The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Literacy and Numeracy Test Nursing 2016 - KCL

Hello, was just wondering if anyone that has had a literacy and numeracy test at KCL could help me out. I think i'm alright with the numeracy test but i understand the literacy tests vary quite a lot from university to university.

Is the KCL literacy test more short and snappy- such as 'tick the correct adverb'. Or is it more like, asking you a question and them expecting a short essay type of thing to assess your grammar. If this is the case, what sort of questions were asked?

Lastly- i know people find the experience interviews different but briefly- what are the MMI's like? and what sort of things did they ask?

Any help would be sooooooo appreciated!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lauren-Jade-Ariz
Hello, was just wondering if anyone that has had a literacy and numeracy test at KCL could help me out. I think i'm alright with the numeracy test but i understand the literacy tests vary quite a lot from university to university.

Is the KCL literacy test more short and snappy- such as 'tick the correct adverb'. Or is it more like, asking you a question and them expecting a short essay type of thing to assess your grammar. If this is the case, what sort of questions were asked?

Lastly- i know people find the experience interviews different but briefly- what are the MMI's like? and what sort of things did they ask?

Any help would be sooooooo appreciated!!

Hey I had my test on the 27th. With the numeracy it's basic questions like add this together or conversions. Bear in mind that the pass mark for maths is 13/15.
With the literacy you have to read a story and answer questions on it. Very simple but just make sure that your grammar and spelling is good.
Still waiting on my results. But best of luck!!
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by Ashleyjkanne
Hey I had my test on the 27th. With the numeracy it's basic questions like add this together or conversions. Bear in mind that the pass mark for maths is 13/15.
With the literacy you have to read a story and answer questions on it. Very simple but just make sure that your grammar and spelling is good.

Ahh thank you!! Good luck to you!

So you did not have your interview on the same day?
Ahh thank you!! Good luck to you!

So you did not have your interview on the same day?

No. I think you only have an interview on the same day if you live far. I live 20 minutes away so I think that's why I wasn't offered an interview.
No. I think you only have an interview on the same day if you live far. I live 20 minutes away so I think that's why I wasn't offered an interview.

I live about 1hr-1.30hr train away, do you think I would be offered one on the same day?
I live about 1hr-1.30hr train away, do you think I would be offered one on the same day?

Sorry the pass mark is 12/15 and to be honest I don't think so. Met a girl that lived all the way in Surrey and she didn't get one.
Sorry the pass mark is 12/15 and to be honest I don't think so. Met a girl that lived all the way in Surrey and she didn't get one.

Alright thanks so so much! I'm a bit less worried now, only thing i'm worried about is the literature but we'll see.
Reply 7
hello,

i have the numeracy and literacy test on the 10th of Feb. and im so confused with the structure of literacy test paper because i found 2 different examples of the test papers from kings collage university. one paper is based on English skills including 2 questions whereas on the other paper its only one question specifically linked to midwifery, i called up the uni but they didn't know too. plz help im scared.
Original post by Reema.s
hello,

i have the numeracy and literacy test on the 10th of Feb. and im so confused with the structure of literacy test paper because i found 2 different examples of the test papers from kings collage university. one paper is based on English skills including 2 questions whereas on the other paper its only one question specifically linked to midwifery, i called up the uni but they didn't know too. plz help im scared.

That's because midwifery and nursing have different tests. Don't be scared!
Reply 9
That's because midwifery and nursing have different tests. Don't be scared!

so whats the structure of the paper and how should i revise for it.
I also have to take the test on 18 Feb.let me know your outcome.Good luck
Original post by Reema.s

Thats what i'm also confused about, i want to know if its something i can prepare for such as 'describe a time you were a leader' or if it will just be a random question we can't really prepare for where they test your grammar, spelling etc.
Original post by Reema.s

So how was the literacy and numeracy test like?

Is the test calculator or non calculator? Where there any drug dosage questions on it too? Or just simple maths, like percentages, fractions and decimals?
Original post by Victorious123
I also have to take the test on 18 Feb.let me know your outcome.Good luck

How did the test go? Any guidance ?
Reply 15
Hi guys, I received an offer for child nursing at kings recently. The numeracy test is pretty similar to the practise ones, just make sure you use the services they've provided for you on the website! It's the literacy test that's tricky as it's hard to write 12/15 marks worth in 20 minutes , but my best advice would be to take 5 minutes to read the text and then answer the questions as detailed as possible, it's about quality not quantity at the end of the day. Good luck!
Original post by Ettaxo
Hi guys, I received an offer for child nursing at kings recently. The numeracy test is pretty similar to the practise ones, just make sure you use the services they've provided for you on the website! It's the literacy test that's tricky as it's hard to write 12/15 marks worth in 20 minutes , but my best advice would be to take 5 minutes to read the text and then answer the questions as detailed as possible, it's about quality not quantity at the end of the day. Good luck!

On what day did you do your test if I may ask ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by MartinaRodrigues
On what day did you do your test if I may ask ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

9th of December
Reply 18
[QUOTE=Ettaxo;63004131]Hi guys, I received an offer for child nursing at kings recently. The numeracy test is pretty similar to the practise ones, just make sure you use the services they've provided for you on the website! It's the literacy test that's tricky as it's hard to write 12/15 marks worth in 20 minutes , but my best advice would be to take 5 minutes to read the text and then answer the questions as detailed as possible, it's about quality not quantity at the end of the day. Good luck!

Congrats Have they give you a place after they have said they are considering you as widening oaticipotant candidate
Original post by Ettaxo
9th of December

That's great congratulations! How long did they get back to you by? I just had my exam this week.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest