The Student Room Group

Do i need further maths for medicine?

Do I really need to do Further Maths (AS LEVEL CURRENTLY) in order to have a competitive application for medicine?
I do Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths at the moment and I think that I would have more time to revise for my other subjects if I were to drop Further Maths. I wouldn't have to sit STATS, DECISION and FP1 in two months time. I'm getting pretty bad grades in the mock exams for these currently. I have a really good set of GCSE results, more than needed for places like Cambridge or Oxford, so I'm looking for advice on whether to drop FM or not.

Many thanks guys.
Original post by FMStudent123
Do I really need to do Further Maths (AS LEVEL CURRENTLY) in order to have a competitive application for medicine?
I do Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths at the moment and I think that I would have more time to revise for my other subjects if I were to drop Further Maths. I wouldn't have to sit STATS, DECISION and FP1 in two months time. I'm getting pretty bad grades in the mock exams for these currently. I have a really good set of GCSE results, more than needed for places like Cambridge or Oxford, so I'm looking for advice on whether to drop FM or not.

Many thanks guys.

No. You don't even need maths (except for Cambridge). What you do need is AAA, so focus on getting that and if dropping further maths helps with that then do it. Don't spread yourself too thin.
Reply 2
Original post by ForestCat
No. You don't even need maths (except for Cambridge). What you do need is AAA, so focus on getting that and if dropping further maths helps with that then do it. Don't spread yourself too thin.

Is your answer in reference to A2? Because what I've stated is what I'm currently doing at AS. :smile:
Original post by FMStudent123
Is your answer in reference to A2? Because what I've stated is what I'm currently doing at AS. :smile:

Yes, for A2. But the point still stands. Don't overburden yourself in AS because it can still have a knock on effect in to A2. You really don't need 5 subjects, the only place that is of any benefit for is Barts. And a lot of medical schools will ignore further maths anyway.
No you definitely don't need further maths. If you're struggling then I think dropping it is a good idea.
Reply 5
Yes, for A2. But the point still stands. Don't overburden yourself in AS because it can still have a knock on effect in to A2. You really don't need 5 subjects, the only place that is of any benefit for is Barts. And a lot of medical schools will ignore further maths anyway.

Okay, I see your point and I agree with you. I really needed a second opinion, so thank you very much. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Chief Wiggum
No you definitely don't need further maths. If you're struggling then I think dropping it is a good idea.

I've been debating this in my head for the past two weeks, whether I should drop it or not and I think I am. I have 8A*s and rest As at GCSE and I want a good set of A level results at the end to have a competitve application for Medicine.
Reply 7

You don't even need maths for Cambridge!
Original post by Lista
You don't even need maths for Cambridge!

You realistically essentially do.
I'm not currently doing my A-levels, I'm in year 11 but I know that you don't need to do further maths.
Also, would anybody be able to advise me because I am starting sixth form this year and I too want to go to med school. I'm doing chemistry, biology and maths but for my fourth option in not sure whether to do physics, psychology or English language. What do you think would be best? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LaurenKeane
I'm not currently doing my A-levels, I'm in year 11 but I know that you don't need to do further maths.
Also, would anybody be able to advise me because I am starting sixth form this year and I too want to go to med school. I'm doing chemistry, biology and maths but for my fourth option in not sure whether to do physics, psychology or English language. What do you think would be best? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think it would make a difference.

Which subject does you enjoy the most, or which subject are you best at?
Reply 11
Often further maths and maths aren't even counted as separate subjects for medicine if that helps!
At GCSE level I do English language and physics and I enjoy them both and I'm getting A*'s in them both and I'm not sure about psychology as I've never done it before. Hence why I'm so confused about which to take because I like them all!
Reply 13
Original post by Chief Wiggum
You realistically essentially do.

You really don't, though it's advisable to have the three sciences.
Original post by Lista
You really don't, though it's advisable to have the three sciences.

The Christ's Admissions tutor posted on TSR that Bio, Chem, and Maths are considered the three most relevant subjects for medicine, so I'd say it's highly highly advisable to do all of those to full A2.

Perhaps you got an offer without Maths, it's of course technically possible, but it's rare. Physics is the one that people most commonly haven't done.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending