group

Do you notice or ignore stickies?

Poll

When it comes to stickies, do you...

So for those of you who don't know 'stickies' are the threads that appear at the top of some forums in a pale orange, and they are essentially glued there so they don't move down the page.

I have my own opinion about stickies but I want to know what you guys think...

Do you notice stickies when you go into a forum?

Do you ignore stickies/ are they invisible to you?

Or do you see them but skip them as they seem old?

Vote on the poll and leave your feedback below!

Scroll to see replies

they are invisible to me. Only when I am looking for specific information regarding technicalities or processes on TSR
Judging by the thankful responses I get when I post a link to a sticky in answer to a question which has been asked many times before, many people simply do not see them. I think the colour is far too subtle, tbh. If I weren't part of the furniture here, I know I wouldn't see them.
Reply 3
I generally ignore them or don't even notice them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Judging by the thankful responses I get when I post a link to a sticky in answer to a question which has been asked many times before, many people simply do not see them. I think the colour is far too subtle, tbh. If I weren't part of the furniture here, I know I wouldn't see them.

Personally I have to agree and there have been times when I have spent ages looking for a thread only to find it has been stickied so I have skipped past it! I thought it might just be my shockingly bad eyesight though :tongue:
I tend to ignore them. They don't stick out enough for me. I know they're there; but they just don't stick out enough. Might be different if they were a darker and more eye catching colour.
I ignore them.
I never look at them in all honesty. A lot of the time I don't even notice that they're there, as the font size is the same as all the other threads and they don't really stand out all that much anyway :redface:
Because I know they're there, and that's what they look like, I look at them!
(edited 8 years ago)
Personally whilst I see the colours, I find that they don't stand out enough for me. Regarding the old forum design before this one, because stickies were in bold it made it a lot easier to notice especially when you were on a phone. Now I find that colouring stickies does make the content stand out a lot more tbh.
I notice them. For those saying they don't, ways to improve it to make them stand out more?

There are some really helpful stickies in the edu forums, concerned if people don't notice them. :tongue:
Original post by Black Rose
I notice them. For those saying they don't, ways to improve it to make them stand out more?

There are some really helpful stickies in the edu forums, concerned if people don't notice them. :tongue:

Me, too. :frown:
When I first go into the maths forum for example, I have to scroll down the page before I see the first sticky. It should be one of the first things I see though imo.
Original post by Black Rose

I think for me, it's just the colour. You need to have something that's more eye-catching.
I stickied a couple of new threads in the Oxford forum on results day and nobody posted on them until they were linked in the main applicants thread so I don't think people pay a huge amount of attention. I'm not even sure if it's the colour that's the issue, if you've got a section that you frequent, the stickies are always the same so I think they just blur out...
They were far more effective when there was freedom regarding bolding and colouring sticky titles. Not having them bold is the crux of the issue, I'd say.
(edited 8 years ago)
When I visit a forum I do notice them, but most of the time I click on whatever pops up on the side.
Original post by Champagne Supernova
They were far more effective when there was freedom regarding bolding and colouring sticky titles. Not having them bold is key, I'd say.

Agreed
It's the pale peach background. I think they'd be more noticeable if they were the darker orange.
I always notice them, but I think I'm in the minority there. The orange thread titles definitely stand out less than the blue of normal threads. It's very annoying when sticky threads contain a lot of useful information, but are ignored so people post the same basic questions over and over again. I'd support making sticky thread titles bold and a different colour. I'm less fussed about the pale orange background, but again that would stand out more too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending