The Student Room Group

Working in Radians

Uhm maybe a stupid question...

Can you use the formula for an area of a non right-angled triangle using radians...

a= 1/2bh x sin theta

I have noticed I keep getting the same answer for area of triangle and area of sector the triangle is in. Which obviously is not correct - the formula are more or less the same.
Original post by christinajane

Can you use the formula for an area of a non right-angled triangle using radians...

a= 1/2bh x sin theta

I have noticed I keep getting the same answer for area of triangle and area of sector the triangle is in. Which obviously is not correct - the formula are more or less the same.

Area of triangle=12absinC \displaystyle \text{Area of triangle}\: = \frac{1}{2}ab \sin C C can be in degrees or radians, just make sure your calculator is in the right setting

Area of sector=12θr2 \displaystyle \text{Area of sector}\: = \frac{1}{2}\theta r^2

so an isoceles triangle with a small angle between the two equal length sides will give roughly the same answer in both formula, although the answers are not usually similar

Edit: could you post an example of a question and your working out
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2

a= 1/2bh x sin theta

Do you mean this?

If so, it should work for any triangle. Could you give me an example of your calculation?
https://0e90d90be05fe2865012661b731d0adbe5865fd8.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYT1JhVExXbEs2dk0/C2%20Chapter%2006.pdf

Question three in the mixed exercise - page 46 in the above link.

I may just be reading the question wrong!

The arc formed by a2 is part of the sector?

So area of sector is

A=1/2x17^2 x 2.16
a=120cm

So i worked out the area re of the triangle using the enclosed angle in radians using the formula:

A = 1/2 d x c x sine theta
a= 1/2 17 X 17 X sin 2.16
a = 120

I got the other parts to the question correct so the value for theta is correct.

I got the correct answer in the end using the formula for the segment.

So its more just for information/interest purposes!

I might just be reading the question wrong though....
Reply 4

A=1/2x17^2 x 2.16
a=120cm

Silly calculation error. :smile:

Try doing that again, A=12×172×2.16=12×289×2.16=144.5×2.16=312.12180A = \frac{1}{2} \times 17^2 \times 2.16 = \frac{1}{2} \times 289 \times 2.16 = 144.5 \times 2.16 = 312.12 \neq 180
Argh again!? haha

I think I am dyslexic....no joke!

Thank you Zacken.
Reply 6
Argh again!? haha

I think I am dyslexic....no joke!

Thank you Zacken.

Not a problem! By the way, when you're replying to someone on here, you should press the "reply" button on their post so that the person receives a notification that you've replied to them! :smile:
Like this? :smile:

Thank you.
Reply 8
Like this? :smile:

Thank you.

Not quite, it seems you haven't pressed the reply button under my post.

Not a problem at all! :biggrin:
Hahah oh god.

Like this then? :smile:

Was pressing the one to the right of your post....Is there any hope for me!?

Have a good day.

Quick Reply

Latest