The Student Room Group

Booking a hotel as a 17-year old

I'm considering Edinburgh Uni, but it's decently far from where I live and I've never travelled anywhere on my own. I'd like to book a hotel for a night or two and explore the city by myself, but I can't find any hotels in Edinburgh that'll allow 17-year olds to stay by themselves. It's somewhat ridiculous given that I'm a legal adult in this country: apparently I'm mature enough to book student accommodation for a year but incapable of staying in a hotel by myself. Does anyone know any hotels in Edinburgh that'd allow me to stay?
(edited 1 month ago)
I know it might feel ridiculous, but entering into most contracts and agreements at 17 is still considered a teen. If you run up bills or cause damage it's harder to take action against you.
Reply 2
Original post by NameUserer
I'm considering Edinburgh Uni, but it's decently far from where I live and I've never travelled anywhere on my own. I'd like to book a hotel for a night or two and explore the city by myself, but I can't find any hotels in Edinburgh that'll allow 17-year olds to stay by themselves. It's somewhat ridiculous given that I'm a legal adult in this country: apparently I'm mature enough to book student accommodation for a year but incapable of staying in a hotel by myself. Does anyone know any hotels in Edinburgh that'd allow me to stay?
You could try a youth hostel. The minimum age is 16. Edinburgh Central (hostellingscotland.org.uk)
Original post by NameUserer

your a teen not an adult you have to be 18 or older to call your self an adult so they will not let you in a hotel
Booking a hotel at 17 can be tricky due to age restrictions.
Try independent hotels that are not chain. They typically do not have an age limit, or if they do it is over 16 and likely will not have a reception. They may have a key safe instead.
Don't feel too discouraged by the hotel restrictions - it is definitely frustrating! @catlover1 makes a really good suggestion to look at independent hotels that may have a lower age limit. And I think @marple has the best idea - you should definitely consider Edinburgh Central Hostel.

Quick Reply

Latest