The Student Room Group

Where do I get the study materials from to learn A-levels at home?

I'm planning to take 5 A-levels (AS and A2s) as a private candidate - I'm going to study at home and then take the exams at an exam centre.

None of the A-levels have coursework.

Where would I get the study materials from?

And what is the best way to find a place that lets you take the exams (and only the exams)?

The A-levels are Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Business Studies, and Accounting.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by King Scorchy
I'm planning to take 5 A-levels (AS and A2s) as a private candidate - I'm going to study at home and then take the exams at an exam centre.

And what is the best way to find a place that lets you take the exams (and only the exams)?

What might these A-levels be? Then we can point you to some resources.
Can't help you much if we don't know what they are :P
Original post by zetamcfc
What might these A-levels be? Then we can point you to some resources.

Original post by XMaramena
Can't help you much if we don't know what they are :P

Edited the first post.

The subjects are Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Business Studies, and Accounting.
Edited the first post.

The subjects are Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Business Studies, and Accounting.

http://www.madasmaths.com/

Maths stuff here, you can also see ExamSolutions and KhanAcademy on youtube . The other subjects idk.
Go to WH Smith and have a look around.

Also, make sure you know what exam board you're going with for each, and have a look at their syllabus. Be aware that there were a lot of changes to a levels for this academic year.
Reply 6
The A-levels are Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Business Studies, and Accounting.

Decide on an exam board - Edexcel is the most popular for Maths, not every boards does Accounting.. Buy the text books, making sure they're for the specification you intend on taking (new spec from 2015 for Economics and Maths, it depends when you're taking the exams for the others). There is free stuff online, particularly for Maths, some people have already suggested websites and there is also http://mathswebsite.com/

Months before you want to take the exams (e.g. November) start looking for a centre - look on the exam board websites for advice to private candidates, look here for recommendations - and make sure you get it sorted well before the entry deadline of 21 February for the summer.
Reply 7
x

The CGP books are really good! :biggrin:

the usual m8

just google

examsolutions
ngoalby chem revise
alevelphysicsonline
technocrat notes
use cgp also
official textbook
remember to print specifications also and make sure ur confident on everything
Reply 9

search the internet
all there
Original post by zetamcfc
http://www.madasmaths.com/

Maths stuff here, you can also see ExamSolutions and KhanAcademy on youtube . The other subjects idk.

Thanks - added to my list!

Go to WH Smith and have a look around.

Also, make sure you know what exam board you're going with for each, and have a look at their syllabus. Be aware that there were a lot of changes to a levels for this academic year.

Thanks for the info, will do. I'll make sure everything works taking into account the changes to A-levels.

Original post by Compost
Decide on an exam board - Edexcel is the most popular for Maths, not every boards does Accounting.. Buy the text books, making sure they're for the specification you intend on taking (new spec from 2015 for Economics and Maths, it depends when you're taking the exams for the others). There is free stuff online, particularly for Maths, some people have already suggested websites and there is also http://mathswebsite.com/

Months before you want to take the exams (e.g. November) start looking for a centre - look on the exam board websites for advice to private candidates, look here for recommendations - and make sure you get it sorted well before the entry deadline of 21 February for the summer.

Will do! It will be written on my calendar, in my planner, and I'll keep its love in my heart, burning until then. I'll make sure Economics and Maths is up to date, as well as everything else.

Original post by Ribenas
The CGP books are really good! :biggrin:

I may be reading them!

Original post by theuglyfish
the usual m8

just google

examsolutions
ngoalby chem revise
alevelphysicsonline
technocrat notes
use cgp also
official textbook
remember to print specifications also and make sure ur confident on everything

Oh I will! Thanks.

Original post by TeeEm
search the internet
all there

What is the internet?
AQA do accounting.

CGP is always a good investment! :h:
Reply 13

What exam boards are they? If maths and FM are edexcel, then the Heinemann text books cover everything you need. For the others, buy the textbooks and revision guides. My teachers usually get their material off the internet anyway, so you shouldn't be stuck on finding it all. Perhaps the disadvantage is that you just won't have a teacher to help you with the things you get stuck on, but good luck anyway,
Reply 14

TES, GetRevising, TSR, Physics and Maths Tutor (has everything for all the sciences and economics). You can simply type in the topic you are studying on Google followed by .pdf and you'll get many useful documents (although most will be university stuff, but the rest are useful ) :tongue:
AQA do accounting.

I may do that!

Original post by Ribenas
CGP is always a good investment! :h:

I'm just starting out and I hear that Heinemann is good as well - I imagine you take one or the other (not both). If not, I'll get CGP textbooks as well! Maybe it helps to do both?

Original post by MJS107
What exam boards are they? If maths and FM are edexcel, then the Heinemann text books cover everything you need. For the others, buy the textbooks and revision guides. My teachers usually get their material off the internet anyway, so you shouldn't be stuck on finding it all. Perhaps the disadvantage is that you just won't have a teacher to help you with the things you get stuck on, but good luck anyway,

Edexcel and AQA do all of them I believe. Either way, I'll take whichever I need to. Yeah, I can always find the answers online - the lack of a teacher is no problem! And yeah - you may just be wasting money on teachers - when all they're doing is what you could easily do yourself.

Original post by kkboyk
TES, GetRevising, TSR, Physics and Maths Tutor (has everything for all the sciences and economics). You can simply type in the topic you are studying on Google followed by .pdf and you'll get many useful documents (although most will be university stuff, but the rest are useful ) :tongue:

Thanks a lot, I will check these out!

Quick Reply

Latest