The Student Room Group

Private candidate taking A Levels

I'm retaking Psychology

I want to do computer science or something business-related at University.

But this would require me to do Maths which I didnt do in my 2 years of Sixth Form

I did IT and Applied Science both are BTEC's so I can't resit them, I did alright in Applied Science so I can carry those grades over to my new uni application

I need one more subject to sit preferably one that I can learn and get an A in the next 9 months
Original post by Entrepreneur.
I'm retaking Psychology

I want to do computer science or something business-related at University.

But this would require me to do Maths which I didnt do in my 2 years of Sixth Form

I did IT and Applied Science both are BTEC's so I can't resit them, I did alright in Applied Science so I can carry those grades over to my new uni application

I need one more subject to sit preferably one that I can learn and get an A in the next 9 months

Whilst it would be correct to say that most Computer Science degrees have a requirement for Maths A level, that don't all have such a requirement.

Your phrase "something business-related" is a tad vague, but I'm not sure where you got the impression that A level Maths was required for such a course. It is not generally required for Business Management, if that's the sort of course you mean.

The two BTECs you have (in IT and Applied Science) - are they BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificates? If your overall grades were impacted by poor exam performance (rather than poor coursework performance), then you can absolutely resit the exams. See the resit rules here:

"Resit Rules for BTEC Nationals:
Learners are permitted to resit the external assessment twice. This equates to THREE attempts in total - one inclusive of registration, the remaining two attempts as re-sits."

I'm not sure what you mean by "so I can carry those grades over to my new uni application". You are required to enter all your qualifications from secondary education onward on your UCAS form. You don't get to pick and choose. So you will need to list both BTECs. (You will also need to list the original Psychology grade, as well as then adding Psychology a second time with a grade of "Pending").

Right now, it sounds like you have the equivalent of three A levels:
A Level in Psychology (which you're currently re-taking)
BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in IT
BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Applied Science

What benefit to you expect to gain form taking a 4th A level-equivalent?

Finally, you mention "my new uni application". Does this mean that you applied last year, but didn't manage to secure a place? What are your target universities this time around?
Original post by DataVenia
Whilst it would be correct to say that most Computer Science degrees have a requirement for Maths A level, that don't all have such a requirement.

Your phrase "something business-related" is a tad vague, but I'm not sure where you got the impression that A level Maths was required for such a course. It is not generally required for Business Management, if that's the sort of course you mean.

The two BTECs you have (in IT and Applied Science) - are they BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificates? If your overall grades were impacted by poor exam performance (rather than poor coursework performance), then you can absolutely resit the exams. See the resit rules here:

"Resit Rules for BTEC Nationals:
Learners are permitted to resit the external assessment twice. This equates to THREE attempts in total - one inclusive of registration, the remaining two attempts as re-sits."

I'm not sure what you mean by "so I can carry those grades over to my new uni application". You are required to enter all your qualifications from secondary education onward on your UCAS form. You don't get to pick and choose. So you will need to list both BTECs. (You will also need to list the original Psychology grade, as well as then adding Psychology a second time with a grade of "Pending").

Right now, it sounds like you have the equivalent of three A levels:
A Level in Psychology (which you're currently re-taking)
BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in IT
BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Applied Science

What benefit to you expect to gain form taking a 4th A level-equivalent?

Finally, you mention "my new uni application". Does this mean that you applied last year, but didn't manage to secure a place? What are your target universities this time around?

Yes I resit both IT and Applied Science while at sixth form but It doesn't seem to be something I can resit privately at an exam centre

Like I said I cant improve my IT grades and i'm happy with Applied Science so my 4th a level would "replacement" for IT

I did get into University not one I was fond off now I want to attempt to get into a russel group
Yes I resit both IT and Applied Science while at sixth form but It doesn't seem to be something I can resit privately at an exam centre

Like I said I cant improve my IT grades and i'm happy with Applied Science so my 4th a level would "replacement" for IT

I did get into University not one I was fond off now I want to attempt to get into a russel group

Understood. So let's ignore the BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in IT, given the poor grade and the fact that you're seeking to replace it with an A level.

I think we should rule out a Computer Science degree as:
Your grade would suggest a lack of affinity for the subject.
You are required to enter that grade on your UCAS application, which may well make unis nervous about your IT / Computer Science abilities.
Most Computer Science courses want a Maths A level.

So we're looking for an A level to compliment your A Level in Psychology (which you're currently re-taking) and your BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Applied Science, targeting "something business-related at University" but where you "can learn and get an A in the next 9 months". Many business courses at university don't have any particular subject requirements. We should therefore ignore trying to pick a subject on that basis, and should instead focus on one where you "can learn and get an A in the next 9 months".

What was your strongest subject at GCSE?

The subject you might find easiest to learn is likely to be specific to you. Across all subjects, 26.5% of all A level grades were at grade A or above in 2023, so subjects above that might be classed as "easier than average". Oddly Maths and Further Maths stand out (at 41% and 58.1% grade A or above, respectively), as do modern foreign languages (French: 37.6%, German: 44.4% and Spanish: 35.0%, or even classical subjects (like Classical Civilisation) at 35.3% at grade A or above. Would you say that you have an affinity for any of these?
Original post by DataVenia
Understood. So let's ignore the BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in IT, given the poor grade and the fact that you're seeking to replace it with an A level.

I think we should rule out a Computer Science degree as:
Your grade would suggest a lack of affinity for the subject.
You are required to enter that grade on your UCAS application, which may well make unis nervous about your IT / Computer Science abilities.
Most Computer Science courses want a Maths A level.

So we're looking for an A level to compliment your A Level in Psychology (which you're currently re-taking) and your BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Applied Science, targeting "something business-related at University" but where you "can learn and get an A in the next 9 months". Many business courses at university don't have any particular subject requirements. We should therefore ignore trying to pick a subject on that basis, and should instead focus on one where you "can learn and get an A in the next 9 months".

What was your strongest subject at GCSE?

The subject you might find easiest to learn is likely to be specific to you. Across all subjects, 26.5% of all A level grades were at grade A or above in 2023, so subjects above that might be classed as "easier than average". Oddly Maths and Further Maths stand out (at 41% and 58.1% grade A or above, respectively), as do modern foreign languages (French: 37.6%, German: 44.4% and Spanish: 35.0%, or even classical subjects (like Classical Civilisation) at 35.3% at grade A or above. Would you say that you have an affinity for any of these?

I did french at GCSE and got a 5 i thought about picking up A Level maths I got a 6 in maths at GCSE but idk if I could get an A in 9 months.

So it really comes down to Maths and French
I did french at GCSE and got a 5 i thought about picking up A Level maths I got a 6 in maths at GCSE but idk if I could get an A in 9 months.

So it really comes down to Maths and French

The diagram at the top of page 7 in this document shows that statistically only about 5% of of students who achieved grade B/6 at GCSE go on to achieve grade A (or above) at A level. So you probably need to be realistic about the likelihood of a grade A in Maths at A level. A grade B or C is much more likely. And that's assuming you'd be doing Maths across the normal 2-year time-frame, rather than in just 9 months. :eek:

You could theoretically try doing a subject you've never done before and discover that you're fantastic at it; but equally you could find that it's not really suited to you at all.

Rather than targeting a particular grade, I think you should probably just pick you best subject at GCSE. Is that was Maths (grade 6) then do Maths. But be realistic. If you get a C after just 9 months, that would be very impressive.

Quick Reply

Latest