The Student Room Group

"I'm not fat, I'm big boned"

The funny thing is, the smaller your bones are, the smaller your joints are, thus making you look bigger/fatter than you actually are.

Scroll to see replies

An xray of a fat and healthy weight person, for consideration. As if you needed more proof.

How's that weight gain plan going then?
As well as no such thing as big boned is there such thing thing as small boned?

Because I'm skinny and starting to think I'm small boned?
Original post by Mactotaur
An xray of a fat and healthy weight person, for consideration. As if you needed more proof.

120lbs is not healthy lol
Original post by RomanKing
As well as no such thing as big boned is there such thing thing as small boned?

Because I'm skinny and starting to think I'm small boned?
Big/small bones does exist. But if they do, it would actually make no sense if fat people say they're fat because of their bone size because the bigger your bone structure is, the smaller you should appear.

Original post by Eternalflames
repped

Original post by Serine Soul
How's that weight gain plan going then?
repped

repped
Original post by GeologyMaths

It's clearly a woman. 120lb is perfect. Much "healthier" than 250lb.

It is if you're short. You have to be very tall for 250lb to be healthy.
Original post by CantGainWeight
Big/small bones does exist. But if they do, it would actually make no sense if fat people say they're fat because of their bone size because the bigger your bone structure is, the smaller you should appear.

They do exist, but having substantially larger or denser bones is a rare thing and it doesn't usually occur throughout your entire body. Remember that arm wrestler who had one freakishly large arm?
SO JUST to clarify, I can't be small boned? It's just purely luck of muscle/ fat etc.
SO JUST to clarify, I can't be small boned? It's just purely luck of muscle/ fat etc.

You can have a smaller frame than other people and thus appear smaller.
"Big boned" generally refers to the density of the bones, which you would not be able to see in an x-ray.

However this also wouldn't make a person look fatter, it would make their weight on scales heavier and so both arguments cancel out eachother really.

I'm around that :s-smilie:
Original post by ByronicHero
You can have a smaller frame than other people and thus appear smaller.

I do have a 'small frame' I guess thus meaning small boned/ low density of bones? + not working out = I'm skinny?

Although, if you are skinny the likeliest explanation is that you don't eat enough calories, even though you might feel like you do. Good idea to get a checkup with your GP to rule out any problems though if you're worried about it.
Im fat, that being said I was always "built" larger than other guys.

When people say big boned they don't literallly mean big boned (very few really do) big built is probably more what they meant.

When I was a few pounds underweight people called me fat because I have the frame where I have large hands feet shoulders etc.

But right now I am fat, but people think I am much smaller than I actually am and can't believe when I tell them what weight I really am.

Some of the responses seem very one sided and just a put down on overweight people.

I am literally "thick skinned" when I had an op when I was skinny doctors were surprised how thick the skin was as they werent expecting it then also when I felt no pain when they were cutting into me.
Reply 16
Original post by CantGainWeight
The funny thing is, the smaller your bones are, the smaller your joints are, thus making you look bigger/fatter than you actually are.

Bones don't jiggle.
I do have a 'small frame' I guess thus meaning small boned/ low density of bones? + not working out = I'm skinny?

Possibly. People can have smaller than average frames and larger than average frames, though the latter does not really account for a person being overweight.

In your case, if you have a narrow frame, low muscle mass and low body fat then you will appear to be very slim. To be honest this would be the case even if you have a very average frame.
Original post by MasterButcher
Maybe if you quit eating 100 McDonald's a day then you wouldn't be a fattie boom boom.

I know you are trolling but people often have the silly idea that fat people ONLY eat the worst types of junk, you can get fat eating healthily just as you can be thin and eat junk and be unhealthy.

I have in the past sat eating salad and had some bottled water for some idiots to make comments like "fatty aint fooling nobody" or "if I was that fat I would kill myself"

In some ways I find their comments either funny (and insulting) or just insulting as the people who make such comments are the ones who have things like cigarettes or eating food like pizza in front of me so are hypocrites.

I can honestly say the last time I went to McDonalds/KFC/Burger King I can't remember, think KFC was about 6 months ago and Mcdonalds about 4 months ago, I had some packets of crisps over last few days as snacks as away from home as never eat them normally, don't eat sweets that often, don't smoke or drink, prefer home cooking to takeaways.

My problem is I go through phases of starving and overeating depending on depression.

That is a funny looking x-ray.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest