The Student Room Group

Dealing with exam nerves?

Hi there,
Basically, I'm finding it difficult to overcome exam nerves. For example, today we had a mock and I was so scared and I didn't even know why. When I lifted up my pen, my hand was shaking so much and it just threw me off and I made some stupid mistakes because of exam nerves. What I am worried about is that if this is what happens on a mock, what will happen when the GCSE's begin! Please give me any advice as I just don't want to lose marks when I have revised so much but my nerves get the better of me. Thanks in advance.:smile:
Original post by leopard923
Hi there,
Basically, I'm finding it difficult to overcome exam nerves. For example, today we had a mock and I was so scared and I didn't even know why. When I lifted up my pen, my hand was shaking so much and it just threw me off and I made some stupid mistakes because of exam nerves. What I am worried about is that if this is what happens on a mock, what will happen when the GCSE's begin! Please give me any advice as I just don't want to lose marks when I have revised so much but my nerves get the better of me. Thanks in advance.:smile:

You obviously need to be prepared for it and not leave revision too late so start now. Make sure you eat a good nutrtious break fast with slow releasing carbs like weeatbix and oatmeal. Before your given the paper take a slow deep breath. Get in the 'zone' of intense focus. Keep some water and tissues with you. My palms get quite sweaty so i keep a tissue nearby. Listen to some music before the exam to get calm. Keep positive! :smile:
Everybody gets nervous before exams, don't worry. I actually used to throw up every morning before an exam simply due to nerves.

My main advice would be to train yourself to become more used to it. It might help to take past papers at home in complete exam conditions as often as possible. This way you're revising at the same time as learning to cope with the pressure of taking the exam, which will hopefully help with your nerves. Plus, by getting used to the exam format you'll avoid any panic that could occur in the actual exam as you'll know exactly how the paper is structured.

Something else that really helped me was to picture myself succeeding. I know it sounds really cringey and cliche but imagining myself acing the exam I was about to sit and telling myself that I really could genuinely helped me with my nerves.
Reply 3
Original post by Shiv is Light
You obviously need to be prepared for it and not leave revision too late so start now. Make sure you eat a good nutrtious break fast with slow releasing carbs like weeatbix and oatmeal. Before your given the paper take a slow deep breath. Get in the 'zone' of intense focus. Keep some water and tissues with you. My palms get quite sweaty so i keep a tissue nearby. Listen to some music before the exam to get calm. Keep positive! :smile:

Thanks for this:tongue:the tissues are a really good idea as my hands get quite sweaty too!
Reply 4
Original post by JStimo
Everybody gets nervous before exams, don't worry. I actually used to throw up every morning before an exam simply due to nerves.

My main advice would be to train yourself to become more used to it. It might help to take past papers at home in complete exam conditions as often as possible. This way you're revising at the same time as learning to cope with the pressure of taking the exam, which will hopefully help with your nerves. Plus, by getting used to the exam format you'll avoid any panic that could occur in the actual exam as you'll know exactly how the paper is structured.

Something else that really helped me was to picture myself succeeding. I know it sounds really cringey and cliche but imagining myself acing the exam I was about to sit and telling myself that I really could genuinely helped me with my nerves.

Wow omg throw up! That must have been horrible! Thanks for the advice- I like the last idea especially lol:tongue:
just think " **** it, if I do good I do good, if I don't then I don't"

not the end of the world m8
Reply 6
Original post by The Diplomat.
just think " **** it, if I do good I do good, if I don't then I don't"

not the end of the world m8

True lol thanks:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest