The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Student Accommodation 2016/17

Hi,
I firmed/accepted my place for Law at The University of Edinburgh last week and I've been having a look at some of the undergraduate accommodation - there is so much choice! Has anyone else accepted their offer/wanting to go to Edinburgh and if so what accommodation are you looking into? Catered/self-catered?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by danielcormack98
Hello there! I have also firmed my place for Law. As you have said, there is a great deal of choice, but some of the cheaper options do appear quite outdated - it looks rather hit and miss.

For me, I'll be looking at self-catered accommodation. I like the look of Deaconess, Sugarhouse Close, Portsburgh Court and Abbeyhill, but the latter appears to be the furthest away from campus out of all of these options.

What accommodation do you fancy? And also, do you happen to know when the accommodation applications open?

Congratulations! You're the first person I've found that has also got an offer for Law!

Okay so, the idea of having set meal times and food provided every day is really appealing to me and therefore I'm leaning towards catered accommodation. However, to get catered accommodation with an en-suite means the price gets more expensive.

Personally, I prefer the modern look of the self-catered accommodation -Sugarhouse Close/Abbeyhill/Murano - my favourite out of these three being Sugarhouse Close.

It's a very difficult decision - and an important one! I know they have tours at their post-applicant open days which are next month so I'm hoping to find out more then.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
I'm really only looking at Mylnes Court as it's the only one I'll be able to afford.
Original post by ae3164
Congratulations! You're the first person I've found that has also got an offer for Law!

Okay so, the idea of having set meal times and food provided every day is really appealing to me and therefore I'm leaning towards catered accommodation. However, to get catered accommodation with an en-suite means the price gets more expensive.

Personally, I prefer the modern look of the self-catered accommodation -Sugarhouse Close/Abbeyhill/Murano - my favourite out of these three being Sugarhouse Close.

It's a very difficult decision - and an important one! I know they have tours at their post-applicant open days which are next month so I'm hoping to find out more then.

I just accepted my offer for the Law program for next year also! I think I have decided to take Sugarhouse Close also so I am glad to be with other first year law students. I close it because honestly its one of the nicest ones and i fell in love with it. It is about a 5 minute walk to Old College so its rather close and near the Royal Mile and other fun spots in the city.
Reply 4
Original post by danielcormack98
Hello there! I have also firmed my place for Law. As you have said, there is a great deal of choice, but some of the cheaper options do appear quite outdated - it looks rather hit and miss.

For me, I'll be looking at self-catered accommodation. I like the look of Deaconess, Sugarhouse Close, Portsburgh Court and Abbeyhill, but the latter appears to be the furthest away from campus out of all of these options.

What accommodation do you fancy? And also, do you happen to know when the accommodation applications open?

Hey! Congrats on your offer! I've just firmed my place too, not for law but for philosophy and mathematics.

Like you I'm looking at self-catered accommodation and I love the look of Deaconess too as it's very central to student life (on the Pleasance) and looks really modern.

Having read through previous Accommodation threads they've all recommended to avoid Abbeyhill like the plague as it's so far out you become almost excluded from student life. I've also seen lots of positive reviews of the less modern accommodation as the majority of them have newly refurbished common rooms and kitchens.

I think the applications will open within the next couple of weeks as the website says 'Late February' but I'm unsure. Hopefully they'll email to let us know when they're live.
Reply 5
So glad I found this thread. I received an offer from Edinburgh for biological sciences and will firm it as soon as all of my other decisions are in. But I'm a bit worried about choosing the best accommodation.

I'll be applying for the university accommodation as soon as applications are open. It seems like there is a lot of choice, and I can't even settle of if whether I want catered or self-catered. And what are the chances of getting what you applied for?

Budget is another worry. I would much rather have catered accommodation but what is the price difference if I chose to buy my own food? And when it comes to location since science and engineering is in the King's Building I'd much rather be as close as I can to uni.

Also I couldn't find the self-catering accommodation options.. Can anyone supply me with a link or something? That'd be great.
Those who applied for Law, when did you apply?
Original post by ellabella32
Those who applied for Law, when did you apply?

I am international and applied in October and found out in November :smile:
Original post by ae3164
Hi,
I firmed/accepted my place for Law at The University of Edinburgh last week and I've been having a look at some of the undergraduate accommodation - there is so much choice! Has anyone else accepted their offer/wanting to go to Edinburgh and if so what accommodation are you looking into? Catered/self-catered?

I'm doing Law also and I am doing self catered first choice at Sugarhouse Close :smile:
Original post by biancajade
I am international and applied in October and found out in November :smile:

Thank you! well done, that is amazing! I am a Scottish student, I applied in November but I am still to hear back which is slightly worrying me now! I like the look of Deaconess the most I think x
Thank you! well done, that is amazing! I am a Scottish student, I applied in November but I am still to hear back which is slightly worrying me now! I like the look of Deaconess the most I think x

No! dont worry I know they usually take a while to answer I just got lucky because I applied so early. And thank you :smile: Hope to see you there! I am looking at Sugarhouse Close but Deaconess is my second choice.
Original post by biancajade
No! dont worry I know they usually take a while to answer I just got lucky because I applied so early. And thank you :smile: Hope to see you there! I am looking at Sugarhouse Close but Deaconess is my second choice.

I just got an unconditional!!!
From the perspective of a current resident of Abbeyhill, I can't fault them the staff are all very friendly and there are events giving out free food and stuff every week. I don't feel in anyway excluded from student life. Having Cowgate just up the road means you usually end up hosting the after party. Extremely modern, and no charge for lock outs either!
I just got an unconditional!!!

Congratulations!!! Hope to see you there then :biggrin:
Reply 14
I've firmed my place for Maths and I definitely want self catered.

Sugarhouse close and deaconess are my favourite because they're close to the gym.
Hello! Congratulations to everyone having their offers! I am an exchange student coming to Edinburgh this September:smile: Thinking about accommodation right now and is choosing between places directly above streets, e.g. Nicholson Street or South Clerk Street, or places a bit faraway from the crowds and traffics, e.g. Darroch Court or Meadow Court.

Are there any advice or comments, especially for those above the streets? They are soooo near to the campus and this factor is so appealing to me, yet I am not sure about the quality of those flats and also the environment near them. I am the type of person who doesn't like drinking and going to clubs. Will living above a bar (i.e. Nicholson Street) cause disturbance to me if I happen to get back home late at night?
does anyone know how competitive it is for accommodation at edinburgh?? as I'm fussy and genuinely worried I'll be put in the shittest flat away from everyone. also does anyone know how the application actually works??
Reply 17
I don't think application for accommodation has started yet, has it? They've only really started handing out offers in recent weeks so I'm guessing they'll send us email updates nearer the time
Original post by pollysel97
I don't think application for accommodation has started yet, has it? They've only really started handing out offers in recent weeks so I'm guessing they'll send us email updates nearer the time

A few days ago the site said that applications for accommodations are going to start at the end of February, but now they've changed it to around the end of March. We'll probably get an email when they do open them..
Reply 19
Extremely competitive. Most people I known in previous years never got their first choice.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending