The Student Room Group

How do you study best?

Hey Everyone,

Exams, coursework…uni can be nerve-wracking at the best of times. Understanding your learning style, finding the right environment, and utilising study techniques help you get the most out of your study sessions. However, all the revision resources in the world are ineffective if you don’t take care of yourself. Be sure to stay hydrated and eat well your wellbeing will thank you later!

That’s our advice! What’s your number one study tip? Let us know.
Original post by StudentRoost Rep
Hey Everyone,

Exams, coursework…uni can be nerve-wracking at the best of times. Understanding your learning style, finding the right environment, and utilising study techniques help you get the most out of your study sessions. However, all the revision resources in the world are ineffective if you don’t take care of yourself. Be sure to stay hydrated and eat well your wellbeing will thank you later!

Hi there,

Thank you for raising such important topic as best studying techniques! I found this knowledge very essential during my first year at university, and now I can share some of my personal lifehacks with other people :smile:

Firstly, I prefer to study in the library, if I understand that the task requires a lot of concentration. There are just too many distractions at home, and the atmosphere in the library is always pushing me to do my best when I see that other people are learning something as well.

Secondly, it may sound like a common sense, but NEVER leave assignments until the deadline. It is so importnat to have healthy working habits. Doing everything on time and gradually may benefit you a lot. If you build a habit of doing assignments early, you will realise how much easier the life can be.

Thirdly, do a lot of self-study. See university more like a guide book, rather than a complete instruction. Most of the time lecturers do not cover material in depth, and that is the work student is usually supposed to do by doing additional learning (which is usually provided by lecturers themselves), engaging in out-of-classroom activities, etc.

So, this is the list of my 3 main study habits. Please, let me know if you have any questions :smile:

Ilya
Hey Everyone,

Hi there,

What a great question! Finding the right study technique for you can be challenging and time-consuming, so hearing what works for other people can be extremely useful! Here are some things that I do to study best:

I think it is essential to keep a planner/calendar. This keeps me on-track to start and complete each assignment in good time, while also having time leftover to enjoy and take care of myself. Just like you've said, looking after your well-being is key and keeping track of my time allows me to balance everything effectively!

I have found for me that repetition is one of the best ways to study for an exam, so this is my go-to. I read, speak, and write the material until I feel confident enough, and then from here I find it useful to teach another person. There are so many ways to study certain material or for different assignments, so it took me a while to find what works for me, but I can absolutely see the difference in my grades!

Lastly, I think it is important to find where you work best. For me, this would likely be my room, but sometimes I can focus well in a public library setting. For others, they have to go to the university library, a cafe, or another public place to concentrate.

Best of luck this term,

Isabella 🙂
Third-Year Geography with a Year Abroad Student
Hey Everyone,

Hey @StudentRoost Rep :smile:

I have a study tip that I used throughout high school and sixth form that I wanted to share, so I'd record myself speaking and going through notes and reading material, then I would listen to it when I was walking to school/college or on the bus etc instead of wasting that time scrolling on my phone I was putting it to good use. I was also able to revise then without having all my text books out whilst I was travelling to and from education which made it a lot easier.

Becky
Reply 4
Amazed to see 'learning styles' being pushed despite their being repeatedly debunked and shown as nonsense by pretty much every mainstream study into them.

It is a harmful myth because young people cling to one 'style' and then base their learning around that style, at the expense of other, more efficient techniques.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending