The Student Room Group

MPs debate replacing the national anthem

Poll

What should replace God Save The Queen as England's sporting anthem?

The Guardian
MPs are to debate whether to drop God Save The Queen as England’s anthem at major sporting events and replace it with the country’s own official national anthem.

Toby Perkins, the Labour MP for Chesterfield, believes England should follow Wales and Scotland in using their own anthem before events, with his bill to be debated on Wednesday.

Previous polls have made Jerusalem the favourite for an England-specific anthem with David Cameron reportedly among those in favour. Other options including Land of Hope and Glory, I Vow To Thee My Country, and Swing Low Sweet Chariot.

Full story

Should England replace the God Save The Queen with a different anthem? What would you choose? If it were to happen, I think I'd lean towards Swing Low, just for its simplicity.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Given England's recent performances in football and rugby, I suggest the English anthem should be The Benny Hill Theme.
(edited 8 years ago)
Jerusalem - Mentions God has a go at the north
Land of hope and glory - mentions God and the empire
I Vow to Thee, My Country - possible but perhaps a little un PC given the number of people who country this isn't
Swing Low, Sweet Chariot - not English and too much about god
God Save The Queen - Mentions god but at least it has tradition behind it so this gets my vote
I think 'Rule Britannia' could be good. It's already an iconic song and is much more upbeat compared to the rather drab 'God Save the Queen'. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Skip to 4min

[video="youtube;SMNX11y0dVo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMNX11y0dVo[/video]
(edited 8 years ago)
The lyrics for God save the Queen are so dull and it's a pretty crap anthem. Not only does every single line mention the Queen, but it glorifies an undemocratic and outdated political system that is not fit for the modern world...
Why miss out Rule Britannia, the obvious choice?
Original post by KaptainCliff
I think 'Rule Britannia' could be good. It's already an iconic song and is much more upbeat compared to the rather drab 'God Save the Queen'. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

the first line is

'When Britain first, at Heaven's command'

Given this will be the English national anthem I think this is why it hasn't been selected
Original post by Good bloke
Why miss out Rule Britannia, the obvious choice?

'When Britain first, at Heaven's command'
Reply 9
About time england had an anthem
It should stay as God Save the Queen, but the Sex Pistols version instead.

The current anthem is just encouraging a deity hardly anyone believes in anymore to save a woman who has the greatest healthcare money can buy.

We should sing it sarcastically.
(edited 8 years ago)
Then I propose a wordless anthem - either the Dambusters theme or the theme to The Great Escape. Either is suitable for a sporting occasion and the whole stadium can hum them enthusiastically.
cant we have happy song rather than a romanticized militarised national myth one? The archers theme tune gets my vote.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wNEawM6vZf4

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/video/2015/jul/01/england-national-anthem-video
(edited 8 years ago)
Obviously I Vow To Thee My Country. Massive tune.
How about nothing that mentions God.
How about....

Two world wars and one world cup. :biggrin:
I thought white people "weren't allowed" to sing Swing Low, Sweet Chariot". Tumblr would explode.

Original post by KaptainCliff

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree :biggrin:
Original post by Skip_Snip
I thought white people "weren't allowed" to sing Swing Low, Sweet Chariot". Tumblr would explode.

Tumblr obviously doesn't watch any England rugby union matches. It is the de facto anthem of English rugby.
Monty Python's Always look on the bright side of life

[video="youtube;jHPOzQzk9Qo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo[/video]
Rule Britannia! It's up beat and just kind of fun, it's a national that you actually want to sing. Plus it is brilliantly pompous, as are we as a nation so it's fitting

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending