The Student Room Group

How hard is it to achieve distinctions in an Access to HE course?

I will be doing the Access to HE course, which I have heard is quite intense and was wondering how attainable distinctions are?

I am familiar with essay writing but do not have much experience with the research aspect.

Also, does anyone have any experience with the distance learning centre and how was you experience completing a qualification through them?
(edited 8 months ago)
Not particularly difficult. Just use the TEA method and you should be OK. Being highly evaluative is the key while answering the question. Always make sure you have answered the question.
Original post by bxa_842
I will be doing the Access to HE course, which I have heard is quite intense and was wondering how attainable distinctions are?

I am familiar with essay writing but do not have much experience with the research aspect.

Also, does anyone have any experience with the distance learning centre and how was you experience completing a qualification through them?

Hi,

I completed a foundation year at uni instead of doing an access course but they are similar, you get a lot of support and they don't expect you know everything because that's what an access/foundation year is all about, getting you ready for university. I achieved high marks throughout, by making sure I read the assignment briefs well and I received excellent support from lecturers when I asked for help. They do feel intense but they are more than manageable, I continued to work part time throughout my whole course.

I have no experience with the distance learning centre i'm afriad.

Victoria
-Wrexham uni rep
Reply 3
I did an Access to HE in 2018 and I had already done A Levels and a BTEC so this definitely helped. I would say that the work itself (I did a Land based qualification which was biological science, animal science and horticulture) was not that difficult it's more time consuming because you will be doing a lot of different subjects and work. So basically your main challenge is trying to get a good grade in a small amount of time rather than getting a good grade because the work is difficult.

I got a lot of Distinctions but overall I got a Merit across the whole course but that's because the teacher running equine shafted the whole class and gave us all passes which was unfair. But anyway it is what it is.

When I got to university (I did a foundation degree in animal behaviour and welfare) I was part of the COVID generation of students. For year 2, I wasn't well so could only do half my work so I resat the work I had left over from home (so I didn't have to pay tuition) so I have some experience with distance learning. For me it wasn't a great experience because half the uni teachers left and didnt pass on any info about my circumstances so I kept getting emails that weren't relevant or asking me stuff about why I wasn't there. Then actually communicating with teachers was a nightmare because they couldn't be bothered because I wasn't actually in attendance (I'm probably projecting but it honestly felt they didn't see me as a priority because I wasn't paying for tuition) so that meant getting hold of my work was more difficult. But I have my degree so it worked out in the end (Even though I'm going back to uni to get a full bachelor's in a totally different subject lol).

If your uni is equipped to specifically deal with distance learning you should be fine but don't worry about chasing them up for stuff because that will be the main problem you face as a distance learner in my experience.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by LaFoll
I did an Access to HE in 2018 and I had already done A Levels and a BTEC so this definitely helped. I would say that the work itself (I did a Land based qualification which was biological science, animal science and horticulture) was not that difficult it's more time consuming because you will be doing a lot of different subjects and work. So basically your main challenge is trying to get a good grade in a small amount of time rather than getting a good grade because the work is difficult.

I got a lot of Distinctions but overall I got a Merit across the whole course but that's because the teacher running equine shafted the whole class and gave us all passes which was unfair. But anyway it is what it is.

When I got to university (I did a foundation degree in animal behaviour and welfare) I was part of the COVID generation of students. For year 2, I wasn't well so could only do half my work so I resat the work I had left over from home (so I didn't have to pay tuition) so I have some experience with distance learning. For me it wasn't a great experience because half the uni teachers left and didnt pass on any info about my circumstances so I kept getting emails that weren't relevant or asking me stuff about why I wasn't there. Then actually communicating with teachers was a nightmare because they couldn't be bothered because I wasn't actually in attendance (I'm probably projecting but it honestly felt they didn't see me as a priority because I wasn't paying for tuition) so that meant getting hold of my work was more difficult. But I have my degree so it worked out in the end (Even though I'm going back to uni to get a full bachelor's in a totally different subject lol).

If your uni is equipped to specifically deal with distance learning you should be fine but don't worry about chasing them up for stuff because that will be the main problem you face as a distance learner in my experience.

Super useful to know, thanks!
Reply 5
Hi there,

I've completed an access course ready to start uni in September, also with the Distance Learning Centre, having achieved all distinctions. Years ago when I was in education, I didn't do particularly well in school and certainly not in A Levels, so it was certainly a confidence boost having done well in this!

I would say the main factor for me, was how much time I allowed myself to complete the course, especially if you'll be working alongside it. Although you may not need it, I would advise giving yourself a year to do the course - they give you the option to choose your own start and end date, though the longer the better.

In terms of how easy it was - it really varies in terms of tutor how much support you receive. You receive a materials pack in each unit where you essentially self-teach by reading and testing yourself. You're then given an assessment, in which I was allowed to use the materials alongside. Then, depending on the subject assessment, you either essay write or provide shorter factual answers eg. biology.

Though the tutors are available for some support, I did often feel I was very much on my own. I would say if you're willing to work hard and put in a fair chunk of time, as well as feeling you'll be able to absorb or study information primarily through written materials without a class, then I'd say it's fairly achievable!

Just in case you're curious I did paramedicine, so this consisted of psychology, biology, and health and social care units.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by sjp33
Hi there,

I've completed an access course ready to start uni in September, also with the Distance Learning Centre, having achieved all distinctions. Years ago when I was in education, I didn't do particularly well in school and certainly not in A Levels, so it was certainly a confidence boost having done well in this!

I would say the main factor for me, was how much time I allowed myself to complete the course, especially if you'll be working alongside it. Although you may not need it, I would advise giving yourself a year to do the course - they give you the option to choose your own start and end date, though the longer the better.

In terms of how easy it was - it really varies in terms of tutor how much support you receive. You receive a materials pack in each unit where you essentially self-teach by reading and testing yourself. You're then given an assessment, in which I was allowed to use the materials alongside. Then, depending on the subject assessment, you either essay write or provide shorter factual answers eg. biology.

Though the tutors are available for some support, I did often feel I was very much on my own. I would say if you're willing to work hard and put in a fair chunk of time, as well as feeling you'll be able to absorb or study information primarily through written materials without a class, then I'd say it's fairly achievable!

Just in case you're curious I did paramedicine, so this consisted of psychology, biology, and health and social care units.

Hope this helps :smile:

That’s good to know, how did you find the Psychology units?
Reply 7
Original post by bxa_842
That’s good to know, how did you find the Psychology units?

Oddly, I found them slightly easier than the biology units! Although I've heard it's usually the other way around for most. If you have experience in essay writing you'll be absolutely fine in these. The materials are pretty good for these, but you do need to do some research online/textbooks etc for the assessments. You'll get the hang of this, I had no experience really prior haha.

I would also recommend joining their Facebook group once you've begun - it's really common for people to get stuck and ask for hints and advice, so it's super useful.
Reply 8
Original post by bxa_842

I did the Access to HE (Nursing and Midwifery) through Distance Learning Centre and achieved Distinctions in each assignment. I made sure that I asked for one-to-one phone tutorials or emailed my tutor if I needed clarification, and asked friends that are Registered Nurses to proof read my work and give me feedback.
I enjoyed the course and fully recommend the DLC Access to HE.
Original post by bxa_842

@bxa_842

Hi, I've taught on an Access to HE program for over 10 years so I can help. In terms of assignments, students are typically marked based on four grade descriptors (although this is changing to 3 in future). Most unit's you study will have grade descriptors that look a bit like this-

1. Understanding - this is where you demonstrate your knowledge. Typically for a merit a student explains ideas and concepts from the sessions well, a distinction is going above and beyond

2. Application - this is where you demonstrate the further reading you have engaged with (although this may be different in a module like maths). To get a distinction you have to show both Breadth and Depth of further reading, in other words quite a few reliable sources of information used well to add detail to your arguments. Statistical evidence is always good for the social sciences here. Referencing is critical for this, as is for the one below

5. Communication and Presentation - Typically things like quality of spelling, punctuation and grammar. Could be use of images if appropriate. Referencing is a big one here.

7. Quality - an overall summary grade of the work, it is not a comment on the amount of effort overall.

There are other grade descriptors that are more common in subjects such as engineering but that is not really my field.

If you stay focused, apply yourself, and pay close attention to feedback from tutors you will do great I am sure

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending