The Student Room Group

Maths degree without further maths and physics?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Buses
Probably at lower down unis like Southampton, Manchester etc.

Are you stupid? Southampton and Manchester are both Russell Group universities and are always ranked in the top quarter of UK universities
Original post by yt7777
Are you stupid? Southampton and Manchester are both Russell Group universities and are always ranked in the top quarter of UK universities

They probably mean lower down than the top 5 unis ahaha. But yh Southampton and Manchester are both amazing unis!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Not having A level Physics would be a problem if you were to choose applied maths modules later on. Further maths is the key to success at easing the transition as some of the content is taught again.

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION
Universities requirements for a Maths degree:
- 'A' grade at A Level Maths (good)
- Further maths A level as part of your offer (very good)
- STEP 1/2/3 (elite)

TeeEm can shed some light on this. :smile:

totally agree
Reply 63
Original post by ameenatariq
i guess that i mind find it difficult or im not capable enough.

most maths applicants to the top unis will find a-level maths and further maths trivial. STEP is the real killer.
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Not having A level Physics would be a problem if you were to choose applied maths modules later on. Further maths is the key to success at easing the transition as some of the content is taught again.

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION
Universities requirements for a Maths degree:
- 'A' grade at A Level Maths (good)
- Further maths A level as part of your offer (very good)
- STEP 1/2/3 (elite)

TeeEm can shed some light on this. :smile:

what if you get A* in a level maths, but dont do further maths?
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
most maths applicants to the top unis will find a-level maths and further maths trivial. STEP is the real killer.

STEP should not be a killer. It does separate the decent from the very good but that's about it. The elite applicants get two S grades at STEP. But I agree that maths/further maths A level is a trivial exercise for top applicants.

I just want to echo what some others have said: if you think you'll find A Level Further Maths too difficult, why do you think you'll be able to cope with a university degree in Maths?
Reply 67
Original post by pvaz6965
STEP should not be a killer. It does separate the decent from the very good but that's about it. The elite applicants get two S grades at STEP. But I agree that maths/further maths A level is a trivial exercise for top applicants.

I don't quite agree with what you're saying here. It's taken by circa 2% of the top A-Level mathematicians in the country, is that really a reasonable definition of 'decent'? I'd say it more separates the excellent/brilliant from the very good.
Original post by ClickItBack
I just want to echo what some others have said: if you think you'll find A Level Further Maths too difficult, why do you think you'll be able to cope with a university degree in Maths?

do you do further maths?
can you do a maths degree without further maths and physics at a level?

I do biology maths and chemistry, i got 4 offers for maths :smile:
Original post by Zacken
I don't quite agree with what you're saying here. It's taken by circa 2% of the top A-Level mathematicians in the country, is that really a reasonable definition of 'decent'? I'd say it more separates the excellent/brilliant from the very good.

Remember some people in the top 2% do not take STEP. I also tend to use the word excellent rarely and decent means A* in maths/further maths A level. Of the students of mine that took STEP the ones I call excellent all got two S grades in STEP.
Reply 71
Remember some people in the top 2% do not take STEP. I also tend to use the word excellent rarely and decent means A* in maths/further maths A level. Of the students of mine that took STEP the ones I call excellent all got two S grades in STEP.

Which ones wouldn't take STEP? A lot of people get A* in M/FM at A-Level, considerably more than the number of people who sit STEP, hence my questioning of why you'd label it as decent.
Also OP not sure if it has been mentioned, but I hope you also consider the benefits to you of learning further maths and physics.

It ain't a requirement at so many places for sh**s and giggles.

Fairly certain taking FM will make your life easier too in terms of learning harder mathematical concepts and being familiar with things that will be developed
do you do further maths?

I did Further Maths, years ago, yes. And then a degree in maths. The degree was a lot harder than the A Level. Like, a lot harder.

Edit: I don't mean to discourage you from doing a degree in maths but I think it is only fair to let you know that Further Maths A Level is less challenging than a degree in Maths (at most universities).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Which ones wouldn't take STEP? A lot of people get A* in M/FM at A-Level, considerably more than the number of people who sit STEP, hence my questioning of why you'd label it as decent.

Most do take STEP but not all.

I use the word decent as a higher classification than you do. Just like kids today throw around the word great at the drop of a hat. As I said, the students I have had that I consider excellent murdered STEP. As they should have, it isn't exactly difficult.
Reply 75
Most do take STEP but not all.

I use the word decent as a higher classification than you do. Just like kids today throw around the word great at the drop of a hat. As I said, the students I have had that I consider excellent murdered STEP. As they should have, it isn't exactly difficult.

My point is that you use the word decent as a higher classification than most people do, making your post slightly ill suited for general consumption unless caveated as such.
Original post by Zacken
My point is that you use the word decent as a higher classification than most people do, making your post slightly ill suited for general consumption unless caveated as such.

Perhaps. But you are young, aren't you?

From just glancing at your posts I would think you are applying to both the university I attended and the one I am a prof. at.
Reply 77
Perhaps. But you are young, aren't you?

From just glancing at your posts I would think you are applying to both the university I attended and the one I am a prof. at.

Yeah, I am, fair enough. I'm probably being biased, given that I'm sitting it for my offer. :tongue:

Which one is that? If I may ask, you've piqued my curiosity.
Original post by Zacken
Yeah, I am, fair enough. I'm probably being biased, given that I'm sitting it for my offer. :tongue:

Which one is that? If I may ask, you've piqued my curiosity.

I went to Trinity College, Cambridge as an undergraduate.

I just noticed you state on your profile you cannot sit STEP? Why? And I also notice you are not applying to Oxford.
Reply 79
I went to Trinity College, Cambridge as an undergraduate.

I just noticed you state on your profile you cannot sit STEP? Why? And I also notice you are not applying to Oxford.

Ah, okay. That's impressive.

It's a bit of an inside joke with my friends, don't take that part seriously, I will be sitting STEP. You cannot apply to both Oxford and Cambridge in the same admissions cycle, Cambridge was the obvious choice for me.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest