Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Van Mildert College Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by JD7
The whole science site is at the most 10 minutes from Van Mildert (I've made it in 7 minutes uphill in the evenings when the road is deserted). The only factor that will influence your time getting there is the PEOPLE. Oh my god, the people. South Road (the hill leading from hill colleges down to Science site) gets absolutely clogged in the 10-15 minutes before a lecture and the pavement on both sides is really narrow so if you're leaving it late to get there be prepared to push past people. Having said that, your lectures might not all be at the Law faculty as everyone gets spread out, you might even have some at Elvet. I don't think anyone (except maybe Chemistry) have all the lectures in their own department.

Wow! Thank you so much for the answer! I feel so excited about this college now :biggrin:
Can't wait to go there and enjoy it!
Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to visit it before the start of my course as I am from Eastern Europe and still need to take my exams :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by JD7
So envious there are so many of you on here heading to Van Mildert. Last year there was hardly anybody on TSR that had a place there! Anyway, I'm currently a fresher at VM and if you guys have any questions about the best college in Durham feel free to ask them. Sorry about no photos on the website, it's had a brand new sparkling revamp and they're still sorting out all the kinks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! What is the revamp like?
Reply 22
Original post by Bobkata
Wow! Thank you so much for the answer! I feel so excited about this college now :biggrin:
Can't wait to go there and enjoy it!
Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to visit it before the start of my course as I am from Eastern Europe and still need to take my exams :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem. Study hard and good luck in exams! It's an amazing college, especially on a day like today when the sun i shining. Don't worry too much, I was in the same position as you in that I couldn't visit it beforehand but I've loved it from the moment I turned up at the beginning of term and it hasn't disappointed since (except maybe brunch on the weekends but that's different haha)
Reply 23
Original post by phoebe_cottam
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! What is the revamp like?

Ah, I meant revamp of the website. The whole site has changed and there's now an online login which gives you access to a range of different features, such as signing up for formals or committees online, booking rooms around Mildert (music room, JCR, etc) and several other features that are not in use yet (checking post or ordering takeaway lunch).

Although they have been doing "renovations" outside Derwent block for quite a while now...

Any other questions I can help with? :smile:
Original post by JD7
Ah, I meant revamp of the website. The whole site has changed and there's now an online login which gives you access to a range of different features, such as signing up for formals or committees online, booking rooms around Mildert (music room, JCR, etc) and several other features that are not in use yet (checking post or ordering takeaway lunch).

Although they have been doing "renovations" outside Derwent block for quite a while now...

Any other questions I can help with? :smile:

Oh I get you now, could I ask what the bathroom facilities are like? I originally wanted ensuite but it seems unlikely I'll get it as majority are shared facilities. How many is toilet/shared between and are they decent quality?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Oh I get you now, could I ask what the bathroom facilities are like? I originally wanted ensuite but it seems unlikely I'll get it as majority are shared facilities. How many is toilet/shared between and are they decent quality?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Each block is different, so can't speak for them all. Most corridors have around 16 people, with around 4 showers per floor and 5-6 toilets. Some of the showers are in stalls, and others have their own little cubicle. For example on my floor, at the end of one corridor we have 3 toilets in one room in stalls like any other public bathroom, and a small kitchen (no stove) across from that. At the other end of the corridor there's a room with 3 shower stalls, and across from those is a room with its own toilet, and next to it is a shower in a cubicle with a toilet next to it. So 4 showers and 5 toilets.
I know in another block they don't have "shared" toilets and each toilet has its own little room. Our shower rooms are pretty cramped but other blocks have bigger rooms.

I've never had to and don't know anyone who's had to queue up to use a toilet or shower. Sometimes the toilets get clogged, or someone forgets to flush, or someone's had a wild night out and puked all over the bathroom floor... disgusting, but you usually just go somewhere else or to another floor, no biggie. The cleaners come around and clean 3 times a week so the mess will usually be gone in no time. The toilets in my friend's block got clogged once and flooded the carpet outside which was gross, but they just told the porters and the issue was resolved pretty quickly.
Reply 26

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Bottom line is, the facilities are okay and are kept in a clean condition, so don't worry about it. Just don't forget to bring flip flops for the showers and excuse the people who do sports and come back all muddy. After Holifest in Freshers Week is the only time I've seen the showers be a mess for more than a few days, with paint everywhere. They're usually clean and people leave their stuff out everywhere - soaps and shampoos, so it's not that bad).
Original post by JD7
Each block is different, so can't speak for them all. Most corridors have around 16 people, with around 4 showers per floor and 5-6 toilets. Some of the showers are in stalls, and others have their own little cubicle. For example on my floor, at the end of one corridor we have 3 toilets in one room in stalls like any other public bathroom, and a small kitchen (no stove) across from that. At the other end of the corridor there's a room with 3 shower stalls, and across from those is a room with its own toilet, and next to it is a shower in a cubicle with a toilet next to it. So 4 showers and 5 toilets.
I know in another block they don't have "shared" toilets and each toilet has its own little room. Our shower rooms are pretty cramped but other blocks have bigger rooms.

I've never had to and don't know anyone who's had to queue up to use a toilet or shower. Sometimes the toilets get clogged, or someone forgets to flush, or someone's had a wild night out and puked all over the bathroom floor... disgusting, but you usually just go somewhere else or to another floor, no biggie. The cleaners come around and clean 3 times a week so the mess will usually be gone in no time. The toilets in my friend's block got clogged once and flooded the carpet outside which was gross, but they just told the porters and the issue was resolved pretty quickly.

Thanks for all the info, i'll definitely be taking flip-flops now! One more question, since the showers are shared do you have all girls/ all boys blocks or is it mixed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Thanks for all the info, i'll definitely be taking flip-flops now! One more question, since the showers are shared do you have all girls/ all boys blocks or is it mixed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

All blocks and corridors, so showers and all facilities as well, are mixed. They mostly try to get an even ratio of boys and girls on each floor. Our floor was 8 boys and 8 girls exactly which was pretty neat.
Original post by JD7
All blocks and corridors, so showers and all facilities as well, are mixed. They mostly try to get an even ratio of boys and girls on each floor. Our floor was 8 boys and 8 girls exactly which was pretty neat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your help! Feel better about coming now I know what VM is like
Reply 30
rhtrthrth
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by swissinuk
I had a tour of VM this evening. Aesthetically it's not the best, but it has everything you need, and it was great seeing the students interacting there...

The dining hall is huge (it was dinner when I was there), and they have an "award winning bar", whatever that means..

The guy that gave me a tour said that most of his friends that actually applied for en-suite got it..but also that sharing bathrooms is no problem. You have about 16 people per corridor, and I think you have a few bathrooms and showers to share...so it comes to sharing a shower/toilet with 3 or 4 people.

Looks like it's great fun...can't wait!

If you or anyone else has questions about it, or Durham as i'm currently in the city...please ask (:

Thanks for the info! Since you're in Durham can I ask what is the social life like at VM and how do you apply for an ensuite room?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
rtzrthtrh
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm back home now, but i'll answer anyway. Social life looked great, it's one of the biggest colleges there (dining hall is massive, biggest of any UK uni). The bar looks good and drinks are cheap, students were everywhere.

If I remember correctly, then some time in summer, when we should already have firmed the Uni, we will be asked to apply for the type of room we want...i'm guessing we will get an email with a form to fill out. I also really want ensuite...

Oh brill, I looked at pictures of the bar and it seemed nice, going to try to get a job at the bar as well. Hopefully it's just us that want ensuite! There aren't a lot of ensuite rooms :/ what subject are you doing?
Reply 34
rthrthr
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah only students work at the bar, and it seems like it would be a cool job to do once in a while.

As I said before, the guy that gave me a tour said that most of his friends that applied for ensuite didn't have a problem...but let's see how true that is...

I'm doing combined honours in social sciences, how about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I like the idea of being able roll out of your bedroom and into work! Yeah maybe it changes year on year as to how many apply ensuite :/ nice, I'm doing law
just got allocated to Van Mildert!
Reply 37
Original post by nicole.kathy
just got allocated to Van Mildert!

Welcome to the club :biggrin: what are you studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi!
I've been allocated Van Mildert, so excited!
Studying Theology & Religion:smile:
Original post by MegClark8
Hi!
I've been allocated Van Mildert, so excited!
Studying Theology & Religion:smile:

Welcome! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest