The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Find cosxcosx+sinxdx\displaystyle \int\frac{cosx}{cosx+sinx}dx

Quite possibly one of the best STEP questions ever written :biggrin:
Original post by Zacken
Fam... x2dx=x1\int x^{-2} \, \mathrm{d}x = -x^{-1}, where'd you get ln\ln from? :tongue:

Edit to add: Remember that when you integrate, you need to put in modulus terms for logarithms, so even if you managed a logarithmic term, you'd have ln1=ln1=0\ln |-1| = \ln 1 = 0 (which isn't bad maths at all, there's a justification for us placing moduli on logarithm arguments, btw, if you're interested)

I figured I'd flex my Integration by Parts muscles :cool: (Positive there's a mistake somewhere as I did it on CodeCogs straight out of my head)... Suffice to say this isn't my brightest hour

u=1xu = \frac{1}{x}, dvdx=1x\frac{dv}{dx} = \frac{1}{x}

dudx=1x2\frac{du}{dx}= \frac{-1}{x^2}, v=lnxv = \ln|x|
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Euclidean
I figured I'd flex my Integration by Parts muscles :cool: (Positive there's a mistake somewhere as I did it on CodeCogs straight out of my head)... Suffice to say this isn't my brightest hour

The point of this was that you're meant to get 11x2dx=2\displaystyle \int_{-1}^1 x^{-2} \, \mathrm{d}x = -2 and then if you were paying attention, you'd ask yourself why a positive everywhere function was returning a negative area. :tongue:

You can integrate over asymptotes if the function is nicely behaved, by the way, it's not just because of the asymptote that the integral doesn't converge. :-)
Original post by Zacken
The point of this was that you're meant to get 11x2dx=2\displaystyle \int_{-1}^1 x^{-2} \, \mathrm{d}x = -2 and then if you were paying attention, you'd ask yourself why a positive everywhere function was returning a negative area. :tongue:

You can integrate over asymptotes if the function is nicely behaved, by the way, it's not just because of the asymptote that the integral doesn't converge. :-)

I failed. But the important thing is, I'm asking the question now :lol:

So you can evaluate some integrals over asymptotes and return with finite values? Seems ludicrous, I'm imagining the Riemann sum over an asymptote and questioning exactly how that works :K:

edit: Is this to do with the fact that the function isn't defined for x=0? Though I can't see how that would result in a negative result..
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Guess maybe I've been doing too much STEP! :lol: Cool proof for anybody (else, obviously not you :tongue: ) reading this:

tanx=sinxcosx=cos(π2x)sin(π2x)=cot(π2x)\displaystyle \tan x = \frac{\sin x}{\cos x} = \frac{\cos \left(\frac{\pi}{2} - x\right)}{\sin \left(\frac{\pi}{2} - x\right)} = \cot \left(\frac{\pi}{2} -x\right)

Adding to my notes :yep:

So you can evaluate some integrals over asymptotes and return with finite values? Seems ludicrous, I'm imagining the Riemann sum over an asymptote and questioning exactly how that works :K:

edit: Is this to do with the fact that the function isn't defined for x=0? Though I can't see how that would result in a negative result..

Try integrating 01dxx3\displaystyle \int_0^1 \frac{\mathrm{d}x}{\sqrt[3]{x}}.
Original post by Serine Soul
Adding to my notes :yep:

Short and sweet, my favourite kind! :yep:
Original post by Zacken
Try integrating 01dxx3\displaystyle \int_0^1 \frac{\mathrm{d}x}{\sqrt[3]{x}}.

01dxx3=32\displaystyle \int_0^1 \frac{\mathrm{d}x}{\sqrt[3]{x}} = \frac{3}{2}

Interesting, the graph tends to ±\pm\infty as x tends to 0 from both directions, so how does that integral of a curve which spans in an infinite direction return a finite value...

And also, why does 111x2dx\displaystyle \int_{-1}^{1} \frac{1}{x^2} \mathrm{d}x not
(edited 8 years ago)
01dxx3=32\displaystyle \int_0^1 \frac{\mathrm{d}x}{\sqrt[3]{x}} = \frac{3}{2}

Interesting, the graph tends to ±\pm\infty as x tends to 0 from both directions, so how does that integral of a curve which spans in an infinite direction return a finite value...

Yep, that function is "nicely behaved" enough. :colone:
Original post by Zacken
Yep, that function is "nicely behaved" enough. :colone:

Oh the ambiguity :redface:
Oh the ambiguity :redface:

Read this for the moment. It's three in the morning right now, but if you remind me some other time, I'll see if I can type up some of my waffling on the matter. :biggrin:
Original post by Zacken
Read this for the moment. It's three in the morning right now, but if you remind me some other time, I'll see if I can type up some of my waffling on the matter. :biggrin:

I gave it a read, I don't understand much of what is going on. The examples clarified the three points though, I'll remind you in the morning as I am very interested to hear more about this :biggrin:

Riemann sums actually don't converge if the function is unbounded on the interval. In order to define the integral, you have to split the interval up and take limits at every asymptote, like here http://www.sosmath.com/calculus/improper/intro/intro.html
I was thinking a little about this yesterday, the reason the Riemann sum fails seems to be because the Riemann sum allows for overestimation of the area, or more exactly, no matter how small the partition, we can choose a value of the function in the unbounded section as large as we want, making the area as large as we want. But not all this area lies under the curve.
Capture.PNG
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by EricPiphany
Riemann sums actually don't converge if the function is unbounded on the interval.

I think that depends on the measure of the set of discontinuities. I recall seeing quite a few Lebesgue integrable functions whose set of discontinuities had measure zero having their Riemann sums converge to certain integrals.
Quite possibly one of the best STEP questions ever written :biggrin:

Just a suggestion, I personally don't have an issue with it but you might want to move this conversation. Since this is the C4 thread, some people might not realise that these are questions that are well beyond the level of c4 at times and cause them to worry that they aren't able to answer them. Just something to consider, nice questions though I enjoyed them.
Original post by Zacken
I think that depends on the measure of the set of discontinuities. I recall seeing quite a few Lebesgue integrable functions whose set of discontinuities had measure zero having their Riemann sums converge to certain integrals.

I don't know anything about Lebesgue. I believe unbounded functions aren't Riemann integrable.
Original post by samb1234
Just a suggestion, I personally don't have an issue with it but you might want to move this conversation. Since this is the C4 thread, some people might not realise that these are questions that are well beyond the level of c4 at times and cause them to worry that they aren't able to answer them. Just something to consider, nice questions though I enjoyed them.

All questions here (if not most of them) are accessible with C4 knowledge, by no means are they easy or questions that you'll find in an Edexcel exam, but its good for people to try them. Though I definitely understand where you're coming from

I think it'd be best to add a little disclaimer to each of those questions to specify that it's definitely extension material, best of both worlds. :-)
Original post by Zacken
I think it'd be best to add a little disclaimer to each of those questions to specify that it's definitely extension material, best of both worlds. :-)

Yeah that works as well, as I say there's nothing wrong with it just need to be careful that we don't cause people to panic that they can't do them
Yeah that works as well, as I say there's nothing wrong with it just need to be careful that we don't cause people to panic that they can't do them

I defo agree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending