The Student Room Group

Stats ques.

"I have a die with six faces numbered consecutively from 1 to 6. What is odd about it is that the probability of rolling the face with the number k is c*q^k, where c is a constant and q=0.96 What is the expected value of the roll of the dice"

I'm abit puzzled why I'm getting a wrong answer. The answer is 3.3811 according to mark scheme.
Don't you just integrate k*c*q^k between 1 to 6. As for c I got 0.191798..
Original post by Mentally
"I have a die with six faces numbered consecutively from 1 to 6. What is odd about it is that the probability of rolling the face with the number k is c*q^k, where c is a constant and q=0.96 What is the expected value of the roll of the dice"

I'm abit puzzled why I'm getting a wrong answer. The answer is 3.3811 according to mark scheme.

Yikes.. integrating kcq^k wrt k sounds like a nasty business, how did you do it?
Reply 2
Original post by Mentally

I've not completed this question myself, but the distribution is discrete, not continuous, so your integration should be a summation.

Original post by SeanFM
Yikes.. integrating kcq^k wrt k sounds like a nasty business, how did you do it?

For interest's sake, in this case you would write qk=ekln(q)q^k=e^{k\ln(q)} and proceed from there.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by joostan
I've not completed this question myself, but the distribution is discrete, not continuous, so your integration should be a summation.

For interest's sake, in this case you would write qk=ekln(q)q^k=e^{k\ln(q)} and proceed from there.

Ah, I see. Not something you come across at A-level though :tongue: I was thinking of using the definition of integration in the discrete case too, and it should get them the right answer. :h:.
Reply 4
Original post by SeanFM
I used Joostan method

Original post by joostan
*facepalm* ofcourse, I need to stop making these dumb mistakes lol

Original post by SeanFM
Ah, I see. Not something you come across at A-level though :tongue: I was thinking of using the definition of integration in the discrete case too, and it should get them the right answer. :h:.
Its my Uni-work, but it resembles some content that some able S2 students should be able to do so I posted anyway:redface:
Thanks so much for the help guys!

Quick Reply

Latest