The Student Room Group

Language GCSE Speaking Exam

Hey there,
I have my Japanese speaking exam in 3 weeks from now and I am able to remember the speech but not any of the follow-up questions. I am fairly bad at Japanese and our teacher has said that we NEED to KNOW the follow up questions and general conversations off by heart to be able to get any good grades. Please help me learn around 20 answers to Questions. I really need the help.
Thanks
Reply 1
Well 3 weeks is a long time to prepare for a speaking exam, so just learn a little each day and you'll be fine. I didn't know that you could have longer than a week to prepare for GCSE oral! (I do GCSE French and Spanish)

You simply need to practice, practice and practice as much as you possibly can.
I think the best method to do this (for me anyway) is to write down the first letter of each word on flashcards (so each question of a different one) and see how much of your oral you know by saying it out loud using those first letters only. You could also record yourself saying it and listen to it lots of times.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by S2000_
Well 3 weeks is a long time to prepare for a speaking exam, so just learn a little each day and you'll be fine. I didn't know that you could have longer than a week to prepare for GCSE oral! (I do GCSE French and Spanish)

You simply need to practice, practice and practice as much as you possibly can.
I think the best method to do this (for me anyway) is to write down the first letter of each word on flashcards (so each question of a different one) and see how much of your oral you know by saying it out loud using those first letters only. You could also record yourself saying it and listen to it lots of times.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the advice, but I am not sure what to do about the follow up questions..
Original post by siddy204
Hey there,
I have my Japanese speaking exam in 3 weeks from now and I am able to remember the speech but not any of the follow-up questions. I am fairly bad at Japanese and our teacher has said that we NEED to KNOW the follow up questions and general conversations off by heart to be able to get any good grades. Please help me learn around 20 answers to Questions. I really need the help.
Thanks

what do you mean about follow up questions? are you given them or are they surprise ones?
Reply 4
Original post by tinawu
what do you mean about follow up questions? are you given them or are they surprise ones?

We were told that they all may come up or some of them, but we were told to memorise the answers to them
Original post by siddy204
We were told that they all may come up or some of them, but we were told to memorise the answers to them

well alright, well what i do is i write all the questions out and i read it through once just to hear what it sounds like and then i read it through again and try and memorise as much as i can. after that, i deconstruct the sentences into individual sentences, or parts of a sentence if it's a long one and memorise it slowly from there. at the end, try and say the whole answer, if you get stuck, just read through the bit you didnt get again.

for my chinese speaking, there were follow up questions too, i basically tried to infer as much from my speech as possible and learn some extra information that weren't the actual follow up questions if that makes sense? so if i suddenly had a blanked out moment, i could somewhat stall for time by saying stuff related to my speech.

as you have 3 weeks, that gives you 20 days from now to learn all answers, lets say you start right now, that leaves you at least one day left at the end for you to consolidate and secure all your answers.

Quick Reply

Latest